Capital Audio Fest 2019

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ProfessorC1983, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

I hope enough of the vendors, especially sweet vinyl, will still be there Sunday. Saturday’s already narrow window got closed with the Nationals parade entering the picture.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  2. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I emailed Vu and he said it's just too busy in November to attend the show. I sympathize it's a busy time of year for me as well.

3. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Just got back from the show. Great event — not too crowded, nice folks in all the rooms I dropped by. I gotta go back and check my notes, but those KEF Blades were great.

4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I wish I would’ve know about this earlier.

5. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I understand David Janszen will be there with the latest version of his hybrid-electrostatic floorstanders, and maybe his electrostatic headphones. Well worth seeking out, IMO! (I'm an owner of Janszen speakers & have heard the phones.)

6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

My take from the show on Friday. The KEF Blade, ummmm no thanks. The KEF Muon in one of the VPI rooms was better, but still lacking. However, the VPI table was a work of art. The Credo speakers in the other VPI room were horrible. The VAC/Esoteric room had the bling factor, but the sound fell short. The Magico/Esoteric room was pretty good. I was disappointed with the Studio Electric monitors and floor standers as they sounded boxy. The Sonner monitors were also disappointing. The Avantgarde/Wadax room was too small for the speakers, but they still sounded damn good. The Gryphon rig wasn't bad. The Eggleston Nico monitors, you'd never guess they are monitors and the sound quality.....oh good golly miss molly! The Rosso Fiorentino/Norma room sounded really effing good. I mean really effing good! My favorite was the Acapella/Audio Note room. When I opened eyes I expected to see the performers in front of me. Absolutely stunning!!!

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Anyone hear the Linear Tube Audio, Fern & Roby, and Lampizator room? I’m very curious about all three of those manufacturers—that new Lampi Amber III DAC is very intriguing. How did it sound?

8. I enjoyed Command AV’s room, as well as Just Audio’s annex and library. I’m intrigued by the Elac Discovery and Yamaha WXC-50 streamers that they had in stock. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I nabbed a nice haul on the record vendor floor, as well. Overall, it was a pleasant and fun experience. I may return tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

9. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

The Lampizator room really stood out for me. One of my favorites. But in every room there are so many variables at work from source to DAC to amp to speakers etc it’s hard to give feedback on a particular component.

JMAC and Bill Why Man like this.
  10. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

If you visit the room request to listen to Harrison Kennedy’s Back Alley Moan from Soulscape. It was just jaw-
    dropping otherworldly.

11. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

Just got back a few hours ago. I really enjoyed a lot of the obscure gear that you see only at this kind of show. And a big part of that might be the way music was paired with systems. There wasn't a lot of hard rock or complex orchestral pieces being played anywhere, although the Von Scweikerts (which I heard were something of a dud last year) were singing Dark Side of the Moon, and the Wharfedale speakers were also rocking. It seemed like the consensus focus was on clean vocals and simple acoustic configurations. I personally really liked what I heard from the Kef Blades, as well as the Acapella / Audio Note setup (including some stunning piano solos). And most of the other setups that I spend time evaluating. Everything wasn't perfect, nor would I expect it to be, but it was nice to see so many different speaker designs reaching very clean outputs (even if most were well above prices I would pay). I sort of wish I could have done a three day visit, in part to see all the gear I missed, in part to spend enough time with some of these systems to see whether th.ey ever got tiring. Because there was a lot of "wow" factor in some of the presentations

12. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

The Acapella / Audio Note room was incredible, as was the VPI room with the KEF Muons. Avantegarde room rounds out the top three.

My favorite sleeper room was 234, Antal Audio Group showing off some very affordable gear from some smaller European producers.

The Salk Room was very good, I really liked the Joseph Audio Perspective2 in room 319. Raven did a really nice A/B of their lower and higher range systems.

I was also underwhelmed by the 7 figure VAC/VS system, but man is the VAC 450i iq an amazing thing to look at.

