Spotify Is An Enemy of Sustainable Arts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

Except you're just a troll. Making stuff up. And I don't give a rat's posterior about "social media convention." No, I don't want to see your photos of your food at the restaurant table.

JoeRockhead and showtaper like this.
  2. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

I suspect that the $0.006 (which is 0.6 cents) isn't actually what goes to the artist but the total payout, and that what goes to the artist is a relatively small fraction just like the $1 per album sale is just a small fraction of the $6-$15 cost of an album.

Speaking personally though, I do have around 25,000 track streams per year, which is equivalent to about 18 album sales, which is more than how many albums I would've bought in a typical year. There's only a very small number of albums I've given more than 1000 song streams to (the rough equivalent of an album sale) but there are a tremendous amount of albums I've given 1-100 song streams to that I never would have bought.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Another tired trope.

Until the internet appeared, it seemed kind of settled that many people with a good amount of money were arrogant and loud about it.
    But then, somewhere along the line, there became this ridiculous "rule" that nobody who actually had any affluence would ever brag/announce it, a thing seemingly concocted by the envious/jealous on message boards to invalidate the claims of those who did.

There is a stereotype of the *really* wealthy being quiet about it, but Schnizter has never claimed to be one of those people. He has claimed to be a highly paid office worker, with 5-figure watches and multiple BMWs. Not sure how many people in here know people with extremely high wealth, but that's not really it.

I don't find it at all unlikely or incredulous that a highly paid professional in NJ with some expensive cars and watches and a comfortably large nest egg might post on an audiophile message board, and freely reference his job/income/toys. No offense intended to Mr. Schnitzer, but I've met a number of people in the NY/NJ/LI area who fit into this "type" quite well. Frankly, I don't even know that he even really bragged about these - when I've seen them, they usually came up in places of a conversation where it might make sense to mention them.

4. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

Obnoxious, in other words.

I happen to think he's full of it, but go ahead and defend his spurious comments if it makes you feel better.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not fair to lump all young people into the hipster stereo type. The young people I know that are into vinyl like the organic sound of vinyl. Especially used vinyl. A young friend of mine likes to buy used vinyl cheap. He came to me and was talking about the ballad of the green beret vinyl he picked up and how much he liked it.

bpmd1962 and schnitzerphilip like this.
  6. NettleBed

As far as I can tell, there is a subculture of people under, say 35, who are into vinyl records for the music. And there are also a number of people in the same age group who buy them as just things to have. Classifying either as "hipsters" or subcultures within "hipsters" gets messy.

Both groups pale in comparison to the people in the 15-35 age group who do not buy any physical media.

schnitzerphilip and DTK like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

He tells us about his watches but nothing about his audio system. For all I know he is streaming on his cellphone sitting in a cup to amplify the sound .

8. NettleBed

He has many, many times stated what he listens to music on. It is a system optimized for streaming.

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not listed in his profile the last time I looked.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think maybe it is time to see if we can get anyone but the same couple people taking up every page on here on these streaming themed threads to chime in? lol all I see are posts by the same people day after day on here and nothing between any modern dad's or anyone else is going to go anywhere conclusive based on the literal months of occasionally checking in to the back-and-forths to see if things got better

11. NettleBed

No, it's not in his profile. But he's mentioned it many times in various threads. I'm sure he'd be happy to repeat it again, if you're interested.

12. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Spotify just released their 3 quarter numbers.
    quarter 3 2018 > 191 million subcribers
    quarter 2 2019 > 232 million subcribers
    quarter 3 2019 > 248 million subcribers

schnitzerphilip and Spencer R like this.
  13. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Baloney!

Baloney 2.0.

And BTW, the quality of sound is part of the quality of the experience.

...Or cares for that matter. :rolleyes:

This is probably true. The correct phrasing should be above average music listener. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Rocky's Owner and Bonddm like this.
  14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Subscribers notwithstanding, that must be the six bits Spotty-Fi paid musicians. :sigh:

:cheers:
    Cat

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  15. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

They can opt-out but now subscribers are in a position where they are only getting "some of the stuff" rather than "all of the stuff". netflix were previously streaming Marvel movies and Marvel Tv shows which Disney pulled because they want to eke out a bit more value from their property. We would have got the Star Wars tv shows on netflix but now we have to pay more. This isn't a world where competition creates value for the consumer - that's a mythical world that never existed.

Actually the people who watch Friends around the clock watch it in the background. They come home from work, start to make their tea, switch on Friends for cozy familiar background noise. or they might stick on Queer-Eye as a happy non-demanding distraction that makes them feel less alone. It's mood-tv if you will.

To go back to my example. Do spotify "need" classical music for this playlist system to work. I'm not one of them but the majority of classical listeners I suspect listen to predominantly classical with some other bits and pieces thrown in. The majority of listeners don't listen to classical, period, or if they do they are of the type "I quite like classical, yeah..." which means they'll maybe once every 3 months put on Classic FM for 5 minutes when they're feeling aggy. They wouldn't miss it on spotify, the easy listening elevator-piano cheese or Game of Thrones soundtracks will satisfy them just as well.

If R.E.M goes that's not a problem. If the Beatles goes, that's not a problem. They only just arrived anyway. If Prince goes that's not a problem. Is Prince even on Spotify yet? It's only a problem when you wake up and realise you're paying the same amount for half the content and to get the other half, as a music lover, you're gonna have to shell out another three or four twenty pound per month subscriptions. I currently pay £9.99 for spotify monthly but I predict in ten years that bill could be £50-£80 at which point I'll switch back to physical media supplemented by illegal downloads again.

