Terminator: Dark Fate*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

he's got an agenda.

Oatsdad and sunspot42 like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I’m not really understanding what “fresh ideas” people are looking for in a Terminator movie. I did enjoy the human/terminator hybrid elements and thought the swap of John Conner raised some interesting pre-destination ideas and overall it was more than what I expected; definitely better than the last two and at least equal with the third - maybe better because both Linda and Arnold were great.

I enjoyed the action scenes, especially the first one in the factory and environs, and they wouldn’t have been any more exciting with a male lead.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

See, when you go off on some sort of imagined slight, it's difficult to take the rest of your post as anything but agenda driven axe grinding.

:sigh:

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

My agenda is I'd like good action movies to be made today like they were back in the day. I want something to come out that is as good as Predator or Commando, and I think that part of the magic recipe to make that happen is to go back to testosterone. Make Action Male Again. MAMA! (what an ironic acronym!)

5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

There seem to be endless testosterone driven action movies coming out, hello Liam Neeson, Jason Statham, Gerard Butler, Matt Damon and on and on.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Haha. Okay man, whatever. “Iconic”. I never really liked T2 even when it came out. Reversing roles never really inspired me as being creative even when I was 16. The story could have gone in so many awesome ways but instead Cameron basically just made a bigger budgeted remake of the first and threw in a lousy kid actor. The comic book series that came out in the mid to late 80s before T2 was a heck of a lot better and gave a good idea of the direction the series should have gone, instead of making the same movie over and over again but “with a twist”. I thought they almost had it with Salvation but somehow the components didn’t quite line up. It’s the film that Cameron should have made 20 years earlier. He could have even logically brought Arnold back into the story that way if he wanted to.

7. I actually hated conner’s fate and they could have done something similar without his fate. The franchise is a little long in the tooth and it would take some radical reimagining to refresh this. One way—focus on completely different characters and how they cope rather than the iconic ones.

8. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It was a bit too Alien3. In retrospect, I’d rather they brought back Furlong and killed him off part way through.

9. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Many people don't know the T1-2 mythology at all. Shockingly, it seems Cameron is one of such people (dementia?).

For one thing, John Connor wasn't a random dude who lead the human resistance. He was a military genius and an extremely charismatic leader ("I'd die for John Connor." - T1), a very rare person, especially in a post-apocalyptic world where most of humans are DEAD. It's like saying Napoléon Bonaparte could have been anybody and nothing would change. That's nonsensical, sloppy writing.

10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Red letter Media's take was it's okay and would have been far better if not for two things that dragged the movie down...

Arnold and Linda.

Bring back the Sarah Connor Chronicles... I want to know more about the liquid/solid terminator civil war etc. etc.

agentalbert likes this.
  11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I loved that series. For me it was the best "reboot" of the franchise. It's a shame it got cancelled after season 2. The finale teased one heck of a new direction.

daglesj likes this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah they threw the kitchen sink in with that episode. So much great stuff to explore, made it all the more frustrating.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Saw it tonight and thought it was awful. The plot was so topsy-turvy and convoluted, I defy anybody to map out a timeline where anything makes sense. Having it wind up at Hoover Dam -- I assume it was Hoover Dam, right outside Vegas -- was even more bizarre.

This is another one of these movies where you have to wonder where the characters have so much money to bop around to different places in a day, how they get cars, how they get lots and lots of weapons, ammunition, ID, and the luck to get into all kinds of secret places without too much trouble. And the fact that it took five writers to put this mess together is sobering.

I was shocked to watch the end credits and discover that most of the movie was shot in Hungary and Spain (!!!), and not in Mexico and the U.S. (where the story took place). There's like 500 Hungarian names in the credits, which was a big tip off. I assume if they had shot it in America, it would've cost $200 million instead of only $180 million.

Another bomb for Skydance (run by David Ellison, son of Oracle founder Larry Ellison). They've been very hit and miss lately.

14. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Stick with talking about the movie and leave social commentary out of it.

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Lots of information on the production/filming can be found here.

Terminator: Dark Fate - Wikipedia

Production was initially intended to start in March 2018, but was delayed due to casting. It was then expected to start during May and end during November with filming taking place in Hungary, United Kingdom, Spain and Mexico.[95] In April 2018, the film's release date was delayed to November 2019.[96] Filming began on June 4, 2018, under the working title Terminator 6: Phoenix,[19][97][98] in Isleta del Moro, Almería, Spain.[99][100] The first day of filming involved the pivotal opening scene featuring the characters of the T-800, Sarah Connor, and John Connor. Each of the three characters were portrayed in the scene by body doubles, and digital de-aging was later applied to give them a youthful appearance. The doubles wore special hoods that tracked their head movements, allowing their facial features to be replaced later by new motion-capture facial footage recorded by Schwarzenegger, Hamilton, and Furlong.[94][86]

Vidiot likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really loved the series too. I thought Shirley Manson (of Garbage) did a very good job for someone who wasn't a natural actor.

FVDnz and sunspot42 like this.
  17. I don’t think Ellison would know a good movie if it bit him on the ass. The less involved he is in a project, the better.

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I saw this film last week and I agree with all the criticisms here. However I thoroughly enjoyed it!

David Campbell likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definitely double dip / dvd.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought Arnie was the best thing in this film and the previous one. Fat chance of him being involved in another one now.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, the Terminator franchise was always a cult franchise that happened to score with one big hit: "T2".

The first movie was an influential cult classic, but it didn't do big $$$.

"T2" was a huge hit, and that changed possible perceptions for the subsequent films. They couldn't be lean 'n' mean like "Terminator": they had to be huge, big-budget extravaganzas.

Seems like mass audiences dug "T2" because it was something fresh but they really weren't that interested in the franchise as a whole, so they didn't care where the story went after that movie.

The series could survive if it went back to smaller budgets and less emphasis on huge spectacle, but I doubt that'll happen...

22. Oatsdad

Anything with Shirley Manson is automatically great! :D

agentalbert likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

3 years. "T2" is set in 1995 and the flashback is 1998...

24. Oatsdad

25. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

I haven't seen Dark Fate, but reading summaries of the story it sounds so convoluted and tiresome. Really this is a series where diminishing returns are inevitable. Even one sequel was probably pushing it a bit. In the 1940s they'd soon have ended up with Terminator Meets The Wolf Man and Abbott And Costello Meet Terminator.

(On the other hand, is there anyone here who wouldn't want to see Robert Patrick's Terminator in pursuit of Lou Costello?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.