Don't "upgrade" to Catalina if you have a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Oct 8, 2019.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Yep, we’re all just monthly subscribers now.

2. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

"I'm wondering if Catalina does away with the previous directory structure; that is, whether it'll still be possible to just copy the iTunes folder (or whatever it's called now) and use that copy if needed."

I'm wondering about this too. It's looking to me like it has changed.

3. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

There should be 2 now: one for TV/Movies and one for music. There's a .tvlibrary file and a .musiclibrary file.

Stone Turntable and JediJoker like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It is well known that companies have lost major market share by letting others take small bits of their market share and not being concerned about it. Some have eventually even lost all their market share by letting any of it go. Eventually, they will feel the pain. But they are too busy right now being up on cloud nine.

5. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Thinking about it a bit, my view is that even if file &/or directory names have changed, and even if the structure or organization differs from the "old" iTunes, it's still just a collection of data to accessed by the app and likely not located in the read-only system volume. There is some more-or-less encouraging information here: Kirkville - Locations of Media Files in macOS Catalina
    So I'm a bit less concerned than I was. It would appear that music will be found in ~/Music...same as in iTunes. I'd like to test in on a non-critical MBP I have, but that machine won't support Catalina. Prudent thing to do is just be patient and see what develops.

JediJoker likes this.
  6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

You can extract most (not all) of the metadata associated with your iTunes library using the File / Library / Export Playlist menu item. This will create a plain text (tab delimited) or XML file that includes Play Count, Last Played Time, etc (caveat: this is for iTunes on a Mac, I'm not certain the same is true for Windows but it probably is). The tab delimited file has these columns:-

Code:
    [vvv@macbook ~ 7]$ tr '\r' '\n' < Music.txt | head -1 | tr '\t' '\n' | nl
         1    Name
         2    Artist
         3    Composer
         4    Album
         5    Grouping
         6    Work
         7    Movement Number
         8    Movement Count
         9    Movement Name
        10    Genre
        11    Size
        12    Time
        13    Disc Number
        14    Disc Count
        15    Track Number
        16    Track Count
        17    Year
        18    Date Modified
        19    Date Added
        20    Bit Rate
        21    Sample Rate
        22    Volume Adjustment
        23    Kind
        24    Equalizer
        25    Comments
        26    Plays
        27    Last Played
        28    Skips
        29    Last Skipped
        30    My Rating
        31    Location

Galley and BruceS like this.
  7. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Warm fuzzies from that command line! :tiphat:

SamS and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  8. No Sleep Till Download

No Sleep Till Download Forum Resident

Catalina .1 upgrade has just been released, should fix some of the issues. Servers are slow atm certainly from the UK, also phone/watch and iPad updates.

9. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't fix my artwork.

10. No Sleep Till Download

No Sleep Till Download Forum Resident

Well that's a good start..

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Didn’t fix the filtering. Selecting an individual album in album view still takes you back to the top of the playlist after you view the tracks. Syncing is still slow and ambiguous.

tomjonze likes this.
  12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The .1 upgrade did fix the one problem I was having: my iPod Mini was syncing just fine, but my 160G Classic was getting hung up on Loading in the Finder window. It found it immediately this morning. I took a recommendation I'd seen here or elsewhere and restored it to factory settings, and it started syncing immediately.

My personal artwork is all where it should be, the app loads quickly when I open it, CD ripping is fast and stable, and it sounds good. At this point, I have no real complaints!

JediJoker and wgriel like this.
  13. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Sounds good. Now we need the Remote app fixed. Then, I might be in. Inexcusable to not be able to control Music from a mobile device.

14. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I'm downgrading to Mojave for now. Not sure this will ever be fixed.

Also, i noticed that Swinsian too has trouble to locate the artwork. So, it's the clue that points out to the problem being the changed location for the artwork (inside mac's libraries now).

Mike McMann and Galley like this.
  15. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

I wish I had seen this thread before updating.

I can't sync any new music to my iPhone after upgrading to Catalina. I don't use the Music subscription, but have a large library. It's now impossible to add new songs to my phone after the
    update.

When I try to sync using the finder, it just spins and spins. I've left it for an hour once, and it didn't sync a single additional song, just kept spinning.

They also got rid of the search playlists function. :shake:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Does your iPhone show up in Finder as an external drive?

17. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Yes. When I try to sync using the finder, it just spins and spins. I've left it for an hour once, and it didn't sync a single additional song, just kept spinning.

18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Mine took a very long time the first few times, but now it syncs just fine. I’ve got 19,000 tracks on my phone.

enro99 likes this.
  19. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Good to know. I’ll let it try to sync up overnight and see if that works.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I burnt a CD last night and the whole thing's changed. The only way to know it's burning is a microscopic line under the playlists. And I had to reset all the parameters.

21. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Apple, as is so often the case, did not find out what users actually wanted before they did this. Several people at work have been seriously impacted and as the "reluctant Mac network guy" they have come to me. Since this really isn't a work issue I've not been too impacted but the level of frustration has been serious.

JediJoker and sunspot42 like this.
  22. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

According to my experience the only reliable location for album artwork is embedded directly in the audio file.

Bubbamike and JediJoker like this.
  23. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

i have files with the artwork embedded on the file and yet Music doesn't recognize it.....

Galley likes this.
  24. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

I keep coming across a loud digital scratch or skip sound listening on Swinsian. My library was ripped from my CDs (which are now in storage across the country from me) and i went out to find another copy of the digital file for the song i found the noise on and replaced it and the sound still snapped. its always at the end of a song. Any ideas?

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Still have my large iTunes Library with Catalina, still no issues.... :righton: