Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That's exactly how it is. Very few attempts really "gel" and it's not Johnny's fault, he's into it and trying hard and nurturing.

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Wow really wonderful! It is not easy to find material by those musicians who were the most important Italian jazzmen since the '50s until early '70s.
    They are a kind of Italian version of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers... ;)

Talking of Italian jazz, it is interesting to take a look at this label:

Via Asiago, 10

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Berthold and Athalwolf like this.
  3. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Awesome! I own it.

Athalwolf and dennis the menace like this.
  4. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charlie Parker - Montréal, 1953 (Uptown UPCD-2736)

It`s been a while since I listened to this one. Recorded during two dates in February 1953, using local musicians including a very young Paul Bley on piano. It was recorded at Chez Paré which was a very trendy Cabaret in the fifties and has been Montréal`s most well know strippers` club since the seventies. Quick anecdote about Chez Paré. This is the place where you could meet professional sports athletes after a game and it`s also the place where a young Barry Bonds met his first wife (Susann) while she was "working" there in 1987.

[​IMG]

Berthold, Erik B., Stu02 and 5 others like this.
  5. Lonson

Three so far today, very good listening. This new OS for my DAC really took some tailoring and getting used to but I seem to have it dialed in very well and am enjoying the heck out of the sound.

First, Dexter Gordon "Gettin' Around" Blue Note Japan UHQCD
    [​IMG]

Followed by Joe Chambers, "Mirrors" Blue Note US cd
    [​IMG]

Finally, a change of pace, Bob Dylan "Self Portrait" Sony Blu-Spec CD2, disc 2
    [​IMG]

Berthold, Erik B., Oliver and 12 others like this.
  6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Most of the songs are either Johnny's or country standards, so he knows the songs, he sounds pretty strong and confident, and seems to be the leader. Dylan obviously was unprepared and sounds nervous, possibly in awe. If he was inebriated, I wouldn't be surprised. Dylan usually doesn't blend well with other singers; this time was no exception. I agree that Johnny does his best to be encouraging, sometimes he suggests writing down lyrics for Bob, or he has an idea about an arrangement, but it's no wonder that they only released "Girl from the North Country" at the time.

I get the feeling like this is mostly another Copyright Protection release, in disguise.

Stu02, AxiomAcoustics and Athalwolf like this.
  7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Kai Winding and Dino Piana with Rai (Italian Radio Television) Orchestra:

Dino Piana was born in 1930 and he's still living.

8. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

9. Lonson

Wow. Sounding very good. Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD.

[​IMG]

10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I don't want to start a discussion about which album is the best or most important in jazz history. Impossible task. We all have our points and tastes. I don't have an answer for that question too.

But let me tell you that, I look at that CD in a different way. Don't know if I should call it respect. But every time I put that one on it's like witnessing an important historical moment.

Too much reverence? Can't help it. Maybe I should play it 10000 times more so that it becomes ordinary.

11. Lonson

Bill Evans "Trio '64" material, disc 3 of the Complete Verve Recordings of Bill Evans.

[​IMG]

12. Lonson

I understand that completely. I used to sort of disdain it for being so popular, and marveled at what made it so accessible, had to be somehow less complex or "snob-worthy" because it sold so well.

Over the decades it has just seduced me. In time I realized how unique it was in ways due to its rather spontaneous nature and the elegant "teamwork" that it required. And it's just so enjoyable, sonically, emotionally, intellectually. It was a momentous occasion when these gentlemen came together to create this.

13. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Pharaoh is a beast on this album. I just love it. Also, the CD from 2015 is so much better a listen than the Anthology vinyl (licensed).

Erik B., Stu02, Ray Cole and 12 others like this.
  14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I was really impressed with the tenor playing of Fred Jackson on the Baby Face Willette Face to Face, so picked up his Blue Note leader date Hootin’ n Tootin’ which is part of the Blue Note 80 Soul Jazz Works. Other 3 players I am not familiar with but its damn good!

Edit: if anyone is on the fence about this one, dont be. This is as good a soul jazz album as I’ve heard. All his compositions too

[​IMG]

15. This is impossible. Even the critics have different opinions and we members & collectors too. You can assemble only opinions.
    Jazz is a living artform and most important moments can happen all the time at any place (studio,concert hall, club a.o. places).
    KOB is certainly a milestone but the Goodman Carnegie Hall concert or the Parker Gillespie collaborations, Tristano, Art Blakey they all have their place among important "moments of Jazz". Most important is only enjoy the music you have.
    ;-]]

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Is Paul Chambers on center or left on this SACD?

17. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Dead center. And @Lonson is right, it sounds very good.

Byrdsmaniac likes this.
  18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks! :)

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Django Reinhardt: Les 14 Derniers Inedits (Last unissued recordings). EMI Pathe France.

These are from the Italian sessions from the late 40s. Although they say processed stereo it is really quite subtle and sounds close to mono. Not sure what they did. Great tracks.

[​IMG]

20. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Shadow and light.
    Fire and grace.
    Pulled this out after seeing that it will be released "for the first time in America" on RSDBF.
    Gawd this is a killer performance. Seriously. It burns and swings and the interplay is simply amazing...within each trio and quartet breakdown. No unison playing by Miles and Sam but individually these musicians sound as though they have been a unit for years...and not. As in fresh, vibrant and interactively engaging. Sam unfortunately only gets ~12:44 of mic time (yes, I timed it, some of you will understand :rolleyes: ) but he males every second count and you can tell Tony likes his presence. Frankly,

And the sound? Man the Japanese had it figured out. Beautifully balanced, amazing timbral quality and mix from this concert hall recording. Compare this against the Berlin recording from saoon after and there's a huge difference. That one has the engineers niticeably riding gain, the cymbals are not as integrated (Jazz is a top-down drumming style more so that rock, which could be described as bottom-up, and it's easy to get too much cymbal in the mix) the kick not as dynamic and resonant, you get it. The piano and horns are realistic and there's an amazing amount of full-bodied yet articulate Carter to underpin everything, and he burns it down. And this is just the Wilder RBCD! When it came to recording of the era it was: the Japanese, Europeans and US, in that order.

While different in ways I put this up there with the Plugged Nickel recordings. Oh to have a box of these! So, what prompted this outburst of superlatives? I saw that this is being released "for the first ime in Amarica" on RSDBF and I thought it deserved a listen, which has now turned into three spins as I type and Mrs. Ax mixes up some homegrown Pumpkin bread with pecans, pumpkin seeds and cranberries. But I digress. This is being reissued by Get On Down, with whom I'm not that familiar. Seems they mostly do Rap/HipHop but they have done a few Jazz titles, like the recent RSD Herbie Hancock, which I did not get as it was sold out. I see they generally press at MRP and master at GZ so I'm not terribly excited but....any convicing most appreciated.

Did I mention how great this sounds?

[​IMG]

(The above text has not been proofed for spelling, gramattical or syntax errors. The author accepts no responsibility for it's content.)

21. AxiomAcoustics

Yes, the very same! It's a reference to the Dexter Gordon live 1973 release on Elemental.

22. AxiomAcoustics

Not with Motian on the
    rattle
    bomp
    ting!
    :D

23. AxiomAcoustics

In a good way or a bad way?

24. AxiomAcoustics