The thing is most Spotify users are like you and they don't actually care about music, or sound quality or anything other than a bit of background noise, so they won't even notice R.E.M disappearing, or half the catalogue being spaffed up the wall. That's how these rival corporations operate, in the same way as Disney = Star Wars. "Oh well, who needed Star Wars anyway?".. well, you wanted it when you subscribed to Netflix thinking you were getting basically everything you wanted but now it's two subscriptions instead of one to get that content. It's fine if you can sell off your rolex to get the last 10 years of your life streaming, but if you're a bit younger and can barely afford your rent it's just another kick in the teeth.

16. Raven

Raven Active Member

best way to support artists these days is to buy goods direct from their website's shop or official bandcamp, merchandise, not the actual albums as the record companies, etc will liquidate any profit from that.

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Nor do they post throughout the day on social media and still hold down high level jobs.
    Wanna be rich people and posers are loud about their so called wealth. People make stuff up. Phillip does this.
    Somewhere in the middle. A frustrated middle of the road guy.
    You don’t seem to know much about schizophrenia.

Lownote30 and Rocky's Owner like this.
  18. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I think you miss the point a little bit. Sentiment and nostalgia are both key factors, but it's also a lifestyle and a way of involving yourself with the music. I get heaps of enjoyment from Spotify and also playing my digital files, but honestly my favourite part of the process is thinking about the music I like, what I'll buy, collecting the stuff, going out and buying it. It's an immersion that I found was totally lost when I switched to Spotify completely, that's why I've started collecting again. I like the connection that a CD brings to my life - when I take a CD off the shelf, out of the case and put it in the drawer I'm reminded of the time I purchased it, what I was doing, who I might have shared that music with and so on. Social Media doesn't create those kinds of connections for me. You could call that sentiment, I guess but I think it's deeper and more relevant.

And there's still the fact that they currently sound better. That may just be my audio setup and I did do a test after another user said you could tweak spotify settings to change volume normalisation, but I still found that the files I streamed from Spotify weren't as punchy. It's not a massive difference that your average user can't live with, but I'm someone who can't actually tell the difference between a 128k mp3 and a FLAC file on my rig, so there must be a difference because I can hear it!

Hermes likes this.
  19. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Huxley and Orwell, you almost got it right..

I'll probably give streaming a serious try, but I will certainly keep my hard drives and wav-files forever.

20. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

I think Philip is lying too about being rich...but even if hypothetically he was wealthy he surely doesn’t seem happy just whining about CDS and how people should be banned from buying used CDs. Money can’t buy happiness, that, or the obvious answer is he’s trolling

Rocky's Owner, Bonddm and DRM like this.
  21. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

If he's lying about his rolexes so what? Plenty of people do make up rubbish on the internet, I've been on forums where people have lied about both their sex and their age over a number of years. This stuff matters if you want to pursue some kind of human relationship with the person but ultimately here we're having a conversation about spotify, streaming and CDs - what matters to me is that - whether you find him annoying or not - Philip is being perfectly pleasant and cordial to debate with and also often shows a sense of humour about what he says and others. It's over the top and funny, for sure, but I'm enjoying the debate, and let's face it the rolexes have only added to the fun.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Strident self centered faux fun.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  23. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

What the hell is faux-fun?

I think I'm having fun but I'm actually not ... it's fake?

24. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Philips a nice chap although he’s a little goofy, but don’t let these guys rain on your parade, rock on!

Also can we drop the start and just say Philip cause I’m on mobile and it’s bloody impossible to spell

schnitzerphilip and Daven23 like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well. :D

I have a sizable collection of music, at this point predominantly 1000's of CD's. I cherish my collection. It goes way beyond the data on the disc. Every single piece of music was bought because I was influenced by something or someone, each is a capsule of a time and moment. The inspiration to get a title, the first listen, the booklet, the artwork, the people I was with when I got it, the place I was living, the people I've turned on to the music. There isn't a single disc in my collection that doesn't have some kind of story. It's a musical journey through my life.

Of course, that doesn't mean it has any value to others. Fair enough. But think of a collection as a diary of sorts, the tracks you've left behind in your pursuit of pleasure, adventure, and joy. There are people who collect stamps, first edition books, and stuffed animals - why not recorded music?

On your second point - you're not correct there either, imo.

It's not only about sentimentality - it's also about ritual. For example, one of the most glorious moments playing Vinyl records comes before the music even starts - it's that BUMP, and the sound as the needle finds the groove right at the start of the side. That's such an evocative sound. My CD player has a similar sound, except that's the sound of my pressing PLAY and there's the spin up, with a slight sound as the disc gets ready to be read - each and every time. Wonderful!

You know, think of a nice cup of tea. You can make yourself a cup by pouring granules into a cup and adding hot water, job done. Or, you can have loose tea, a pot, and a fine bone china cup and saucer. Making it is a therapeutic ritual. Those granules may make tea that tastes good, but it's not the same.

I realize, in an era of streaming, that these rituals and preferences are seen as somewhat arcane and redundant. But honestly, they're not to many. There's nothing "schizophrenic" about it - it's simply a life spent loving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.