Technics SL-1500c - Mat

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JSound, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSound

JSound New Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Just picked up a Technics 1500c and was looking to upgrade the mat to a Funk Firm Achromat. I read through several posts here and other sites and it seems to do miracles on sound improvements. As most of you, if sound can be improved...I will consider.
    Problem is I am not sure which model to purchase. 3MM, 5MM or the 1200.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I recently got a SL-1200GR and use a 5mm funk firm from my previous table. In my system, the FF mat is a much cleaner sound. The stock mat has more bass, but is less detailed. Some prefer the stock mat, it makes sense if you have a leaner sounding system. Doesn’t hurt to try

3. JSound

Thanks gguy. Its just that I read (can't remember where) that the technics metal platter has a groove which prohibits the FF mat to fit properly, hence why they make a mat called 1200. I just don't know if my platter is the same as the 1200.

4. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I believe this is on the older 1200’s. On the GR, it is near flush. The stock mat also does not have a lip. I am not sure if this is the case with the 1500C

punkmusick likes this.
  5. JSound

Thank you. I also orderd a Ortofon 2M Blue stylus to upgrade from the red. will check back in a couple of weeks to give you my verdict. Cheers!

6. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

7. JSound

Yes thank you, I read up on the OMA mat. Just a tad over my budget!

Coley likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

playing loud bass is a great way to test a new mat. the FF simply did not sound very good in my system on my GR- the bass was hollow and weaker sounding, lacked impact and colored the midrange. after fiddiling with a few others i decided to by another herbies way excellent mat (same i used on a previous table) and it sounds the best.

9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Be careful with cartridge height here. The SL-1500C has a different cartridge height range than the SL-1200 series...it’s 3mm lower. If you put a taller mat, you might have a problem raising the arm high enough to accommodate taller cartridges.

gguy likes this.
  10. JSound

Thanks for the heads-up snorker. I beleive I am already 4. Will need to verify if I can add an additional 2mm.

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

How much improvement did you hear with the blue stylus?

brimuchmuze likes this.
  12. JSound

I haven’t installed it yet. My father passed away and haven’t been up to it yet.
    Will let you know.

13. JSound

Switched the red out with the blue. After a break-in of about an hour I find the sound to be warmer throughout the LP, which is to my liking. So a thumbs up for me.

Curiosity likes this.
  14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Great to hear. I’m going to order a 1500c myself. Are you using the built in preamp?

15. JSound

I tried switching back and forth and found the sound to be equal. The builtin preamp is pretty good.

16. RS2099

RS2099 Forum Resident

Looking into this as well, as the 1500c rubber mat seems to attract lots of static. Not sure what size would be appropriate thoughm 3mm or 5mm? Also would this imply readjusting the tone arm?

Rattlin' Bones and BGLeduc like this.
  17. EightSixEight

EightSixEight Active Member

According to Funk Firm's site, the 1500C uses a standard 1200 to cope with the lip on the platter available in black only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.