Qobuz music streaming discussion and news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jul 12, 2018.

1. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

That is what I did, and my point is that I didn’t want to quit but change plans, and this could not be done.

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Yeah, understood. I'm really responding to those who sign up for the trial and complain when their CC is charged to continue the subscription, when that's the terms of service they agreed to when signing up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    NYMets41 and sharedon like this.
  3. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Can anyone who has been with Qobuz for a while explain why they don't sell 24/192 hi-res of titles that are available everywhere else? I'm on Qobuz U.S. and I'm looking for Eagles and Van Halen titles but they only offer them in 24/96.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The only conclusion I could come up with is that they check these. No info over 48, keep at 96. Saves on server storage.
    Just a guess.

5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I know there's some question with the 24/192 Eagles titles but the Van Halen 24/192's have been proven to be legit and are far superior with different mastering the the 24/96's. Oh well, Qobuz has a good sale going on but the selection is lacking a bit.

NYMets41 and c-eling like this.
  6. c-eling

They may be using the Rhino 2013 that contains the full dynamics (part of the box set)

7. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Not all high-res releases are on Qobuz, but many are. They do offer 24/192 when the artist provides that resolution to Qobuz. Obviously, we'll never get high-res releases of albums recorded at 16/44.1...but the CD quality versions Qobuz provides are stellar. And in cases where the artist has remastered their catalog in 24/192, the results are usually stunning.
    There are a couple things about Qobuz I've noticed...
    Because of my phone plan, it's difficult to stream at 24/192 or 24/96 while driving. Having said that, I typically download what I plan to listen to for the day, and then I can enjoy uninterrupted listening in the car. Problem solved. It's just a tad on the pricey side. $20 per month would be a sweeter price for the Studio Masters subscription ;)
    We can't be quick to blame Qobuz for certain things at this point, such as what is and is not available...in many cases such decisions are governed by record companies and artists & their managers. For example, the Neil Young music available on Qobuz is 24/96 (or CD Quality, in some cases; others, 24/44.1). I don't listen to them on Qobuz, I just get the full experience with the NYA app.
    But for only being a few months into their U.S. launch, I'd say they're kicking butt. My experience with them has been a joy compared to my past experience with Tidal. The SQ is just what I wanted from a streaming service, and I'm looking forward to high-res streaming to inspire many more record companies and artists to transfer their analog masters directly to 24/192 as it gains popularity.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

It is often Warner/Rhino releases that they only have in 24/96, which is very frustrating if you are a Sublime subscriber

9. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

That's true (applies to Studio sub too!). It's more likely for them to not have available-elsewhere 24/192 of WB titles than to actually have it. I wonder if they don't really believe in 24/192. We should ask them.

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I guess it's time to go back through this whole thread...I've been subbed to Tidal, Apple Music, and Qobuz (forgot I had not cancelled the trial!) for several months now and I really need to make a decision on the keepers.

Apple is going to stick around since it is far more thorough than the other two and is just sooo easy on the go. I should add that it is actually amazing how good the majority of music from Apple sounds at 256AAC.

I've been pretty happy with Tidal for a long time and the integration with Roon is truly excellent, but I have always been kind of aggravated that it does truly try to ram it's version of curation down my throat. It seems that every search runs to Jay-Z and Beyonce and their genre (not sure what it's called these days). Shame, because behind the scenes the curation is actually excellent and while I am not always a playlist kind of guy, the ones that Tidal builds and serves up to me are the best of any service I have used. Uncannily finds things that I am either not familiar with at all, or only vaguely, yet fit my preferences really well.

I really love that Qobuz seems for favor a much broader spectrum of music on the front page and I have discovered more new music at the album level there. I also find that overall the HiRes delivered by Qobuz sounds better via Roon than the MQA from Tidal. Roon is my primary delivery system at home so this is certainly a factor. Playlists from Qobuz are good, there are just not many there to go through in any particular genre. I am noticing that brown has gotten easier, as when they fist rolled out this year, the selections shown were pretty shallow.

I don't really add a lot of stuff to my collection, so I guess it's simplest to just drop Tidal for awhile a see the impact. It's month to month so no big loss. If I go with Qobuz, I will do the yearly to get the discounts on the download store which looks like the best option since the Pono Store shut down.

