PBS Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Nov 3, 2019.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

We have enjoyed many of the Masterpiece series over the years. Series like Foyle's War. We have also been watching Poldark. Anyway, I recently subscribed to the PBS subscription on Roku. Any suggestions for other good PBS series to watch?

georgebz1 and four sticks like this.
  2. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

Finding Your Roots - Hosted by Henry Lois Gates Jr. Fascinating things the can discover with DNA testing.

3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The Bletchley Circle - two seasons.

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not offered on the PBS site.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

A very good series called PRESS started a few weeks ago on a PBS station we get. We missed the first episode, but will try to catch the rest of it.

jlocke08 likes this.
  6. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

Have you watched Lewis?

Simon A and Juggsnelson like this.
  7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

All the "prestigious" PBS shows I notice are period soaps where the actors play dressup or pledge drives.:mad:

Scott222C likes this.
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

And 'Endeavour' and the original 'Inspector Morse' (if that's still being offered. One PBS channel - either Detroit or Buffalo - was playing re-runs a little while ago).

Karnak, rcsrich, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  10. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

so, not knowing your taste, what you may have seen previously, and whats on the Roku subscription here are some ideas. most pretty obvious.
    Ken Burns Films
    Mr Selfridge-drama
    Downton Abbey-drama
    Mrs Wilson-drama
    Wolf Hall-drama
    Prime Suspect-series with Helen Mirren-superb
    Prime Suspect:Tennison-same character earlier in her career with different actress-not as good
    Sherlock series with Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman
    The Escape Artist-drama
    Dark Angel-drama
    PBS series-The American Experience has many, many docs around human interest & historical subjects
    PBS series-NOVA some excellent science related episodes along with other subjects
    PBS series-Secrets Of The Dead may not be for everyone but i learned a lot from many episodes
    PBS series-Pioneers of Television is well done through 4 seasons of learning about TV history
    PBS series-Frontline is timely news, politics, and history information
    Michael Palin has done some unique travel related programming
    should be MANY wildlife and food related programs, most of which are really good. especially the Nature series.
    One of my personal favorites is Somebody Feed Phil, a food/travel series with Phila Rosenthal who created Everybody Loves Raymond.

CDFanatic and RobRoyF like this.
  11. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Nova, Nature and Frontline have had some of the best programs I've seen anywhere on any channel.

12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Both of the below are modern day takes on police detectives:

From New Zealand, "The Brokenwood Mysteries".....basically each standalone episode is a 2 hour TV movie and there have been 20 already

"Wallander" on "Masterpiece"....with Sir Kenneth Branagh playing the title character

Simon A likes this.
  13. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

American Experience is the best show on television. I'm a big fan.
    Also like Nova, Secrets Of The Dead, Frontline, Nature, This Old House, and many more.

live evil and CDFanatic like this.
  14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I have watched the first two episodes of an Independent Lens series, "Philly D.A.": Independent Lens - Independent Documentary Films | PBS

This series is cutting edge investigative journalism. The background concerns the recent election of Larry Krasner to serve, starting in January 2018, as the District Attorney in Philadelphia. Krasner is well experienced, having worked for thirty years as a criminal defense and civil rights attorney, and as a public defender. He is a progressive who is intent on reforming the criminal justice system in Philadelphia. No surprise here . . . one of his biggest obstacles is the FOP -- Fraternal Order of Police.

Give it a watch before it goes behind the paywall. I think the series is currently being rolled out, which means that one may have to wait for some future episodes to be aired by local PBS affiliates. It is a fascinating to watch the back-and-forth between the DA's office and the police department. Krasner is just perfect for this role; I hope he is successful.

bhazen likes this.
  15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Has anyone else been watching the the Masterpiece theater series, "Around the World in 80 Days," on PBS? Around the World in 80 Days | Masterpiece | Official Site | PBS

An eight-episode series, I didn't know anything about it but started watching around episode five, and continuing at one episode per week to the end. I know it is kind of campy, but I found it fabulously entertaining. In the course of travels around the world, many remote and interesting locales were visited, and some meaty subjects (e.g., colonialism, racism) were interwoven into the narrative. The three leads -- played by David Tennant, Ibrahim Koma, and Leonie Benesch -- were great travel companions, to each other and for the viewers. Highly recommended.

kevywevy, Simon A and bhazen like this.
  16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm enjoying Vienna Blood... not under the Masterpiece masthead I don't think but it could've been.

MerseyBeatle and bhazen like this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

PBS is a lifesaver for me.

I don't have cable or Internet, so am dependent on what I can capture over the air. I get 5 different digital PBS-related stations, along with the two main ones in Seattle and Tacoma. I live for things like Wolf Hall, Foyle's War, All Creatures Great And Small, Endeavor, New Tricks, Death In Paradise, Professor T, Vienna Blood (great atmospherics there!), Around The World In 80 Days, and ... two or three dozen others I'm forgetting. Nova and the other science shows, of course; travel shows like Ireland By County, Great Railway Journeys, etc.

About the only other channel I watch is the NHK (Japan) English-language service (also part of the public broadcasting suite), which is oddly anodyne; even the news doesn't raise my stress levels too much. Plus, I'm hooked on Sumo wrestling now(!!).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Currently watching All Creatures Great and Small (remake). Smitten with Rachel Shenton.

smilin ed, The Cat 3, Amnion and 3 others like this.
  19. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Years ago I watched the PBS version of traffic . The story of the drug trade.
    I wish they would show some of those old shows again.
    There was one called Fame that was good.

I just rewatched the prize on Amazon which I had seen years earlier on PBS.
    The history of oil

RobRoyF likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

American Masters has been very consistent in their profiles of various people. Not sure if they are still doing them though.

21. a customer

citizen Hearst is great one to watch

22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Agree. I think my favorite so far was the one about Bing Crosby, focusing on a re-appraisal of his relevance and influence. Very well done and long overdue.

Karnak and a customer like this.
  23. a customer

That was a good one on Crosby.
    One of the biggest stars of all time becoming almost unknown today

24. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I enjoy this one. Probably missed the last/current season or so. I will look it up to see. Not familiar with the other PBS offerings posted here.

25. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Poldark was very good and I loved Foyle's War, I think I've watched the complete series at least twice. Others, a few have already been mentioned:

Vera
    Endeavour
    Grantchester
    Broadchurch
    Wallander (UK)
    Hinterland
    Shetland
    Lewis
    All Creatures Great And Small
    Downton Abbey
    Father Brown
    George Gentley