Beatles Brazil Mono Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dave9199, Oct 31, 2019.

1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am curious at to peoples opinions of Abbey Road, Let It Be & the Hey Jude mono fold downs. There is also a fold down of the single mix of Let It Be. I know Hey Jude uses all mono mixes except for The Ballad Of John & Yoko & Old Brown Shoe which are fold downs. I'm surprised Dr. Ebbetts hasn't done the Hey Jude album or the Let It Be single. Any differences compared to the stereo on any of these?

2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If they are fold downs there is no point in Dr Ebbetts releasing them. You could achieve the same thing by pressing the mono button on a receiver

3. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

I have the Dr. Ebbetts Abbey Road & Let It BE CDs; Bought them to go with my CD mono box---Pretty unremarkable, but they are what they are.

4. dave9199

I am considering doing that. Where did you get yours?

5. Not quite as I think there was additional EQ applied at the mastering stage but obvioulsy no difference in the mix vs. collapsing the stereo channels.

Dan The Man1 and john lennonist like this.
  6. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

They don't sound bad. Acceptable sound quality IMO.

The Quiet One and Dan The Man1 like this.
  7. Yeah I have them as curios, but the vinyl itself is on the noisey side.

8. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I have the mono Abbey Road, from my father, and it sounds interesting, not bad, and i have good memories of this, because it was there the first time i listened the álbum

9. dave9199

Can anyone confirm this; I've heard the Let It Be single and it says it's from the Japanese mono single, but the only place it was released in mono (as a fold down), at least according to Discogs, was Brazil. Can anyone confirm the Japan single as either mono or stereo?

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Not necessarily. When I first heard that The Stones mono box was going to include the fold down of Let It Bleed, I "folded down" my stereo album to see what I was in for. Let's just say I wasn't much impressed and the CD fold down mono from the box set was *quite* a pleasant surprise. This isn't to say they go to great EQ'ing lengths in Brazil when creating these fold-down mono albums...but judging from this LIB disc, fold downs *can* be made to sound quite impressive and much more so than doing a DIY with you original stereo album. I never thought I'd say this but this fold down of LIB is my favorite sounding of all my copies of the album.

11. dave9199

I'm about to get the Stones box set any day now.

DK Pete and Adam9 like this.
  12. Hawthorn

Hawthorn Forum Resident

Keep in mind that brazilian pressings are not even close to a UK one. So fold downs aside, the sound quality won't be the best.

The brazilian Beatles discography was such a mess. The most annoying things i still remember:
    - From Revolver on, Odeon only got the stereo master for the albuns, so the mono versions starting from Revolver are all fold downs.
    - On the other hand, the 2 albuns Odeon released before Revolver with the same tracklist as the UK one, namely A Hard Day's Night and Rubber Soul, never got a proper stereo release. Odeon didn't bother to get stereo tapes and simply released fake stereo versions of them.
    - Other albuns suffered the same fate with fake stereo tracks/sides mixed with stereo, but Odeon did get them out in stereo eventually.

13. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Im on the fence whether to go buy the Let It Bleed 50th that includes the "mono" version. I've read a lot of posts now that say it's a very impressive fold down, and I think you just swayed me in the direction to go pick it up.:righton:

DRM and DK Pete like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I hope you like it; a report back would be very appreciated:cool:

Cool hand luke and DRM like this.
  15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Not trying to be difficult. But didn’t Odeon, as well as Capitol, have to accept whatever EMI chose to give or not give to them? Not sure how Odeon is to blame. Regarding your statement: “Odeon didn’t bother to get stereo tapes...”

The Quiet One likes this.
  16. dave9199

I found the answer to my question. Let It Be was released in Japan as a mono fold down single but some of the picture sleeves said stereo.

Cronverc likes this.
  17. Cool hand luke

You got it, probably tomorrow :righton:

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...looking forward to it...I hope you're as friendly towards me AFTER you hear it:agree:

19. Cool hand luke

HA!:tiphat:

20. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

My mono Brazilian White Album has a mispressed side 4 where the speed changes dramatically as it plays. I thought I was losing my mind the first time I heard it.

21. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

A few years ago I entered a record store and to my surprise the first four Beatles mono LPs released in Brazil were being offered in excellent shape for very reasonable prices, so here they are, plus "Help!", which I already had.

I've got a few more in mono, but their covers are not unique: Sgt. Pepper, White Album (number 24112), Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, and a couple from their solo careers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one in the picture is a 1989 stereo 12" promo with "Twist And Shout" on both sides, which I'm showing as a curiosity, in case forum members are not aware of its existence. I've also got a few McCartney 12" promos with unique Brazilian covers.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

This is some very cool stuff!! Good for you!! It's not always about the sound quality much as it is about the uniqueness-for one reason or another-of the album. I have an original pressing of Please Please Me from Peru..the coolest thing about it is the design of the Odeon label...far as the sound qulaity, I'm not concerned about the tape source or any of that. The point is, it's from a country that one would rarely thing of gravitating towards for a Beatle album. Cool stuff!:righton:

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Which one? Bet it's the second?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Thanks, I'm glad you like them. Here are a few more Brazilian 12" singles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Are these EP's?? The Beatles/McCartney one is particularly interesting.

john lennonist likes this.