So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Gamble and Huff wrote and produced the A Side. I accidentally took a pic of the B Side!

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Lol. That makes sense. And I should've remembered that. :hide:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Gamble & Huff were unstoppable: "Expressway To Your Heart," "Only The Strong Survive," "When Will I See You Again," "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine," "Used Ta Be My Girl," "For The Love of Money," and so many other classics. Amazing!

Dan Steely and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

No doubt about it! That Jones Girls song is great as well!

team2 likes this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Josie and the Pussycats
    You've Come a Long Way Baby/Stop, Look and Listen
    Promo
    These songs are taken from the album that followed the cartoon. I loved the show when I was younger although I still don't get why Allen looked exactly the same as Fred from Scooby Doo. These are fun bubblegum pop tunes with a Jackson 5 edge and the "group" features Patrice Holloway (Brenda's sister) and Cheryl Ladd!
    [​IMG]

Mylene, Bobby Buckshot and Grant like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

J.T. Connection featuring Dennis Tufano-Bernadette
    Promo
    Disco records came out fast and furious and "bands" were often just studio creations....like this one! Dennis was the former lead singer of The Buckinghams and he sounds good here. This version will not make you forget The Four Tops but it is fun. It has groove and some fine bass.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Journey-Good Morning Girl/Stay Awhile/Line of Fire
    This reached #55 USA in 1980. I've always enjoyed this medley, which sounded even better live. Stay Awhile has a beautiful melody and Schon is his usual brilliant, understated self. I don't get the hate for these guys other than their image was lame. My Dad hated them but he hated all arena rock type stuff.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Grant like this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Journey- Don't Stop Believin'/Natural Thing (Non-LP)
    This was a#9 hit in the USA in 1981 but it didn't break big in the UK until it hit #6 in 2009! This song has only become more popular over the years and The Sopranos bit certainly helped. The piano riff is pretty great and catches your ear right away. Schon's screaming guitar into the pre-chorus is air guitar worthy and I dig Vallory's bass lines here.....not at all what I would have expected but it works. I'm really noticing Cain's keys, especially on the "Streetlight" part...they are in a pretty high key and serve as a nice counter to the bass.

It played as the intro music when you loaded up the Escape video game on the Atari and I loved it. I would just sit there and Listen to the Atari digital version as it would loop every 30 seconds. You know it's a cool riff when Atari still makes it sound cool!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Ah, what a song! It's endured for decades now, and I unashamedly love it. My favorite memory about this track was when it was played at my 20-year high school reunion in 2008, and all 100 or so of us there sang along at the top of our lungs. Of course, we had known it for a good 27 years at that point -- and it was just a year after The Sopranos finale -- but still. 80's perfection...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

This video does a great job of breaking down WHY it is so great. I highly reccomend the whole series of these videos, especially the one on More Than a Feeling.

team2 likes this.
  11. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I have no clue about the Josie & The Pussycats nor JT Connection songs. Of course, I've seen J&TP cartoons but couldn't specifically identify any of their songs and the JT stuff completely by-passed me in the 70s. I even went YT diving to check out their music but surprisingly, there wasn't much there although I liked what I did hear and probably would have liked it at the time.
    I really enjoyed Journey's late 70s songs particularly Lights and my all time favorite Lovin', Touchin',Squeezin'. Everything after is on a case by case basis. Don't Stop Believin' is one of their best and doesn't need my endorsement but I'm happy to oblige.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

Lights is probably my favorite Journey song although I really like Ask The Lonely a lot too.

Manapua likes this.
  13. team2

team2 Forum Resident

After "Don't Stop Believin'," I have to go with "Just The Same Way" and "Only The Young" for my faves...

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Even the "B" sides?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  15. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

When it comes to Journey I tend to like the songs that maybe got a little airplay but weren't big hits, like "The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)", "After The Fall", "People And Places", etc... but as someone who was in my tweens in 81-83 I unabashedly will always love (the Steve Perry led) Journey.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  16. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Remember all the attention for Steve's solo album Street Talk in 1984-85? FOUR hit singles! Although, after all this time, "Oh Sherrie" and "Foolish Heart" have been played out, "She's Mine" and -- especially -- "Strung Out" still sound great since they've been played less over the years...

Juggsnelson and bvb1123 like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Since I pretty much stopped listening to radio after the 80s, neither of those tunes are played out for me and still sound marvelous to my ears. Amazing that after such a big solo album, the guy virtually disappeared going forward. I'm sure there are probably personal reasons for that but still...?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Strung Out" is by far my favorite Steve Perry solo song and probably top 10 of that era.

Juggsnelson and team2 like this.
  19. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Just played it on YT -- still sounds great!!

bvb1123 likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

"Just the Same Way" is excellent.

team2 likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Definitely a few good Non-LP B-Sides in there for sure!

22. Juggsnelson

Those are all great songs. In the same vein I really like Ask The Lonely and Suzanne...neither of which lit up the charts.

team2, Manapua and bvb1123 like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

LOVE "Strung Out"...Unfortunately I probably won't get to play the 45 until 2021!

team2 likes this.
  24. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The majority of Journey's top 10 hits were ballads starting with Who's Crying Now. Prior to that one, my impression of their style skewed arena rock. Considering that three singles in a row - WCN, Don't Stop Believin' and Open Arms - all achieved Top 10 status, something none of their previous singles had done, it doesn't surprise me they went in that direction. Probably teed off their older fans but hey, you go where the money is! Another late 80s song I really enjoy is Girl Can't Help It.

team2 and Juggsnelson like this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Girl Can't Help It is coming up in the next batch. Be Good to Yourself also off of Raised on Radio is a pretty good, albeit it poppy, rock song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.