Favorite voices from TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by danielanderson2100, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielanderson2100

danielanderson2100 Active Member Thread Starter

Some of my favorite voices are from daytime shows like for example Bill Wolff, who who announced for Another World from its debut in 1964 until (I believe) some time in the '80s, Johnny Olsen, who pulled extensive duty for Goodson-Todman game shows and Mel Brandt, who announced the soap opera The Doctors, not to mention Gene Wood, who also handled a lot of the Goodson shows and was Richard Dawson's sidekick on the original Family Feud.

2. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Anything voiced by Mel Blanc or June Foray.

All Down The Line and Veggie Boy like this.
  4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Paul Frees provided a lot of great voices through the years:

Also on my list of favorite voices are Rod Serling, Boris Karloff, and Vincent Price

forthlin and Ignatius like this.
  5. Dan Castellaneta as Homer on The Simpsons. He could read the phone book in that voice and I'd lose it.

Chilli and Ignatius like this.
  6. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Frank Nelson "Yessssss!"

[​IMG]

7. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Pat Buttram as Mr. Haney

boboquisp and forthlin like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Arnold Stang-Top Cat...

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

William Conrad, for his Rocky and Bullwinkle narration if nothing else, and there was plenty else.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Gotta be Mel Blanc or i's be huntin' wabbits!

Veggie Boy likes this.
  11. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Phil Hartman. No one was ever funnier on the Simpsons.

vinnie, Standoffish, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  12. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Allan "Rocky" Lane a.k.a

[​IMG]

"Wilbuuur!"

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

What a talent. I've often said that there's very, very few people in the post-1980 SNL casts who could hold their own with the originals, but Phil Hartman is one of them. Brilliant guy. He could've had a great career just as an announcer, but he was a lot more than that.

jwoverho and mr. steak like this.
  14. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Always enjoyed William Schallert, both on-camera and in voiceover on countless commercial spots.

15. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Shadoe Stevens (Hollywood Squares)
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Not from an actual show, but here's Don Robertson of CBS Sports (in opening billboards for The Prudential College Football Report, w/Jim Nantz, et al.)

17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

“Hello Angels....”

18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I don't want to brag about having a great ear or anything... But I was just watching this random western episode when it sounded to me like the brunette had been dubbed by June Foray:

FF to 19:52

Just checked IMDb. Turns out I was right.

19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The late great Oliver Postgate :)

[​IMG]

20. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Three that come to mind:

Dick Tufeld. Most famous for being the voice on the B-9 Robot on LOST IN SPACE, he also did a good amount of live announcing on things like Oscar, Emmy, Grammy telecasts and commercial and trailer voiceovers. It took me years to finally figure out what his name really was. He'd be given a slot to announce his name on some of the live awards shows, "This is Dick Tufeld speaking," but I could never quite get that last name as it was always buried under audience applause. I thought it might have been Dick "DuBell". Dick also provided the famous narration for the opening of most episodes of Irwin Allen's other series, THE TIME TUNNEL. "Two American scientists are lost in the swirling maze..."

William Woodson. This guy was not quite as prolific as Dick Tufeld, but his most famous announcing slot was for the opening of every episode of THE INVADERS. "Alien beings from a dying planet. Their destination: the Earth. Their purpose: to make it THEIR world..." His deep tones and the serious way he had about his pronunciations made to think everything he was saying was important. His other famous series narration was for THE ODD COUPLE.

John Facenda. Known as the voice of NFL films for many years, John Facenda was also the lead anchor of the local news on the CBS station in Philadelphia, WCAU-TV at the time. Since I grew up in Philadelphia, I was fortunate enough to hear Mr. Facenda on a nightly basis as we always watched his newscasts.

boboquisp likes this.
  21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Yes, William Conrad also provided the announcer voiceover for THE FUGITIVE, and played Matt Dillon on the radio version of GUNSMOKE.

22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Art Gilmore (1912-2010)

[​IMG]

He narrated scores of TV shows, commercials, record albums, and other media, but for movie buffs he will always be The King of the Trailers.

From his NY Times obit:

As the narrator of countless movie trailers (his wife estimated he did 3,000), Mr. Gilmore was an especially effective pitchman, delivering the language of hype with masterful conviction. Comedies, thrillers, romances, musicals, animation, documentaries — it didn’t matter. Among the films Mr. Gilmore promoted as coming attractions were “Dumbo,” “A Place in the Sun,” “Roman Holiday,” “Shane,” “Born Yesterday,” “Rear Window,” “South Pacific,” “War and Peace,” “Ocean’s 11,” “White Christmas” and “Bye Bye Birdie.”

“The screen jumps for joy with Glendon Swarthout’s inside story of those uproarious Easter vacations,” Mr. Gilmore pronounced in the trailer for “Where the Boys Are,” a 1960 comedy about college girls on the make. “Never before has any film contained such a full measure of the joy of living,” he asserted in the trailer for Frank Capra’s life-affirming small-town tale from 1946, “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

For the 1953 science-fiction thriller “The War of the Worlds” he declared: “This could be the beginning of the end for the human race!” And in a virtuosic bit of melodramatic recitation, he described Alfred Hitchcock’s loopy and masterful psychodrama “Vertigo” (1958) as “the story of a love so powerful it broke through all the barriers between past and present, between life and death, between the golden girl in the dark tower and the tawdry redhead that he tried to remake in her image.”​

Shane (1953)

He could do any genre, and had impressive range. He did the opening for the super serious Highway Patrol for example. But IMHO he was best suited to comedy and lighter material, making Paramount the perfect studio for him.

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis "Hollywood or Bust" 1956 theatrical trailer

He can be seen in the trailer for The Big Clock

The Big Clock Trailer (1948)

23. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.