New Series - Dark - on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dgstrat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Crabcakez

Crabcakez Well-Known Member

Trust me... at least make it to episode 5. You get used tot he dubbing after a while.

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I wouldn't watch it with the dubbing. I always prefer the original language (plus, occasionally I understand a few words/phrases in German, French, Spanish, or Japanese). But, I'll try to stick with it for a few more episodes. Thanks.

3. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I didn't care for the English dubbing at all; the German audio with English subtitles worked great for me. I tend to watch a lot on Netflix with subtitles on anyway.

Linger63 likes this.
  4. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

It must be the original audio for me, subtitles are fine. I am delaying watching the 2nd season as I forgot about the character relationships...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    zombiemodernist likes this.
  5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm surprised there is so little interest here, we are still in the first season and I can't think of any other show as captivating as this one is. I wonder if people just think it's a ghost movie because of the title and pass it by? We don't watch a lot of TV at a time so other shows like Goliath are languishing because we'd rather watch this. It's also better in the way they portray teenagers and kids than most TV in the USA, not nearly as stupid and annoying. Usually a show with that much focus on teenagers sounds an immediate death knell to any interest I might have.

friend74, Martinn and wolfram like this.
  6. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Agree, but as far as little interest, it doesn't surprise me too much. It's a German show on one specific streaming service, and it's a relatively challenging show that basically gets little to no promotion anywhere. I am very glad I stumbled upon it. There is so much content available today, it is unfortunate perhaps but not surprising to me that there is some great alternative stuff available that few people know about.

friend74 and unclefred like this.
  7. unclefred

When I stumbled upon it I thought it was probably a Scooby Do film, kids and ghosts. But it was maybe this thread that led me to watch it. :thumbsup:

SRC likes this.
  8. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

When I started S1 I could not stop... but when my son told me S2 is and I started... 15min I realized I need a complete refresh on all the characters... still have not done that...

9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

It will repay the effort.

friend74 and Martinn like this.
  10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I made it through the 5th episode a few weeks ago, and realized it just wasn't keeping my interest enough to continue.

I liked the moody cinematography (especially outdoor scenes around the forest), and the "music" (in quotes because it's so minimalistic, it's almost like sound effects).

But, the story isn't that compelling to me, and the characters don't inspire my empathy.

I'm glad others are enjoying it.

unclefred likes this.
  11. unclefred

We just watched the final episode of season one. This story just keeps expanding and there was a hint that it's going up a level in season two. it's gotten more compelling as it goes along.

friend74 and Old Mac like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree, I'm very curious to see where it's gonna go. They are doing a 3rd season, so we'll see what happens.

Stop me if I said this already, but I got partway through Season 1 and said, "well, the only way this storyline can work is if time-travel and multiple realities are involved," and boom...

I half-expect Mr. Robot to walk in and say, "hey, anybody need a hand with their computers?"

friend74 likes this.
  13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Halfway through season 2. Still liking it a lot but cracks appearing. More and more piling on while losing site of previous plot points or focus on certain characters. The death of one character or the weird decades long passivity of didn't really have much gravity. Feeling like Lost.I hope it doesn't go completely up its own butt like that did. And I still have to pause and ask the wife "so wait, who is this again?"

All in all a thumbs up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  14. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

IMO this is the best Netflix original as it really does feel "original" to most network content, there's no way a show this dense with plot would get past a pilot on air. I think 3 seasons is the exact right amount, any more and the show may spiral out of control. Currently I think the show sticks so close to its themes and characters that it never gets buried in the twists and turns of the story.

As others have said, it's a really beautiful show as well, some really stunning and evocative cinematography that looks amazing in 4K HDR. And the casting for the kids and adult versions of the main characters is some of the best I've ever seen.

JackBnimble and unclefred like this.
  15. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

S3 here by end of the month! I can't wait. I enjoyed this series more than many others on Netflix, I'm just hoping they don't take it to extremes and spoil it after the s2 ending.

Just realised when I re watched the intro to s1 ep1, spoilers are right there with the pictures of the characters and the links between them.

Original German with subs for me - I find I get more drawn in as having to keep focused on it reading the subs for any foreign language film/series

JackBnimble and unclefred like this.
  16. unclefred

I'm ready for this, it was unexpectedly mahvelous.

Cokelike- likes this.
  17. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Can't wait. I'm ready, too!

Cokelike- likes this.
  18. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

Looking forward to Season 3. This show confused the hell out of me....but in a good way. I had to have printed sheets of timelines and pictures of different characters in different times to refer to during the first two seasons.:)

19. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

unclefred, scottabs and Wild Frank like this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I am 5 episodes into season 1 and I’m hooked. It’s impossible to watch this show passively (especially as a non-German speaker). Every scene requires strict attention, which works for me. Proud of myself that I knew who Dad from the beginning of episode 1 was before it was revealed at the end of episode 5. :)

And I’m definitely a watch-in-original-language guy. The 10 words of German my father taught me come in handy now and then.

unclefred likes this.
  21. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Bumping this, series 3 out today. I won't check back in here till I'm finished as don't want any spoilers :)

JackBnimble, DigMyGroove and RayS like this.
  22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

:eek: There goes the weekend!

Cokelike- and Old Mac like this.
  23. RayS

I just watched S3E1 - it does not disappoint!

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My wife is watching that one; it puts me to sleep. But we're also watching post-apocalyptic danish series ¨The Rain¨, which is fascinating (to us)

25. RayS