The Rolling Stones - Big Hits And Through The Past, Darkly SHM-CDs (10/30)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by granola, Sep 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

But not always Bill....

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

No, not in the mono box but all of the mono cuts are found there. 19th Nervous Breakdown is a new mix in the mono box. Through The Past Darkly has almost all tracks in stereo so the only duplicate there is " You Better Move On" which is mono on both releases.
    So I would say no to whether you "need" them unless you like the cool covers and artwork like I do.

3. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

So this 'new' release of Through the Past, Darkly is in an octagon sleeve? The description seems to imply it is, I think, but does anyone know if that's confirmed?

4. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It’s been confirmed it’s the octagon and I would imagine it will be down to the last detail going from past releases in Japan.

I just bought four of the new greatest hits compilations on SHM and there really nice sets, sleeves inserts etc, think I’m going to go with these two as well to go with them.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I've just pre-ordered both myself. Be nice to have them, certainly should be an upgrade in sound from the old CD versions. If they're as good as the recent RSD releases I for one will be really pleased...

PhantomStranger and Carl80 like this.
  6. When In Rome

Amazon tell me they will be delivered today. No dispatch notifications and no cash moved from my account. The listing now says available in 1 to 2 months. Not feeling very hopeful... :shake:

7. When In Rome

Cancelled my Amazon order and got them much cheaper through good ol' eBay and no more than a week later...
    Ta-Dah! Here they are in all their glory!
    [​IMG]
    I shall give them a listen later, though admittedly my equipment is not exactly audiophile by a long stretch, it's just I'd feel rude not to offer any kind of reviews...

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I've ordered copies simply cos the fit nicely in with the mono box as a home of the UK albums I grew up on on cd and as I've said in the vinyl thread High Tide Union Flag edition IS art coverwise.

9. When In Rome

These babies are well put together, a CD joy to behold! A lot of detail is put in and they are worth every penny in my book before you even play the things! The sound on these is really good to my lugs but that as ever is subjective, I would say not a million miles away from the recent 'Record Store Day' vinyl editions. As my learned friend suggest above, they can be shoehorned into the mono box with a little persuasion! All in all, I'm really pleased with these purchases. :righton:

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The Octagon sleeve even has the cut out on the back it’s replicated in that much detail.

btltez and When In Rome like this.
  11. When In Rome

Exatly! Now that is dedication to the cause! :righton:

Carl80 likes this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Took the singles box out of my Rolling Stones in the '60s paper sleeve collection and added these two new ones , the 1999 Virgin mini LP (with zipper ) and the Spanish version of Sticky Fingers. They all fit in quite nicely.

When In Rome and Carl80 like this.
  13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Reminds me of Fry's Ronco record vault.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

They have both arrived at chez torch. They look lovely. I assume sound wise all the Abkco stuff is based on the old 2002 remastering or whatever remastering was done for the 2016 mono box. Is that correct? I know there are some errors on the Abkco stuff done in 2002 and maybe recently but overall the Stones on cd (or on digital high resolution) for the pre Rolling Stones Records material is pretty good in my opinion.

When In Rome likes this.
  16. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Would these two fit inside the Japan Mono box?

17. When In Rome

I would concur with that statement. They sound great to me. I have the old Japanese 1989 versions (Electronically Reprocessed Stereo on Big Hits!!) so these really are an upgrade to me!

Flaming Torch likes this.
  18. When In Rome

With a little gentle persuasion they just about fit into the standard EU (?) Mono box, not sure of the Japan Mono Box's dimensions, so I wouldn't like to say...

19. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

They would be a lot smaller in the Japan Mono box, Japan Mono are 7inch sleeves and these are Mini LP’s.

dsdu likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'd be interested in more opinions on the sound quality and if these were newly remastered.

21. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Has this "Big Hits" release a mix of mono and stereo songs or is this sentence true: "Cardboard sleeve reissue release from The Rolling Stones features SHM-CD format and 2019 remastering (mono)".

22. When In Rome

All mono, no stereo - just like the original 1966 UK vinyl offering and the recent 2019 RSD Vinyl release.

John22 likes this.
  23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Well the singles box will have to go else where,to fit in the box

24. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Mono on the first one, Stereo on second The Obi on Big Hits says Stereo and has the London label,But the cd has all Mono,and for the first time on Papersleeve cd the Decca Logo on the cd and back

John22 likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

In fact, five gets you ten it's the same source as the RSD pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.