Don't "upgrade" to Catalina if you have a large iTunes library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Oct 8, 2019.

1. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

When you say backup, can you just move the Music out of the Music folder to your desktop for the time being until you perform those other steps?

2. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

I tried syncing again to my iPhone, added an album to a playlist. I let it go over night, and this morning, the new album was added. So that seemed to work.

But I'm trying again now. I added one more song to see if it would work faster.

Again, it's syncing, spinning endlessly. It shouldn't take that long to sync one additional song. I can't tell if it's backing up also, or just "syncing".

3. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

May I ask which file format you use to store your audio files? For example it’s a known (and sad) fact that AIFF and WAV don’t reliably support embedding of cover artwork.

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Have you installed the .1 Catalina OS update? I had that exact problem until I installed that update, now my iPod syncs perfectly.

JediJoker likes this.
  5. tomjonze

tomjonze Well-Known Member

literally no issues? all artwork uploads fine and the fact that when you click on an album it opens a new full menu and not the old drop down from before? these aren't happening or you don't care?

6. tomjonze

mostly MP3... 0 WAV because if i wanted large file sizes i would just go all the way to lossless

7. Danby Delight

All of my artwork uploaded within the first 24-36 hours after I upgraded, and that includes all of the obscure custom artwork that I had added for albums and singles that would never be in the Apple Music database. (Things like an LP of commercials for ABC television's fall 1967 lineup, vintage British and Italian library music LPs, a mid-60s LP of easy listening tunes built on the sounds of industrial offset printers, that sort of thing.)

I honestly couldn't tell you what happens when I click on an album, because I do the majority of my listening through playlists. But yeah, the artwork issue is straight up not a problem for me. It's all there where it had been in iTunes.

Really sorry that it's not the same for you apparently, though. That sucks.

8. enro99

enro99 Forum Resident

Yes -- Catalina is up to date on my iMac.

9. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Has Apple nuked the ability to create mixes using Genius? I have it still enabled but can't appear to get mixes but can still make playlists based off of songs

yodog likes this.
  10. abelpinate

abelpinate Active Member

Hi!!!

This is my first post. I've been reading this forum for years... learning but I didn't register because I haven't yet something to share.
    Another time here, reading all the post since the beginning just to flow my upset with this horrible Music app.

But I came here to share with you this: a guy create an app called Retroactive, that let you to install iTunes (3 versions), Apperture and iPhoto. If you have used last time Mojave, then you have to use the 12.9. It's depend of your bandwidth. In my case took hours because my country it's limited to 1,5mb.

I'm testing, and works perfect. Thanks the universe I keep the hope with that zipped iTunes library before the upgrade.

cormiertyshawn895/Retroactive

The 12.15.1 did't resolve the problem with artworks for me. In general, my MBP 2012 works great, but the app Music don't fit in my workflow. It's a don't know how to explain it... like dumb?
    I hate at all that action of a new page if you click and album, since I switch constantly from one album to another (and getting back to iTunes, I notice I was getting the habit of the forward click but most of the time I hated it... and habit that you hate... like being lazy).

I was very excited at the beginning with the launch of that app... but Apple it's forcing us to use Music... and I don't have access to it. If I could pay, I will do, but I can't because I live in an country mmmm very complicated... Venezuela. In fact, I use Spotify free to save space in my HD for the losses music I have.

That's it. I hope works for you all.

btltez likes this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

12. abelpinate

abelpinate Active Member

It should return that old behavior were you click an album and it's appears just below, not a new page that you have to return.

Even in the 15.1, mines still has the artwork problems..

I don't know if many of your have noted a new cutter option of view (command+f) in albums view. In the old iTunes you can sort the view in album then artist, and then year par example. Right now, you just can't.

Galley and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

This, and the radical dumbing down of the filtering are by far my biggest complaints. What I used to be able to do in seconds now takes minutes and is much less efficient.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. tomjonze

hmmmm...how do you have your artwork tagged? i wonder if its User Error....
    also out of curiosity how do you play your music? i'm running into a new issue. Ive found that when i stream music over bluetooth to my stereo from my large library files are making digital skips...but when played straight on computer no such issue. but this is with Swinsian and other 3rd party players. swinsian rep said that he had heard of issues from OS side. my computer is in a different room from my stereo....it would really suck to find a way to run a cable from one side of the house to the other to stop this digital scratching sound.

15. Werner Berghofer

Unfortunately I have no experience with MP3 and iTunes because I use the Apple Lossless Audio Encoder (ALAC) file format instead. Exactly how did you embed the album artwork? In iTunes, did you select tracks, press CMD+I and drag the artwork file into the dialog box? In the Finder, is the cover artwork visible when you switch to icon view or preview mode?

16. Werner Berghofer

Is there a way to make your stereo amplifier or receiver AirPlay compatible? I’m pretty sure that wireless streaming via WiFi is much more reliable and better sounding than via Bluetooth.

17. Danby Delight

1. They're just plain jpg files uploaded through the "add artwork" function under "get info."

2. Either directly off my MacBook Pro (which I use exclusively in my office in clamshell mode with a keyboard and monitor attached, as well as a subwoofer that's running two Boston Acoustic A70s) or downloaded onto my iPod mini. I don't stream my library, so I'm afraid I'm no help there.

18. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

They stopped producing it, but the last Airport Express could be used that way. It has a digital optical output and can act as an AirPlay receiver. They even updated the software so it works with AirPlay 2. You can probably find them easily enough on Amazon or eBay.

ando here likes this.
  19. Werner Berghofer

Pardon me for my nitpicking, but the artwork file is not uploaded, but actually written (embedded) directly into the audio file(s) stored locally on a computer’s disk. Uploading is the process of transferring data to a remote file server via LAN, WLAN or Ethernet.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    tomjonze likes this.
  20. Werner Berghofer

AirPlay was available even in the first generation of the Airport Express plugs. It was called “AirTunes” at that time. I used a lot of Airport Express plugs and stations connected optically to various DACs. One is still in use in my home, but I found Yamaha’s “MusicCast” wireless streaming protocol to be fully compatible with AirPlay and ironically much more robust and less susceptible to dropouts as the Apple Airport Express products.

The best solution might be to use one of the many receivers and amplifiers which are compatible with AirPlay 2, to use a Yamaha receiver with built-in MusicCast/Airplay support or to add a Yamaha MusicCast WXAD-10 wireless streaming adapter to any existing amplifier or receiver, regardless of brand and manufacturer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  21. Danby Delight

And yet you understood what I was saying, so mission accomplished.

tomjonze likes this.
  22. Werner Berghofer

No, mission not accomplished. Of course I understood what you tried to say, but someone else who may not be so familiar with the subject matter might believe that a cover art file is actually being uploaded to any mysterious cloud.

No offense, but sloppy writing is a sign of sloppy thinking.

23. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Apple TV can be used for AirPlay, but you’ll need HDMI on your receiver.

24. Not necessarily. I know some very bright people with good ideas who just cannot effectively communicate on paper.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  25. Danby Delight

OK Berghofer