The Gryphon system was amazing to look at and probably perfect in every way, but it didn’t really swing. The flagship Daedalus room with the Lampizator gear wasn’t great, but their smaller room with the Muse Studios and Border Patrol gear was really good.

Save a couple brands I didn’t find in any of the rooms I visited (Boulder, Manley, couple others) I think I had the chance to listen to just about every brand I’ve been interested in. All around a worthwhile few hours.

F1nut likes this.
  13. james

james Summon The Queen

what was Command AV showing?

14. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Devore Fidelity O/Reference + Luxman. Beautiful room.

Bill Why Man, Luxmancl38 and james like this.
  15. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

In the Luxman room were they playing the new CL-1000 all tube preamp? It's their new top of the line preamp at almost 20K.

16. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

sorry I don’t recall and for some reason I didn’t take a picture of that room.

One brand I hadn’t heard of before was in multiple rooms McGary Audio from Gainesville, VA. Really nice looking tube gear. It was in the Salk room, which was a great set up, but also in the Tekton room (which wasn’t so great).

17. Luxmancl38

Luxmancl38 Forum Resident

I checked Luxman on Facebook and it was the CL-1000 in the Command Performance AV room which had the Devore Fidelity/O Reference speakers. The amp was also Luxman the 16K MQ-300. I asked my dealer in NH and he said he'll be getting one soon.

displayname likes this.
  18. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

I just returned home from the show . My vote for best sound @ show is the GT Audio works & Pass Labs room
    great job Greg & Steve

19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I was at Cap Audiofest today favorite rooms were:

Luxman/Devore
    Volti/Border Patrol
    LTA/Spatial
    Emia

I like the Acapella/Audionote room but found the sound just a bit too polite.

I also liked the field coil speakers from I think ESD? The model was the Crane.

A fun show overall but not as much good sound as last year to me.

displayname likes this.
  20. Jemspeed

Jemspeed Well-Known Member

I thought the classic audio loudspeakers room sounded the best.

Batman21 likes this.
  21. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Hi Scott I had met you at your home with my wife and friend Al the day Greg and Igor set up your speakers . I was at the show and all I can say is Greg and Steve in my opinion had the best sound @ the show . I am sure Greg will fill you in about the after 9pm session . Many a jaw hit the floor . Richard

22. Wolverine 05

Wolverine 05 Forum Resident

This was first trip to this show or any Audio of this size. I loved it but realized that a day visit on a Saturday did not do it justice so plan on making it a weekend next year. Was happy to find a Charles Mingus SACD in one of the CD bargain bins! Nice selection of Music down in the Atrium.

23. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Hey Richard! Glad to hear you made it to the show. Greg does make a great speaker and he's always making improvements. I'll have to give his latest a listen one day!

24. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I went on Friday only this year. Great fest as always. Lots of great sounding rooms this year. I really enjoyed the Joseph Audio Perspective2, was impressed by what the Maggie LRS can do for such a low price. Odyssey was outstanding with incredible imaging and holographic sound...regarding the VAC room, i think it sounded "good"....not great and not as good as some of the other really expensive rooms, for instance, the KEF Muon and VPI room was way better.

Could only go one day this year so kind of rushed through so i could see allot...but did not hit every room...walked by quite a few.

25. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

I was really impressed with the LTA gear in the various rooms. I'm probably going to end up buying their MicroZOTL preamp in the next 6 to 12 months. Also, the rooms that had Lampizator gear impressed me a lot. I've read about them but I've never had a chance to hear their stuff. The Command AV room with the Luxman and Devore setup was my favorite overall. I was also impressed with some of the Fern & Roby stuff. I really liked the room they had with Modwright and I've definitely added the Modwright phono preamp to my wanted list.

The one thing I still can't get over is the music that some of these people play to demo the equipment. I get that they are catering to a larger audience but play something that was made in the last 20 years once in awhile.

hi_watt, displayname and JMAC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.