The Vinyl Community on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Yet, he has got 157000 subscribers. The ones I like have about 1000 !
    I like Ken Micallef , vinyl richie , steve Carlson , dereck higgins ( when he's not complaining but talks about music ) , our boy Mazzy ( offcourse ) and Dillon from noble records.

troggy and lazydawg58 like this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

A couple of newish ones that I enjoy:

Eight Vinyl Low
    Trevor The Clever

Meanwhile, has Matt Sands retired?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Matt became a father and opened a record store so I think he has less free time these days.
    He does post, just not as often.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

I see BarakaPDub has made a few new videos. I enjoy his stuff...very informative.

Kamaaina1 likes this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Not a fan of Ken Micallef due to his strident anti-Music Matters Jazz diatribes but yet he likes the Tone Poet pressings since they're mastered the exact same way as the Music Matters pressings? :crazy:

zombiemodernist likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality Thread Starter

Eight Vinyl Low is great. She’s a Cheap Trick mega fan...which is cool, because I think they’re awesome.

I will check out Trevor the Clever.

lazydawg58 and troggy like this.
  7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think you're right. In fact, I'd like to get up to his record store sometime. It's about two hours from me. I did see Matt at the St. Louis record show this past Sunday but didn't get a chance to talk to him.

vudicus likes this.
  8. nosliw

Another good YouTube vinyl channel, Scott Waters, who do metal/hard rock vinyl LPs: Scott Waters

jon9091 likes this.
  9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Another new channel I'm really enjoying is i buy old records. I really like his videos, since I collect 45s and have spent countless hours digging through them in thrift shops, antique malls, flea markets and the like. Here, we get to see a lot of the same.

10. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I find Vinyl Rewind to be the cream of the crop when it comes to Vinyl/Music reviews. He does amazing in-depth work and deserves way more attention

lazydawg58 and Mazzy like this.
  11. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Hi Matt. I watch your channel all the time even though my taste in music differs greatly from yours. I'm much older and mostly a classic rock guy, which is largely the demographic here, I think, and probably why you don't get many mentions. But I enjoy listening to people who obviously love music and their collections, regardless of the genre. I stumbled across the VC by accident a couple of years ago and was surprised and thrilled that it even existed. Keep it up . . . even though I still have no idea what the hell vaporwave is. :winkgrin:

12. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I'm the same way. A 50+ Classic Rock guy. I've watched a few of his videos and they are good, but I am not the demographic he is shooting for, so I don't comment or share.

Macman likes this.
  13. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I thought about uploading various "forgotten" music to YouTube . I believe YouTube now doesn't care if you have the copyright or not. They use their content ID system to put ads on your videos..

The problem is recording the video and merging it with the line out audio recording is a pain.. I think I have found an easy way to do it using a raspberry pi, USB sound card and YouTube API to automatically upload videos.. I can share details if anyone is interested..

14. The difference is Ken's opinion is that MMJ is about twice the price, not available in retail stores and they randomly raises prices when stock is low. He likes that Tone Poet are of similar high quality and sell at a reasonable price. Plus they are available for sale in the New York jazz store he works in...

Cervelo and jawaka1000 like this.
  15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The other thing I like about this guy is he's posting several new videos a week. He's not in Mazzy territory but it's still impressive.

16. :tiphat:

troggy likes this.
  17. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Alan Shulman has a good channel that I’d recommend

18. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

That's a big ol' "it depends" there. There are official uploads that have been nuked for no apparent reason as well as some questionable copyright claims on otherwise valid material, so proceed with caution.

12" 45rpm likes this.
  19. nosliw

What I'm referring to is his hate against MMJ in his video "Music Matters: Don't believe the hype"on YouTube, which he said that the mastering not sounding the EXACT same as the originals and yet I'm very puzzled that he loves the Tone Poet pressings since they're done by the same individuals as the later MMJ releases.

Either he has a lot to lose for selling his original pressings at the shop or he's quite myopic in his views.

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I really like The “IN” Groove video channel. I just wish there were fewer unboxing videos and more like this one

21. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I just saw this thread. I started watching VC videos a few months ago and started making them in November. They are fun to do and provide an opportunity to talk music and records without boring your friends and family that have little more than a passing interest. I haven't read all the the thread here but a few other channels that are really good include, The Digital Gramophone, Julius Jabbar, Melinda Murphy, Grandma's Handbag, Randall Weaver, Chris has the Spins, Off The Beaten Track, The Omaha Introvert, Vinyl Rundown and BluesGuy Vinyl.

Here is my most recent post, a Soul Brother # 1 thread.

Sean, jon9091, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  22. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Steve Carlson and Mazzy are the kings as far I'm concerned. :tiphat:

Mazzy likes this.
  23. We love you lazy dog :tiphat:

lazydawg58 likes this.
  24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

25. Virtual Whack-A-Mole