Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Monk 2343 arrived ….everything visually perfect

2. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Hi Friends,
    Well my Bill Evans PIJ finally arrived to me in Sweden this weekend (being shipped before in may to a friend in IL, USA) # 1762 and the first notes were a wailing SRV-guitar. Darn!
    Mailed Mofi and they can send a replacement record for free - but only domestic USA. To Sweden I'll have to pay shipping and possible Customs to correct for their (RTI's) mistake.
    IMO they really should not make med pay the $25 for shipping a replacement and most likely $10 customs (even if the value is "zero" they charge a handling/customs fee)....

FashionBoy, sharedon, PATB and 2 others like this.
  3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’d fight that. That’s not right.

DavidD and Jrr like this.
  5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

My #1820 was also SRV. There was a run in that number range that was cursed. It took over 2 months to get my replacement. I can only hope that one day there will be this listing on Discogs of a very rare Bill Evans MoFi One-Step that has SRV on side one, and then you and I will be able to recover the cost of the hassle. ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

6. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

A rarity that will sell for 18k 35 years or so from now

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Seems like a common thread...they are great with US customer service and totally the opposite with international customers. Sorry to hear how they are treating you. It should cost you zero if a mfg makes a mistake imo.

Peter K and Gordon Johnson like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I just don’t get these guys. A super premium product and they just keep making stupid mistakes. Total carelessness and all easily avoidable. The guy in Sweden...that one really makes me angry.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

There we go again with MoFi's strange application of customer care.

Glad I'm out if all of that and only buy from reputable record manufacturers / sellers!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  10. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Thanks for your support! We'll see where we land, but I think they will force me to pay for shipping....I really have not much to bargain with I'm afraid....

11. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Anyway I have the impression that mispressed records do not have an advantage value-wise like for example stamps/coins. I don't think anyone would be so interested in buying a faulty PIJ? Would you?

12. Gordon Johnson

True, MoFi are not too keen to be supportive of customers even after taking such large sums for a single unit.

Very frustrating for you I'm sure.

I decided no record is worth that level if frustration and grief dealing with them.

13. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Bad business. Beyond ridiculous.

14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I would only sell my mispress as the third record in a corrected set. The buyer would also be made whole.

15. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Yes that would be the case - only together with a complete set.
    Well I've paid the shipping now and now the long wait begins...
    It will be nice to have a complete set - I just hope that the replacements are not made with too worn stampers....

16. Gordon Johnson

Amazon would have replaced the set for free!
    Plus the initial shipping outside of the US is half of what MoFi charge.

MoFi, talk about screwing the customer!

17. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Yep I guess you are right - it's expensive to be a collector.....;-)

Tullman likes this.
  18. Gordon Johnson

Sure is and an expensive way to simply enjoy music.

I find it hard to understand the attitude of MoFi regarding sales, faults and high priced product.

It is almost like telling some customers to [as polite as I can be], do one! I got the feeling that MoFi have no interest in sales outside of the US and feel that they simply have no interest in furthering that outlet. Still happy to take the money though.

19. Grainger49

Grainger49 Forum Resident

I preordered Blood Sweat & Tears self titled one step.

Does anyone have a handle on when it comes out?

Thanks.

20. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The thing about Amazon, from my own experience buying BOTW from them, is that if a set becomes unavailable, which these do quickly, they can't replace it, only offer to refund your money. When this happened to me, I turned to MD, who told me I would have to pay to ship my Amazon-purchased defective disc to them for replacement. I feel that they should stand by their product a little better than this, even if sold by other retailers.

shaft and Gordon Johnson like this.
  21. Gordon Johnson

Yep, that was my fear too regard "limited" runs. But these days mofis idea of limited is not aligned with the rest of us.

So I still wonder why they are not embracing "overseas" customers with these pricy pressings.

22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I preordered this one too. Apparently you can no longer do this. Not sure what this says about the possibility of it coming out but if it does I would suggest late 2020.

23. I’m not sure it says anything about the possibility of release. They just let the cat out of the bag before the tape condition was confirmed. Same for the ELO and Paul Simon titles.

I would agree it will be a while. Fragile, Mingus Ah Um, and Couldn’t Stand the Weather I would expect to come before any of those three.

Jellis77 likes this.
  24. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

So, you had it originally shipped to your friend in the US? Why don't you have MoFi send the replacement to your friend again and get it via them?

25. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Yeah I could have done that way but since I visit like every 2 years. The wait would just be too long ;-) I would just stare at that nice box and think of SRV and for 2 years - don't think so.
    Anyway MoFi said that MusicDirect will take over from here and send me the replacement. I do not have to send the faulty LP back. That actually happened to me once with a music matters title Dexter's Go which hade severe scratches when opened by me.