New Rega Aethos amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chromewaves, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Anyone heard this or seen any reviews ?

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Any news on this amp from anyone?

3. Dhreview16

It’s being demo’d next month at a hifi store in Sheffield here, along I think with the new RP10 deck.

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am interested in either this or the Osiris when I get around to upgrading my Elicit-R. First step, however, is the Aura phono so it may be a couple years.

5. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Moorgate Acoustics Sheffield Ltd
    Moorgate Acoustics Sheffield Ltd - Google Search
    Unfortunately I’m on holiday so can’t attend

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I'm interested in seeing what else is in the product pipeline. The DAC-R has been discontinued. It would make sense for them to release a new DAC in a cash that matches the new Brio and Saturn units. Also, it's high time they made a reference series DAC, or at least updated the Isis to include hi res digital inputs.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Anyone knows if Rega plans on upgrading the Elex-R and Elicit-R amps anytime soon?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

How do the Rega amps compare to the (current) Musical Fidelity amps? I have the budget model now (M2Si) which I thought was a better value ($600 new) compared to the Rega Brio ($999), but I've been wondering how the M5si and M6si compare to the better Rega units. The M6si seems like a beast, 220w at 8ohm, and dual mono design. Not cheap at $3k, but the upper end Rega models aren't either. And the MF has even higher end models than that, but I don't see many of them in systems around here/US. Maybe more popular in Europe?

Ivand and Echoes Myron like this.
  9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Rega doesn't release product info far in advance of actual product releases. Also just because they have a product now doesn't mean that a new version will follow. They could eliminate one of the designs entirely. Having three integrated choices seems like plenty to me. They currently have five. I guess I can see having an additional top end unit, but that replaced separates in the case of the Osiris amplifier. Rega does not have to agree with my assessment however. They have a global market to supply and they probably have models that are more popular in one market than in others.
    -Bill

bhazen, Ivand and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Has anyone heard it? =)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Probably not released till early next year

12. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Actually, in the states probably around the holidays...

14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think I read on Pink Fish Media somewhere that an October release was imminent.

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Guys, it’s end of year on this release

16. Dhreview16

It is being demo’d at Audio T in Brighton this coming Saturday, 5 October, along (I guess) with the new P10 deck.

17. Ria

Ria Well-Known Member

I haven't heard the Aethos in person but spoke to a hifi retailer who has, just the other day Said guy was really super impressed with the Aethos and he was told that it is the upgrade for the Elex r and the Elicit r combined however Rega wanted to base the Aethos on the heart and fun of the Elex r. Where the Elicit r was lovely in detail it was a bit lean. The Aethos is being decribed as now being detailed, with pace and rhythm and warmer than the Elicit. The Elex r is the muscular Brio, the Aethos is the muscular Elex r. I for one can not wait to hear it as have been holding on to my Elex r waiting for this upgrade. I heard the Naim SN3 which was lovely & had incredible imagery but i love Rega.... And the Aethos is cheaper....and the difference will go towards my P8 and Spendor A7 or Evoke 30 upgrade!

Ivand, Echoes Myron and maglorine like this.
  18. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

UK websites are now showing this as available to purchase. I am however a bit concerned about some information in the technical specifications on the Rega website:

125 W RMS both channels driven into the rated load of 8 Ω
    156 W RMS both channels driven into 6 Ω
    Note: Continued high level use into 6 Ω may cause the case to exceed 40 °C above the ambient temperature and activate the thermal shutdown.

My speakers are B&W 804D D3 and one reviews states 'the impedance of the 804 D3 is low, with almost all of the band between 85 and 800 Hz running between 2.5 and four ohms. The speaker is rather optimistically rated at eight ohms impedance, but I don't recommend using it with any amplifier that lacks a published four-ohm output spec.'

Am I right to be concerned regarding the match with my speakers?

19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Rega states the 40 °C spec on all its amplifiers and also for the most part most modern speakers fall below 4 ohms at some point in their frequency range and you're not hearing about amps failing all over the place. Besides you'd have to be pushing the amp at ear bleeding levels for extended periods of time for it to get that hot.

Bert Oz likes this.
  20. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Well my local audio shop (13 miles away) was demoing the Aethos and the P10 yesterday..... but the weather was so awful I couldn't face driving there. That was helpful!

21. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

Audio T in Portsmouth is demoing on the 16th.

22. Echoes Myron

Do you use the Elex in your profile with the B&Ws?

23. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

Morbius, thank you for your reassuring comment.

Yep and they seem to have no problem driving the B&Ws.

Technical specifications on the Rega website for the Elex states '113W 4Ω both channels driven' with no warnings about thermal shutdown whereas the technical specifications for the Aethos doesn't give an output for 4Ω and does have a warning. It was this that prompted my concern but it sounds like it may be a non-issue.

Morbius and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

There are several reports on Elicit running hot and triggering the protection. Somewhere I read it's because of idle current pot being out of correct setting probably due to transport. Supposedly an easy fix but however requires technician if you're not tech savvy.

25. Echoes Myron

I think with the overall increased power you will be fine. I run my KEF Reference 1s with the Elicit-R at 105 WPC (into 8 ohms), and these speakers are known to be very demanding of power. Has worked fine for a year. I normally play around 50-60 decibels with the volume dial at 11 o'clcok. I only encountered an issue with the amp going imto protection one very late night, when I got a little silly and played an album by Shellac (very bass-transient heavy) at 3 o'clock on the dial.

I would consider the Aethos as a next step, but I really am really attached to the sound of the Elicit. To warrant a change to my system, I would go up another level to the Osiris or alternately to some higher power separates. I have actually not heard the Elex, but based on the power spec alone it woud seem the Aethos would definitely be a meaningful upgrade.

Bert Oz likes this.