Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

That was creepy. I saw it for the first time when I was a kid (prob 11 or 12) and the first thing I thought at that age was "ahh boobies!" and then she turned into the creepy hag.

Derek Slazenger and neo123 like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Could see this film being a surprise hit at the box office!!!

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I am biased that I am generally a huge Kubrick fan, and it's also been a couple of decades since I read the book. I have enjoyed a lot of King's work but I did not enjoy the book of The Shining, which for better or worse I read long after I had seen the film. I could have been greatly misinterpreting the book at the time, but for me it played more like a writer's extended horror-based metaphor about alcoholism than anything else, at least on some level in comparison to the film, which distanced me and didn't have the same impact for me as the film did. I am always a bit discouraged that King has spoken negatively about the film, I am a fan but outside of adaptations of non-horror stories like Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me, I can't think of any adaptation of his work that has become so iconic let alone considered one of the best horror films of all time ("It" and its sequel seem to be a contender for some in recent times, however.)

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would say Carrie (1976), Dead Zone, Misery, Green Mile, and Stand By Me all did very well, both for profit and for critical acclaim. It's sobering to look at the worldwide grosses for the Top 10 films taken from Stephen King books:

[​IMG]

Note that The Shining did well in America, but did not do nearly as well worldwide.

SRC likes this.
  5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Anyone else going to the 10/30 show?

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Definitely going to see this as soon as I can, but there are lots of movies I want to see being released in November and December. Don't know exactly when I will see this, though. Just in the first two weeks of November, I want to see The Irishman, Terminator: Dark Fate, Midway and Doctor Sleep.

7. Propinquity

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So I saw this trailer in the theater and I could see
    How they created the Overlook using CGI. On the small screen I couldn’t notice it. Big screen better? I dunno in this case.

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Just got back from seeing this.

Overall, the main thing is I enjoyed the film and am glad I went. As a fan of the first film I felt it was both faithful tot it, whilst also being completely it's own thing for much of the film.

I did think that Rose The Hat's clan were a little silly, and it felt like it was almost like watching zombies when they feverishly devoured the "shine" of their victims, but other than that, good performances all round in the main, and an enjoyable couple of hours. It could maybe have benefitted by being a little shorter, but I got my money's worth!

10. Propinquity

Agreed on all points. There were a few little things here and there I didn't care for but overall the movie turned out much better than I expected.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  11. ries

ries Forum Resident

really curious about this. Mike Flanagan proved he has the chops to deliver compelling cinematic stories in Gerald's Game/Haunting of Hill House.

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If the movie is half as good as the book then I'm in.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

D o c t o r S l e e p?
    Just seen the late afternoon performance. Should do well at the box office stateside. Not that scary though.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. alexpop

None of you cats seen the film yet?

15. APH

APH Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it, though I wish there was more of normal life.in the small town.
    It did a good job of knitting King's Shining with Kubrick's, with the King version triumphant.
    The depiction of Rose was great, really brought her to life.
    I became a fan of Mike Flanagan after watching Gerald's Game. He's no great stylist, but is really good at characters and making you care.
    The only scenes I didn't like were:

The redrum words appearing like a logo on the blackboard, wrecking a great scene, for me.

The ease with which they killed the gang, and the price of this being the death of the friend being very predictable .

neo123 likes this.
  16. alexpop

Think the film fell away in the third act.

Never read the novel, I’m sure it was better.

17. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

How scary is this film?

18. alexpop

None.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

We’re seeing it this weekend. Didn’t read the book but I’ve read the Shining and seen the Kubrick film and the mini-series many times.

I still remember seeing the original film opening weekend and being enraged that it didn’t follow the book.

20. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Is that a response to my , how scary inquiry?

21. APH

APH Forum Resident

Not very scary. I didn't think the book was really trying to be scary, it's closer to the good vs evil battle of the Stand,(and lots of other King stories) than it is to the original Shining.
    The film has a couple of scenes that are quite scary.
    I'd rate them as follows:
    Shining book 10/10 scary.
    Shining film 5/10 being generous.
    Dr Sleep book and film 5/10 maybe?

johnod likes this.
  22. APH

APH Forum Resident

It did fall away in the third act. On paper, the changes in act three were all good. But they broke the momentum of the new story I was invested in, to pay fan service to the old story.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

How essential is it to have read the book, which I haven't done? And while I have read "The Shining", the movie is far more embedded in my mind. But since King didn't like Kubrick's version, I expect there is some dissonance between this movie and "The Shining" movie most of us remember.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The AA stuff has been cut, correct?

25. alexpop

None of you USA cats seen the film yet ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.