'Just One More Thing'--- Favourite Columbo Episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It's not my favorite, but there's a scene where Columbo is trying to converse about yawls with Robert Vaughn and the background noise is so loud he has to practically scream. You can see Falk coming close to cracking up at the absurdity.

2. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Saw episode 6, Suitable For Framing yesterday. The face Columbo makes when he's sitting with the woman looking through her photo album for a picture of the killer with the victim and she keeps going on and on about other pictures. Hahaha! Great ending, didn't see it coming at all.

On to #7, guest starring Leslie Nielsen!

Dissidence and johnsiddique like this.
  3. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Ah what a brilliant Thread. Columbo is one of my all-time favourite shows, we're actually rewatching them right now. Watched 'Lovely but Lethal' Last night.
    Like many here I think the Patrick McGoohan ones are wonderful. Am going to have to think hard about a favourite. I'll come back to you all on this.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

But he ' s not the murderer!

5. Like the guest stars in Police Squad he gets bumped off quickly.:D

6. Wildest cat from montana

Oh ! Hang on...am I getting my episodes mixed up ? Isn't he the fiancé of the murderer?

johnsiddique likes this.
  7. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Right, but I didn't know that yet. I'd only seen the beginning credits when I posted. Not a bad one, but fairly obvious from the start how Columbo would be able to prove what happened. Not too many great Columbo moments in this one. Although kinda neat to see him and Nielsen eating at the drive in with the car trays. Again, obvious that he was going to try to leave forgetting about the tray attached to his car. Hoping for more surprises in #8.

8. No I get the episodes confused. I was referring to the episode where Nielson is a spy who gets killed by McGoohan. The Joke is that in Nielsen’s short running series ‘Police Squad’ the special guest star gets bumped off in the opening credits.

9. Fastnbulbous

It's a mystery to me that only 6 episodes of Police Squad! were ever made. Considering the success of Airplane! made by essentially the same people using the identical formula ...

longdist01 and Pete Puma like this.
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Fastnbulbous and turnersmemo like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

It is a weak episode. Did the fiancé forget what happened and then remembered about the gunshot and alarm? Makes no sense.

Cokelike- likes this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The ones with Jack Cassidy

13. Fastnbulbous

Nailed it.

The suspense in Columbo consists principally in the murderer coming to the realisation that Columbo is not an idiot.

Karnak likes this.
  14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

There's a really cool bit at the end of that article that features a gallery of people's reactions when they realize Columbo just dropped the hammer on 'em.

This one is my favorite:

[​IMG]

a customer, Jrr and Fastnbulbous like this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Gotta be the Jack Cassidy episode directed by Spielberg.

Would it be my favorite if Spielberg hadn’t directed it? Probably not. But then it wouldn’t be as good either. :)

Jrr and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

'Etude In Black ' is one of my favourites.
    John Cassavetes is excellent and Falk brings his A game.

" That's my specialty . Homicide. "

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

One of my favorite episodes. Love watching the lady melt down as Columbo is closing in on her!

18. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member

Very interesting reading through the Thread. I am a mega fan of Columbo. I serial recorded many series and have them to view when the mood takes me.

19. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member

One I enjoyed that Ive never forgotten it is Sex And The Married Detective. The plot was riveting about a woman who found out her husband was playing the field and her revenge.and what hit me most was the theme tune incidental music.

I will have to watch it again to catch the drift and who the supporting actors and actress were. Maybe some if you remember it.

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. HudsonDuster

HudsonDuster Forum Resident

The one where the murderer got away. The only time it happened in Columbo.

Dissidence likes this.
  21. Wildest cat from montana

Don' t know this episode. Which one is it?

22. Fastnbulbous

Well, there's one where Janet Leigh is guilty but she has a brain aneurysm or something and has months to live. Columbo lets her slide.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's the first one I thought of! Mine as well...

24. Wildest cat from montana

Oh yeah...that' s one of my least favourite ones. There's a couple of clunkers.

I prefer the original five seasons of the show. There are later , much inferior seasons and while I' ve seen most of them my memory of them isn't as good.
    I vaguely recall one episode in which Columbo was actually pointing a gum at someone. Columbo with a gun ! Inconceivable!

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  25. Fastnbulbous

That was "No Time To Die" about his nephew. Really, really bad for a lot of reasons. There isn't even a homicide to investigate but the perp gets blown away for the hell of it. But this isn't a "worst episode" thread so I'll leave it there...