James Dean Reborn in CGI for Vietnam War Action-Drama

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BeatleJWOL, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I will pay actual money to see this film.

jwoverho, Gumboo, MRamble and 2 others like this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the mind boggles

3. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Wow, Vidiot, you must have REALLY disliked those prequels! Personally I'm inclined to cut Lucas a bit of slack - at least he tried to do something a bit different with them from the original/classic trilogy.

Can't disagree with you though about CGI Tarkin and Leia - they really do suck BIG time.....

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

They have to start someplace. I'm sure the technology is bad now, but it will improve. In 50 years, this may all be routine.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. It'll be like that early '80s movie Looker, where they make digital copies of the stars in their primes and then dispose of the puny flesh and blood originals.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Never saw it. Is it good?

7. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Well, it sounds like a dull movie that needs all the help it can get to attract viewers.

longdist01 and LeBon Bush like this.
  8. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I doubt it will be that convincing. It's good marketing though.

9. I saw it over 30 years ago, and recall it being OK in a TV movie sort of way. Here's the Wikipedia description, which suggests my memory was a bit off (it was models being scanned and killed, but close enough): Looker - Wikipedia

10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Here is a ghastly CGI re-creation of Jack Lord from an episode of the new Hawaii Five O. To me, it looks like a re-animated corpse. I suspect that zombie James Dean won't look much more lively than poor old digital Jack Lord did.

11. Veni Vidi Vici

I wonder how many people under 60 have even heard of James Dean. I bet the rights were cheap.

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

13. Bradfinger

Bradfinger Forum Resident

Yeah, that is just sad.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Indeed I did. I think they would have greatly benefitted from better writers. I think George Lucas is a great man who changed the world, particularly in the world I'm in (digital post-production for picture and sound), but story and character are not his strengths.

longdist01, Plan9 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. the pope ondine

what in gods name......

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE Thread Starter

Makes the resurrected Peter Cushing from Rogue One look like a Star Trek holodeck hologram.

SRC likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

its an abomination....if I didn't know I wouldn't of thought it was Jack lol, just some weird undead cyborg

Plan9, longdist01 and SRC like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Too dark to watch.

19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I remember watching this on TV and the scene was quite dark, possibly to obscure the implausibility of this questionable visual stunt. I couldn't find a better example of the scene on Youtube. I'll let it go at this. Will the real Jack Lord please stand up?
    [​IMG]

Plan9 likes this.
  20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I'm quite mixed about this, from a technological perspective I think it's interesting enough to have a look but it is a bit weird that you're effectively casting someone to play James Dean who is playing someone else. I think this stuff makes more sense if you are using it for characters that would otherwise require re-casting or if you need to finish off their scenes. The tech is definitely getting better year after year. For the next Indiana Jones film, they could use Harrison Ford and have him play a younger version of himself perhaps in his early 50s or something. You could even remake those Doctor Who episodes that were lost and wiped if anyone could be bothered putting up the money to make it happen.

Plan9 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

ack...go with a double or look-a-like ...that's so plastic and fake...sad times indeed!

Spaghettiows likes this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The film Tron Legacy benefits from the same live actor being used to bring Flynn into future...revitalized Flynn is more realistic...not as bad visually...but these other current projects...ack!

[​IMG]

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They almost got Jack Lord's toupee right.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  24. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

One issue which I don't see addressed that much is this:
    As a species, we have several millenia of built-in perception about what is "real" and what isn't, even when we deliberately suspend disbelief.
    It's like looking at an otherwise average person and 'knowing' immediately that something is very wrong with him/her...it's survival, going back to the caves.
    The Uncanny Valley is when you get "close to reality" and discomfort ensues. My question is, what if it's technically perfect, will it then feel human?

Is it then possible, through a continuous onslaught of films, commercials and TV shows (and apps) to actually beat down the natural instincts of humans enough for us to enjoy a performance like this in a film without even thinking about the manipulation involved? As in: even the old lizard brain says "OK, I can fully immerse myself in the acting, the character and nothing else"?

C.

Gumboo likes this.
  25. Veni Vidi Vici

Give it a few years. It will become indistinguishable unless you are an expert.

This Person Does Not Exist

BeatleJWOL and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.