"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

You are allowed to have different opinions there. But clearly they don't like it much... their idea of a different opinion over there, is whether Pete looks greater in the blue jump suit or Roger in the hippie outfit...which is greater...

But if you say something like "gee I don't know.....I think maybe The WHO----new album called WHO, is a pretty lousy title, or gee I think maybe that's going to make internet searches for a copy of the cd or reviews a lot harder, or will result in a million unrelated links like World Health organization, or Who was the best rock star or Who put The Beatles on Roll8ng Stone cover.......Which is the kinda stuff you get with an album title like that...

A whole bunch of posters shout you down,

I once made a post that started.....I read a post about the new album, on another forum yesterday & it said...

And they reply with stuff like, What are you reading another forum for ? Or...is it that other Forum where they think they know everything about the Who ? But don't know squat ?

They prefer posts like,, Oh the WHO are so ahead of their time & better than anyone else that ever existed, & of course Pete's writing is much better than anyone else !!

And the next post will say....Oh Roger is so sexy & no drummer ever came close to to Keith Moon. I used to listen to Metallica too, but now I only listen to Roger & Two Sides of the Moon...

That's honestly what most posts are like, & they intend to keep it that way !!!!!

2. Blaklazer

Blaklazer Forum Resident

thats a big reason i stick to this forum, for the most part Steve Hoffman users can share opinions and disagree about opinions without facing a lot of harassment, something that is rare in the age of social media. I am glad this site monitors trolling and abuse

3. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

I'm thrilled. I want this album to do well for them, and pre-orders already being sold out at Target is a good sign.

Jet Age Eric and Blaklazer like this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm hoping I'm wrong on this, but the sellout might be "speculators" buying it in hopes of it selling out completely then flipping it for 2-3x the price on ebay/Amazon/etc. Things like that happened with some of the Steve Wilson ltd edition releases.

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

It's just a temporary hold on taking new pre-orders. Seams to be a common occurrence theses days. Target will have more discs available prior to release day and you'll also be able to buy in-store.

slipkid and dee like this.
  6. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

For some reason I thought it looked like Tom Petty on the cover but probably not too likely o_O

7. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Couldn’t help but notice the resemblance between the repeating piano line at the beginning and the repeating synth on Baba O’Riley.
    Anyway not a bad song and it def. sounds like The Who. Sounds like the dirgelike songs on Quadrophenia a bit

8. Herman Schultz

It reminds me more of Join Together than anything else. I love it.

9. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Funnily enough ATMMF in the chorus reminds me of American Idiot.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

It doesn’t sound like much has changed there since I last visited that pitiful forum 10 years ago.

11. Herman Schultz

Brian Kehew's Backstage Blog is fantastic. The forum is not.

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The blogs are posted on The Who's offical FB page.

dee likes this.
  13. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

My Generation: 3 stars
    A Quick One: 4 stars
    Sell Out: 5 stars
    Tommy, 1st Half: 5 stars :love:
    Tommy, 2nd Half: 3 stars :sigh:
    Live At Leeds: 5 stars
    Who's Next: 5 stars
    Quadrophenia: 5 stars
    Who By Numbers: 3.5 stars
    Who Are You: 3 stars
    Face Dances: 2.5 stars
    It's Hard: 4 stars
    Endless Wire: 2 stars

I have an irrational love for It's Hard :righton:

Bomber1, J_D__ and Jet Age Eric like this.
  14. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

If you visit it, you have to take the forum as it goes. It’s a strange place for a band’s official site.

For starters, it’s downright hysterical that a band made up of some of the biggest mouths in rock as well as being historically one of the most pugilistic bands ever has an online forum in which no dissent is tolerated.

The other thing is for what should be a PR-savvy, social media-friendly and fan-friendly commercial enterprise, it’s run like a mom’n’pop shop with seemingly no concept of SEO, among other things. I mean, sure, The Who is a small band, but it’s a fair-sized commercial enterprise with real money behind it and real revenue. It’s amazing to me how it’s forums and site are, from an outsider’s perspective, seemingly run. Not that the band doesn’t spend money on it, they seem to with a few staff. But the organization seems very haphazard, without well thought-out policy and really precious little customer support for what’s supposed to be a commercial site. Their staff can’t even knowledgeably answer questions about things their store sells. I get it that it’s 2 different things to a degree — the store and the forums — but you dang well ought to at least know what it is being sold off your site and with your brand. You shouldn’t need to ask your customers to go find out what they’ll be selling, which I’ve read in threads there.

Another funny thing about that forum is for a band which has had so many controversies, their forum refuses to have any part of any of them, even relatively minor kerfuffles. I don’t mean the site should tolerate bullying or anything like that. For example, heaven forbid you point out to them that Roger’s a Brexiter or that “Ball And Chain” very explicitly advocates trying al Qaeda suspects. It’s all very...

