Spotify Is An Enemy of Sustainable Arts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rosskolnikov, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky's Owner

Rocky's Owner I Don't Rent Air

Or they don't like listening in mono, like people did on transistor radios in the 50s. You're so cutting-edge!

Daven23 likes this.
  2. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Even though I think it has always been like this one way or the other (in the 60s kids were discovering the Beatles instead of Chopin..), I do indeed share the feeling that the young people nowadays are less interested in listening to music than in other things.

Edit:
    Only last week I was browsing Spotify with the kids of a colleague (age 9-16) to find out what they like. They asked if I could look up the songs with so-and-so lyrics. I asked for the artist and they had no idea. When I was 16 me and my friends knew all that stuff :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Rocky's Owner

Maybe artists who produce the kind of superficial, ephemeral pop garbage that you listen to while doing the dishes, like Ed Sheeran or Taylor Swift. The world doesn't need anymore albums from their ilk anyway.

Daven23 and Bonddm like this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Particularly considering he “works 365 days a year, 9-6 in an office, constantly taking emails and calls at night and on the weekends”.

Rocky's Owner likes this.
  5. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

If, in the future, streaming turned out to be the big enabler for the death of the album, than I would definitely see that as a big drawback of streaming. I like streaming (next to my physical collection) but that would be a real shame. I like the album as an art form. I would like my kids to experience what it is to fall in love with a collection of songs that work together as a story.

6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

How many people posting here are willing to face the fact that they've been repeatedly catfished by a bored teenager riffing on Millennial stereotypes?

7. Bug80

Bug80 Forum Resident

Teenagers don't have time to do such a thing, because they're constantly on their phone browsing the intern.... oh wait

8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Just sayin'. It's not healthy to be this concerned over what imaginary people think or like.

You don't need permission from the internet to like streaming... or physical media.

Tullman likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Definitely not a generational thing necessarily. My mom was born in '54 and still had to ask me who sang certain songs. She knew the songs, not always the artists. There are music lovers who do listen that way.

10. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

No, it's the songwriters making less. Artists don't make anything from sales unless they wrote the songs.

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Oh snap!!! :biglaugh:I can't see his posts anymore, so I guess I stream him instead of buying his whole CD. Works for me.

Bonddm likes this.
  12. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

Why are you still posting in this thread you wanted locked?

goodiesguy, Lownote30 and Hermes like this.
  13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Hey, just curious - do you only listen to song-based music (nothing wrong with that - just wondering) or do you get into things like classical, jazz and/or anything experimental?

I think it matters somewhat for the "music is dead" hypothesis.

14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

That’s one CD guaranteed to have a high percentage of “filler”.

Lownote30 and Rocky's Owner like this.
  15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Internet service started at much lower charges and just keeps increasing as will streaming services IMO.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't agree. People that enjoy listening to music through a nice system in a nice room will still use that room for listening to music via streaming. High resolution streaming can be a great listening experience through nice systems and in nice listening rooms.

17. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

I request some jazz but it all sounds the same to me, there is never an artist/song that's recognizable. "Hey Siri, play some light jazz for dinner" is as far as that relationship goes.

18. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Songwriters should make less. Scribble on a cocktail napkin can't compare to a performer touring 200 days a year.

19. Rocky's Owner

Hey Siri, play some Kenny G.

Hey Siri, I can't get into it. It's too demanding. Hey Siri, play some more Taylor Swift.

Daven23 likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Spotify was actually in the black for Q3 2019.

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Wow, what an indictment that is. My MacBook Pro's laptop speakers sound like an after thought by Apple. They are simply terrible.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't have anything against streaming. I do believe artists should be compensated fairly but that goes for every medium of delivery.

I use streaming but not exclusively. Philip thinks I should get rid of everything and get Apple speakers, that is just so ludicrous. I like having a kickass stereo, I like having records, cds, SACDs etc. I was listening to my original UK 1st press of Jethro Tull's Broadsword and the Beast last night and thought Siri can't play this for me.

23. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You didn't get the gist of his post, but I did. For some reason, there are some who require the physical CD or liners to get a full appreciation of the music being presented. So a digital download, or a stream, is somehow automatically inferior just on those grounds alone. For me, the audio is of primary importance and I get enjoy said album that way. And even get nostalgic over it, years later.

As for the corporate model, you make it sound like CD's are being churned out from the artist's basement. Maybe you've forgotten that the CD format itself was created by SONY and Philips. Perhaps you've also forgotten that the labels are likely run by those same billionaires, and are just as faceless and yet you and me and many others still buy into that format. And vinyl as well. Different job...same bosses.

I do agree with you on the concerns where album licensing could change and it's generally my biggest concern with streaming services in general. I've already seen it happen over the last 14 years or so and I'm sure more changes will come in the future. It's one of the reasons why I still buy what I like.

goodiesguy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've actually read that the HomePod is actually sounds very good and does auto-align with the acoustics in your room. And yes, it's mono but you can buy a second one to make it stereo.

My problem is that it's completely Apple walled garden so I wouldn't buy them for that reason alone.

goodiesguy and Hermes like this.
  25. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Well said.

Lownote30 and Tullman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.