The Pretenders opening for Journey (-Steve Perry, obviously)?!?!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I don’t know, but that’s just wrong, IMO.

I’ve never seen Chrissie and the band, but opening for faux-Journey? Really?!?

Don’t get me wrong (ha!), I actually have fond memories of Infinity (likely due to the 14-year old girl that moved in four doors down when I was in 8th grade), but Pretenders opening for Journey? Isn’t that like Elvis Costello opening for Huey Lewis or something? Is there some alternate universe where this is right? I thought the Hendrix opening for Monkees days were behind us...

Journey Hitting Road in 2020 with Pretenders: See the Dates

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Maybe it is a faux-Pretenders without Chrissie.... :shake:

In all likelihood, this will be a big payday for Chrissie. She probably doesn't have many years left to do a long tour like this one is. The article said more than 60 concert dates. That is a real lot. So it is purely a financial move.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Journey draws large crowds. The Pretenders can fill a 2000 seat auditorium....maybe.

Good move for Pretenders.

4. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

Meh. The Velvet Underground opened for U2. Everything's fine.

5. TaumpyTears

TaumpyTears Forum Resident

I used to feel that way when Cheap Trick or The Wallflowers would be opening for bands that IMO are not on their level but granted have a bigger name.
    But knowing what I know now it’s probably a great deal for the pretenders, guaranteed payday, not sweating any ticket sales, get to play bigger venues and might generate a few hundred or thousand sales of a best of set. I see it as a win for them.

6. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

We saw Pretenders open for Stevie Nicks a couple of years back and that bothered me but I acknowledge(d) that Stevie looms larger in most people's consciousness that Chrissie+band does... as evidenced - sadly - by most in the crowd only knowing "Brass In Pocket" and the big Learning To Crawl numbers and f.a. else. As for us, we went for Pretenders and left halfway through Stevie's set.

Meanwhile, why frame the issue like this? She and her band want and need the gigs so who the heck cares who they open for? Catch 'em anyway you can - they are smoking. That said, if you can see them as headliners, by all means do so. I personally wish she was touring Stateside with Valve Bone Woe but she's only staying in Europe with those gigs. :(

Simon A, Comet01, DrumMan and 7 others like this.
  7. mrjinks

You guys make good points. I just can’t imagine hearing Back on The Chain Gang and (maybe?) Precious in a 10-song set, and then hearing “Faithfully” and “Open Arms” later in the evening. Odd pairing, IMO.

theMess likes this.
  8. mrjinks

Just struck me as an odd pairing, that’s all. I find Chrissie’s output erratic, but I wish her only the best, as her top material is legendary, IMO....

9. Arnold Grove

Yes, that is the hard part. Especially as it is not the real-deal Journey.

It would be like Elvis Costello opening up for Creedence Clearwater REVISITED. It just doesn't sit well.

But it is a very financially sound move.

Of course, we'd feel better if Chrissie was opening up for someone like Neil Young.

10. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

I didn't take your comment as any slight but you sort of answered your own question in a way - there are many (most?) who have no awareness whatsoever of Hynde beyond "I'll Stand By You" and "Brass"! Journey for whatever reasons have gained and, maintained more of a foothold in the public's consciousness (certainly over the last 10 years anyways) hence the top billing on a tour of two 70's/80's-era acts in most people's minds. And sadly, many folks will just see the name "Journey" and not know/care one whit that it ain't the "real thing" (ymmv as to what that even means) when buying their tickets and seeing the show!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

If go see Journey take your earplugs. I saw them with Def Leppard and Journey"s sound was extremely compressed and LOUD

12. 905

905 Senior Member

Arnel is an awesome singer. And the others still have their playing chops.

I don't see the problem.

13. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Yes, this is totally wrong.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

Yes because of course The Pretenders are still the original band. I mean you can pick up any random musicians and have The Pretenders.

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Or when Green Day opened for Blink 182.

16. 905

905 Senior Member

So we're not getting the real deal Journey but we're getting the real deal Pretenders?

17. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Just to present a different take... Journey is now made up of 4 of 5 members from their most popular era (Escape and Frontiers), and two of those four are original. That’s more than quite a number of long-time bands can say these days.

I’m a massive fan of Steve Perry and wish he was there, but he doesn’t want to be. I get it... no problem. But I’m not sure I’d go so far as to think they’re faux-Journey given the current lineup. (Unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re meaning.)

Now, to the other point of The Pretenders opening... yeah, I thought that odd, too. But promoters sometimes come up with stuff and if they can convince bands that tickets will sell, lots of bands are up for it and will hope they’ll gain some fans of the other.

lc1995, thxphotog, agundy and 11 others like this.
  18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

“real deal” or not, they’re still a very successful touring band, with 4/5 of the Escape era band. They weren’t a band, like CCR, with one main creative leader.

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I saw Bob Dylan open for Santana.

DavidD likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Good point.

But of course Chrissie IS The Pretenders. It is basically her stage name.

21. Arnold Grove

But Bob actually likes Carlos.

22. Mr D

Mr D Forum Resident

I don't see what's wrong. It's a different combination than the usual half dozen bands that are rotated around the opening and headlining slots for each other.

And don't knock Journey, Arnel does a decent job and has been in the band a dozen years or so. That may even be longer than Perry's tenure.

23. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Seen them both back in the day. Journey as headliners in the late 70's and 80's. Pretenders opening for U2 on the Joshua Tree tour, Europe, '87. I'd still pay good money to see Chrissie and whoever is with her. Journey, nah. But if the tickets are cheap, seats are good, I'd go.

24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

It's just the way it goes. Promoters don't care whose songs are better they go by who can fill seats.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Sopranos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.