New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I went Saturday afternoon and had the entire theater to myself. Leather reclining seats and awesome speakers. It was glorious.

2. chodad

chodad Hodad

He should get rid of that fake hairpiece or whatever he's got on his head and go natural like say Neil Young.

3. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I also noticed a lot of added percussion (timpanis) despite there only being 1 drummer in stage (that I saw) on a relative small kit.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  4. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Saw the movie yesterday, and it was wonderful . My girlfriend and I were both moved to tears several times. Really a great experience. I wish he would release the score (as opposed to the soundtrack).

Davidmk5 likes this.
  5. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes I noticed that too. The drummer is really good. Nice laid back style

kouzie likes this.
  6. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

went out & saw the Film last night , Just Amazing !! ~ saw it in a nice theater with great sound , the look , the feel .............makes me the love the Album even more ....

I agree there is certainly some "added" stuff but it's really well done & anyone that loves the album should see this is a good theater , it's like good therapy for the soul .

brownie61 and Glenn coates like this.
  7. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Yep. I mentioned in the other thread specifically about the film that it felt to me like something that 25 years ago would have been a slightly pretentious MTV special with a home video release shortly afterwards. That is not necessarily a criticism. I am just not sure why it merited a cinema release.

I do sort of think Bruce has sort of pushed his luck this year, which is a shame when in the midst of it was one of the best albums of his career, but in the space of 12 months a Netflix special, a soundtrack album to the Netflix special (which in itself is a rather dull audio experience), a new studio album, exclusive tracks on a soundtrack album of a movie inspired by his songs, a movie of his own and a soundtrack album to that movie where the songs are barely distinguishable from the versions on the album on which it was based is just too much and insufficiently quality controlled. And that is just the mainstream releases without even considering the monthly live archive sets.

8. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I agree that WS is one of the best albums of his career (at least his later career). But I also agree that he's kinda all over the place releasing product. Yes, this film probably didn't merit a cinema release, but Springsteen/JLM are very connected with the big money Hollywood studio honchos. I've read they did it to get an Oscar nomination, which wil be the next big trophy they can put in the case. To me, it's a well-crafted, well-performed concert film, with some equally nice cinematography (and occasional pretentious dialogue). I enjoyed it. But a lot of people are saying it's 'Oscar worthy', which seems absurd to me.

At this stage, I get the impression that Bruce wants to be a film or TV personality as much as he wants to be a recording artist. The past couple years have brought us that Hunter of Invisible Game mini-movie, the Netflix Springsteen on Broadway film, the Western Stars film, not to mention countless TV interviews and talk show appearances. Despite his protestations that he has no interest in being a film star, it sure seems he likes being on camera, and that's where he's putting a lot of his focus nowadays.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    RSteven likes this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I’ve seen a couple people mention they think he was going for an Oscar with this, and I don’t get it. What category do you think it would even have a shot for, *IF* it was a flawless film? Best Documentary Feature? Not a chance. That’s the only one it could even conceivably hope for, and there’s just no way it would ever have a chance, unless it were a completely different film.

The Oscars aren’t like the Grammys, where there are 80+ categories. There are only 24 categories for the Oscars and Western Stars just doesn’t fit there anywhere. I mean no offense, but is it possible those talking about the film’s Oscar chances aren’t all that familiar with the actual Academy Awards?

10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I will admit I am not familiar with the Oscar process. Just hearing other people saying this thing is gonna get an Oscar nomination. At any rate, I'll stick my neck out and say that if The Last Waltz didn't get an Oscar nomination, this one sure shouldn't.

mrjinks and walrus like this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can see that. Although I think the Blinded by the Light thing was a footnote, at best. (Only one song, and even that had been heard already by Bruce diehards)

But yeah, the film should've been a Netflix thing like Broadway. It's funny, you get more publicity for a theatrical release vs. a streaming release, but probably ten times more people would've seen it if he'd just put it out on Netflix again.

RSteven likes this.
  12. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

How about a Grammy like best long-form music video, is that still a category? And does Bruce and his management care about it?

I can see Western Stars (the studio album) getting a Grammy nomination.

RSteven and Wildgift like this.
  13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Who cares why it was released in cinemas? It was the right thing to do as the experience cannot be anywhere near as good at home.

And lots of misic documentaries/concert films get limited releases n theatres. E.g. Beatles, Neil Young, Dylan, David Crosby etc. It isn't unusual at all. Don't compare films like this with cheap shot on video 80s/90s stuff.

brownie61 and Davidmk5 like this.
  14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Interesting that "The Irishman" will have a brief cinema release, then straight to Netflix.

15. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I have to believe it's a (justified) lock for a Grammy

RSteven likes this.
  16. walrus

Netflix paid for it, so they get to do what they want with it. From skimming the wikipedia entry on the film, I infer there were financing issues before Netflix stepped in, and no better offers or ways to get the thing made the way Scorsese wanted. It seems bonkers to me that any one movie would be worth $125 million to a streaming service (especially given the insane amount of other original shows/movies they're currently producing), but that's how it is.

And honestly, a movie that's 209 minutes long probably should be watched at home, with close access to the pause button and free snacks.

Davidmk5, majorlance and Dr. Zoom like this.
  17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

...and a toilet!

Davidmk5 and majorlance like this.
  18. walrus

That's why I specifically mentioned the pause button. :shh:

19. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I'd rank L&T higher than TOOM (for me, it's the best album by anyone in the 21st century), but we're basically in agreement regarding the last several years of Dylan's career.

20. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Just seen the live album in my local supermarket. Got mine on order from Amazon though...….

Davidmk5 likes this.
  21. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Trying to come up with a good Queen of the Supermarket reference..

22. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Springteen is going to be previewing two movies on Turner Classic Movies tomorrow, 11/2. The Searchers and A Face In The Crowd.

Mike M and Paul J like this.
  23. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

You know Bruce will tell the story of how Buddy Holly got the title to "That'll be the Day" from The Searchers

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

After some consideration, I think my 2019 Album Of The Year has to be "Western Stars", a perfect album start to finish.

[​IMG]

25. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS, edging Vampire Weekend's "Father of the Bride"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.