Curious as to other's findings.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

1. [​IMG]
      cdgenarianForum Resident

Qobuz playlist question...
      Is there a way to simultaneously (more or less) delete all playlist items (songs) without deleting the playlist itself? IOW, I want to delete all songs so that I only have an empty playlist left (but I don't want to have to delete the songs one at a time). Thanks!
      Answering my own question...;)

No, there is not a "one click" method to delete a group of songs (or all songs) from a playlist. However, the Windows 10 workaround in Qobuz is the following:

1. In the playlist, click in the space around the first song you want to delete.
      2. Scroll down with the ARROW KEY, not the mouse, as this will deactivate the initial song selection.
      3. Click in the space around the last song you want to delete.
      4. All tracks between the first song selected and the last song selected, inclusive, are now selected.
      5. Right click on the selected song group. Select "Remove from playlist."
      6. Affirm that you want to remove 5 or 21 (or however many) songs from the playlist.
      7. The selected songs are deleted. If you have selected all tracks in the playlist, the playlist is now empty.
      Thanks to Sebastian at Qobuz...:tiphat:

Friday at 1:00 PMReport
      Like+ QuoteReply

12. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Kind of in the same boat. I use Tidal and Roon and Spotify. Won't touch Apple Music ever again after it ruined my iTunes library twice now. The whole thing is too buggy, esp now since Catalina was released. I did the QB trial but cancelled as their catalog is just too slim. They sounded the best and I thought by now I would be back and able to dump Tidal but seems QB still has slim pickens and their playlists are not very good. Spotify still has the most amazing playlists and mixes, too bad their sound quality is so awful. Guess I just answered my own question lol. Stick with Tidal and Roon and Spot for now.

BayouTiger likes this.
  13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I've noticed some good additions to OB lately, e.g., Purple Mountains... a bit more Zombies, Procol Harum than they had before. But still less music for my purposes than Spotify, which alas doesn't sound as good to me.

btltez likes this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Again, I like the sound of QB better than Tidal, and the UI, but without an extensive catalog what good is either? Until I can almost match my eclectic Tidal library in QB, it's a no go for me. If it's taking them this long to build their catalog in the US, seems like they won't be around for long.

16. I've wasted accumulative hours obfuscating the information they throw at me to get to what I want - the library.
    Though it is necessary that they offer a service, it's only ever the library I want.
    Their recommendations are only ever for things I already know.
    They extrapolate for music I don't need from their service because I've been collecting for 25 years. It gets in the way.
    I'm almost tempted to use the new Block feature, for my favourite artists, because I'm trying to find something new.
    I would prefer to run it through my own software as well. Though the Tidal software does decode well (and reminds me of the power limitations of my system).
    Tidal in Serato is great. But that's a luxury, a treat, for me a non-DJ.

Oh, and this is a Quboz thread - Quboz is not available in my region without a VPN.
    Which is a darn shame.

Though I've heard that it's great. With my ears.

psuKinger likes this.
  17. BayouTiger

It seems that the catalog is constantly filling in. At this point I rarely run across much (that I care about) that does not show both Tidal and Qobuz availability. Of course neither has the depth that Apple has (haven't used Spotify in years but I think they and Apple are pretty close these days).

btltez likes this.
  18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Hmmm. That's good to know. Wish I could try a QB trial again. Suppose I could with a different email.

19. BayouTiger

That's why Gmail allows + addresses! :cool::cool::cool:

btltez likes this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Sorry if this has answered before, I could not find anything.

Has anyone purchased a download from Qobuz? If I purchase something, can I transfer it to my library on my server or is it only accessible through Qobuz?

21. c-eling

They've been selling DL's for years.
    Do with it what you want :)
    Nice thing about using them, they will let you re-download it, in multiple formats etc...

5-String and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. Stereosound

23. Josquin des Prez

24. Stereosound

Perhaps at least they are responding quicker than the others. And they play the proper versions of songs within albums of which Amazon has screwed up on. Now if Qobuz can continue on improving it’s catalog Tidal will have to do something next.

psuKinger, Tuco, Galley and 1 other person like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I've been a Qobuz subscriber since winter this year when it became generally available. I mostly listen to jazz and classical and the catalog has been fine. I canceled TIDAL a month after I started Qobuz. I'm happy to pay $10/mon less now. If TIDAL would do non-proprietary hirez content I would be tempted to have it too.

Now I'm waiting to see if Amazon HD gets Roon integration.