Avant-Garde, "New Music", Now Playing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AxiomAcoustics, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

One of the best post-2000 Brotzmann recordings. Stunning accompaniment by Satoh & Moriyama.

sberger likes this.
  2. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

TEYAS by WIDT x Christoph De Babalon

[​IMG]

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Arn is another favorite guitarist. Kind of a new golden age for that instrument these days. So many great, inventive, unique players.

[​IMG]

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

A while back I was looking for advice on getting into Keiji Haino, and got some good ones resulting in me picking up a couple of excellent LP's. Yesterday I went digging into my cd's and lo and behold found this little gem of him and Loren Connors "jamming" together at Downtown Music Gallery in the early 90's! Bet I've had it for several years. Totally forgotten. Yet another reason why I'm paying more attention to that part of the collection these days.

There's a vol 2. that I need to find.

Now playing and very much enjoying.

[​IMG]

93curr, Vaughan, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Kopros Lithos

Peter Evans
    Mats Gustafsson
    Agusti Fernandez

Recorded live at Dragon Club in Poznan, Poland on December 9th, 2009

Mats on baritone saxophone & alto flutephone

The other two as you expect on trumpet & piano

Maybe better than the great “A Quietness of Water” on Not Two Records

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Love AQoW. I'll have to look for this one.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

10. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Lucky to find this at the local the other day.
    [​IMG]

93curr likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Big fan of the Astral Spirits label(have yet to hear anything from them that isn't top notch) and this is one of the several new releases. Sounds real nice on first listen, and Laubrock's participation on sax only adds to it.

Zoning, by Nick Fraser / Kris Davis / Tony Malaby

[​IMG]

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another keeper from Astral Spirits. Muscular session from these two great players.

[​IMG]

14. uncarvedbloke

Just discovered this -

Loving it. :)

cut-out, jay.dee and JMAC like this.
  15. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

So great... I learned about this album a few years ago and still listen frequently, especially around this time of year.

uncarvedbloke likes this.
  16. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

interesting thread. has anyone here heard the piano player Conrad Tao? Classical player, and he's played a lot with orchestras around the world doing some of the more 'regular' classical things, but he's got an "avant-garde 20th-century classical" side to him as well. I haven't heard the new album 'american rage' yet (just out this week) but he does some 20th-century classical more 'out there' things, i think. (solo piano). Ive also seen him a few times, once in a very interesting duo setting with drummer/percussionist Tyshawn Sorey, who i think was mentioned earlier in this thread ...

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Guys, I had a glorious day yesterday. Six hours straight of music. Among the titles was this one, a recent purchase, from Marc Ducret. Ducret is one of my favorite guitarists, esepcially with his work with Tim Berne. This is a "solo" effort though, with a different band.

The basis for this is of course, Shakespeare's Macbeth. It's a long listen at almost 70 minutes, and includes some operatic singing which might introduce something new to your listening habits. The band are excellent though, and there's plenty of great music to absorb.

I don't want to list everything I played yesterday - but it's glorious to have an extended period where I can just listen to music, finding each and every disc wonderful. Yah!

18. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

This interview and fiery, previously unreleased duo performance from Cleve Pozar (drums & sirens) & Gene Y. Ashton (later Cooper-Moore, piano) was recorded c. late 1973 / early 1974 at a free Sunday night concert produced by WBAI & held at a former church (now gone) on E. 62nd Street in NYC. Cleve fondly recalls the audience response to his sirens: looking around & thinking the show was going to get busted by the cops. Scroll to the bottom to hear the piece: Cooper-Moore

mw1917 and sberger like this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I went to a piano recital given by Philip Thomas of works by Morton Feldman as an album launch for his 4 CD box on Another Timbre (which of course I had to purchase along with a couple of other AT releases).

[​IMG]

He played Last Pieces (1979), Piano (1977), Extensions 3 (1952), and Palais de Mari (1986) which was utterly sublime.

And I got to talk to Simon Reynell who runs the label.

93curr, Morpheus, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

More Astral Spirits goodness

[​IMG]

The 2nd release from the trio of Chicago cornetist Josh Berman, UK drummer/percussionist Paul Lytton and Chicago bassist Jason Roebke, featuring material recorded during the trio's April 2018 European tour, in two extended side-long improvisations from Padova, Italy and Trondheim, Norway, in sets of profound technique and creative prowess; exceptional.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Heather Leigh is an amazing, highly inventive and original pedal steel player, and she brings out the best in Brotzmann. This album is gorgeous and intense.

[​IMG]

Sparrow Nights, by BRÖTZMANN / LEIGH

JMAC, 93curr and jay.dee like this.
  23. uncarvedbloke

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Disc 1 of this amazing set: Les Diaboliques live in Moscow 10/6/2015. Scottish vocalist Maggie Nicols, French bassist Joëlle Léandre and Swiss pianist Irène Schweizer.

[​IMG]

Dahabenzapple and jay.dee like this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I hesitated to buy this, wondering if I needed it. I did pick it up in the end, and shockingly I've been playing it back to back for a couple days now. This is contemporary classical, and the basic drive is that Harada - who is Japanese - wants to write music without geographic identity. There's a lot of things on here that really work, but special mention to the opening track which feels like Free Jazz, overlaid with a spiky set of Classical musicians (listen to the Bass for the jazz line).

Needless to say, I'm loving this.