“...You didn't hear it, you didn't see it /
    “You won't say nothing to no one...”

Indeed!

Those are some of the more innocuous examples I can think of. That goes back to not being a very PR-savvy place.

Anyway, I should say something about the album. I like the 2 singles so far, better IMO than anything from Pete since maybe “Who Are You,” or at least since “You Better You Bet.” I also like that while it certainly sounds like The Who, it also sounds very modern. And The Who’s sound was always forward-leaning at its best. I have high hopes for the LP.

Herman Schultz likes this.
  15. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

Excerpt from Pete's book The Age of Anxiety out today

In the first chapter we learn that Paul Jackson, who physically sounds a lot like Daltrey, "lost his marbles" while shooting the final scene of a movie. While taking off on a hang glider, he sees a vision he calls "The Harvest"

He lands somewhere in the mountains and no one can find him for a while, and when they do he claims he has turned into the character he was portraying and refuses to come off the mountain.

Until years later when he does with all these mystical paintings he has done.

Pete Townshend is insane.

Detroit Music Fan and MPLRecords like this.
  16. Detroit Music Fan

How’s the excerpt? Is it a good read, entertaining, funny or dramatic?

17. zeppo1

zeppo1 Forum Resident

It's interesting.

It's hard to tell yet just what he's going for. I think it is going to open up into a whole bunch of characters Raymond Carver Short Cuts type story.

But check it out for yourself. The first chapter is up on Amazon.

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

19. Detroit Music Fan

So, based on recent purchases of newly released vinyl, does anyone have a prediction on which vinyl will be the better pressing for “WHO?” Polydor (UK) or MCA/Interscope/Universal (US)?

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks Reb. Might as well get it done now rather than procrastinate any longer......ORDERED!

reb likes this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The current Target pre-order offer now includes free shipping. Previously, there was a charge for shipping. I still plan on buying in-store day of release, as there are many Target locations in my area.

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, I noticed shipping was FREE. That was a nice surprise. I was trying to change the shipping option to be pickup at local store to avoid the shipping charges but then realized I didn't need to.

reb likes this.
  23. Herman Schultz

Are you saying that there is no reason whatsoever to ever visit the forum? :)

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No, not at all. I'm a member there and have no issues reading and participating. What I was pointing out, is I'm certain the main moderator ( RE) there also runs the official FB page. The FB Who page is very active, with thousands of members and you can also stay up to date on the blogs.-

Edit: I just checked - there are almost 5 million followers on The Who's FB page.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Herman Schultz likes this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I've gone through 6-8 months of emotional ups & downs, waiting for this album !!! The Euphoria of a new full length album work by the WHO !!!

Then the gritting of teeth waiting, waiting, with occasional highs from each of the 2 new singles, the 3rd new song played in concert & video recorded...now the promise of a 3rd new single-promo song in November! ( we'll see ) . The happy news of 3 studio bonus tracks ! ( plus the 4th track a 65-66 demo vinyl only ). My personal favorite so far....The rough session takes during the 'new album vlogs' back in March?....I heard the roughs of the new song Detour...& thought OH YEAH! This is it ! A stomping R&B groovy track ! A cross between WHO 1965 & some later influences...a reviewer from either London Times, Mojo or uncut...equated or called it the WHO's new Magic Bus track! Great description I thought, not literally the Bo Diddley vibe...but an infectious catchy early WHO vibe, with a few more modern keyboard & other sounds.

So The WHO don't get a complaint in my book, as anxious as the waiting has been, we've heard 2 singles, a 3rd on the way, & umpteen chances to hear Hero Ground Zero on video. Plus as I said the roughs on Detour....Supposedly AT LEAST 2-3 of the remaining songs are thought by reviewers to be as strong as the ones we've heard... meaning I guess AT LEAST 7-8 of the tunes are as good as the 2 singles ( In Their Opinion )

They toured to support it, have a lyric video for Music Will Fade, splurged big money for Peter Blake on the artwork, & apparently Universal & Polydor are giving it a big push & their 'best efforts'...

So imo we've been very well treated as fans, a good to great new album, with supporting tour, label support, big budget, outside producer ( thank God ) Zak even plays half or nearly half the album.. ( depending on bonus track credits )...Townshend has a new novel & solo album pending, he played on Daltreys solo Lp last year...and the scuttlebutt says we'll get archival (60s) recordings pretty soon !!! We almost know that certainly, there will be another live album & or video of the tour with orchestra...

So how can I complain ! They have us all this at age 74-75 years old !!.....

So I'm exhausted already! Give us a 3rd tune to chew on while we ( continue continue continue) waiting, waiting for the album !!!

Truth Be told.....I'm just about as excited for a copy of the full ( 1964 ) It Was You & ( presumably) a few additional lost-found 60s tracks !!!

And YES for some screwball reason we get the 65 solid demo of Sand huh ?