U2's Songs of Innocence....Five Year Later

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by americanscientist, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Just gave the album a fresh listen. For my money, “Sleep Like a Baby Tonight” is the clear standout track. My favorite by far.

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Interesting take.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  3. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I Love U2, but they have been a massive frustration since Atomic bomb ..seem to spend way too long over thinking things and trying to stay hip or relevant or whatever .. they’ve lost the plot when it comes to making records ...

NunoBento and Odysseus like this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

That is probably the most Zooropa-esque song they have done sine Zooropa in my opinion, it is a cool tune.

That and "Volcano" are my two favorites, with Volcano I like it more than the "sequel" song that borrow its riff in "American Soul" and the great Fly-vocal effect on Bono's voice during the verses really elevate it

Sammy Banderas, longdist01 and enro99 like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Try this!

Love Is All We Have Left
    Lights of Home (Beck Remix)
    You're The Best Thing About Me (acoustic)
    Summer of Love
    Red Flag Day
    The Little Things That Give You Away
    Landlady
    Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way (HP Hoeger Rusty Egan Chill Mix)
    Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)
    Invisible
    Iris
    Cedarwood Road
    Song For Someone
    Raised By Wolves
    California
    Sleep Like A Baby
    The Troubles
    Ordinary Love
    Book of Your Heart
    Lights of Home (St Peters String Version)
    The Crystal Ballroom
    13 (There Is A Light)

My teenage son does not endorse this playlist that omits Volcano, The Blackout, American Soul,
    Get Out of Your Own Way!

NunoBento and morgan1098 like this.
  6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Yes. I wish they’d return to the Zooropa vibe. I suspect they don’t have the guts anymore.

7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Way more concerned about commerce more than art now, and they are not risk takers they were in 90s.

NunoBento, CrombyMouse and longdist01 like this.
  8. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

I would say that's been the case since Pop. They were making edits and changes with that album right up to the point of submitting it to the label back in 1997. U2 has never really recovered from Pop's popping with the public either commercially or artistically.

Gavaxeman and NunoBento like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I would argue it runs even deeper than that - they didn't react well to bashing of Rattle and Hum either. This caused them to seriously overreact to Pop/Popmart criticisms.

gregorya and Odysseus like this.
  10. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

I'm totally going to program this when I get home. Nice!

Someone earlier asked about the fan club CDs for this year. I have them and they sound great. I'm thrilled they returned to a CD gift rather than vinyl, which really limits the number of tracks they can offer.

Anyway, as for the CD set this year--
    The pros:
    • It's great having a set of live material exclusively from the last two albums, rather than hearing the old concert war horses like Pride and New Year's Day all over again.
    • The track list on each disc doesn't exactly mirror that of the respective albums, but Disc 1 is SOI and related material (like Invisible and Crystal Ballroom) and Disc 2 is all SOE material.
    The cons:
    • Like the recent Simple Minds live release, most of the tracks fade in and fade out rather than being mixed together. This messes up the flow. Sure, the were all recorded at different locations and different concerts, but on past live fan club releases they have cross faded the audio so that it sounds like you're listening to a single performance.
    • More than other recent live releases, the "pre-recorded sounds" really stand out on this release. You hear vocals by Lykke Li, Kendrick Lamar, and Lady Gaga, but of course they're pre-recorded samples. You hear a string section on "Lights of Home" that is pre-recorded. True, this has been happening for years, back to Bono's "duet" with Lou Reed during Zoo TV. And I know many of the pre-recorded sounds are triggered live below the stage by keyboard player Terry Lawless. Even so, the music sounds a bit too glossy and artificial for this live release.

NunoBento, PDK and JeffMo like this.
  11. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

I had checked out on U2 as a live band after the disaster that was the first leg of the Pop Mart tour.. The Memphis gig was especially horrible with the band being under rehearsed, Bono's voice being shot despite it only being a few shows into the tour and a setlist that at times seemed like they were phoning it in..

Having said all that, this fan made "show" comprised of various shows from 360 proves that they did redeem themselves ..

longdist01 likes this.
  12. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

they care too much about what other people think
    They are not artists anymore......they are businessmen

that said I quite like Volcano and Every Breaking Wave and Song For Someone
    but that opener...…….Joey Ramone thingy...……..bleck!! worst song they ever wrote!!

13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

To the contrary I'd say they never recovered from "Beautiful Day" being such a big hit. They can't stop craving that same success.

ARK likes this.
  14. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Good point, but at least they bounced back from the Rattle and Hum criticisms with Achtung Baby and later Zooropa.

Gavaxeman, NunoBento, via_atx and 2 others like this.
  15. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

No Line is THE song on No Line

Straightforward no BS rocker than you (I) wanna turn up to 11 every time it comes on.

16. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Every five years, we start hearing about some daring new direction they’re working on. It never happens.

ausgraeme, Odysseus and via_atx like this.
  17. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

Ummm...their very next album they were achieving their most artistic/commercial success with the public and have probably been chasing that ever since.

twicks likes this.
  18. mjb

mjb Senior Member

I believe it's separately tracked on the Japanese CD version of the Deluxe Edition... in addition, you get the 12" mix of "The Crystal Ballroom" as a bonus track.

morgan1098 likes this.
  19. mjb

mjb Senior Member

The main version is more consistent with the rest of the album, but Version 2 takes things even further in your preferred direction.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Oh please... All That You Can't Leave Behind was a super overhyped 'back to basics' approach that has maybe four good songs on it.

"Beautiful Day" is probably the most pedestrian U2 song ever and was more than likely only a 'hit' because it was a song by U2 than by itself being an actual good song.

DrZhivago and NunoBento like this.
  21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I'm surprised at the lack of love generally in this thread.

I see the recent output as a focus on the craft of songwriting and concise melody. I just think their ambitions musically have changed (actually evolved). There's no sellout. More like not looking back (which says artist to me) but they are still looking to satisfy themselves as musicians/songwriters.

I mean...they know at this point albums don't sell but they still do them. Certainly after the last 3 albums they are not so megalomaniacal that they believe themselves so special that their sole reason for entering the studio is to merely con the music consumers into finally buying their albums when no one buys albums anymore generally. We know it,,,do we think they moved into Neverland Ranch and are disconnected from reality?

Many opinions here see them desperately trying to be contemporary. ...ummmm They are not succeeding at that. They are not contemporary. Based on their past success I would guess they are not been dumb. Certainly smarter than most. I don't believe they are investing money into faith that they (as GODS) will change the ever lessened attention spans in our modern culture into album consumers again.

The Unforgettable Fire is my favorite U2 album but the beauty for me is the naivete in that they had little idea of how to skillfully craft songs while expressing undeniable passion. But then PRIDE on that album shows a desire to do exactly that. They did it well but very rudimentarily. Their music theory palette was limited.

Someone mentioned MAGNIFICENT as a flat out U2 song of old. It definitely harkens back but there are some very unique qualities to it. It's a disco beat inarguably. The major to minor shift of the last B chord of the main progression too is very un U2. I can remember when U2 avoided the 3rd of chords that differentiates a major and minor chord.

I'm not defending U2, but to say they are phoning it in without musical ambitions is something I cannot agree with.

It would be nice to hear the abandon of some of the early work but there is a reason you don't hear remakes of BTBS. Why most of those early songs cannot stand up to the standards. It only works in the context of their bombastic delivery. Not a crafty piece of music by any standard. Totally passion and drama driven...ands that is what SOLD it to us. Doesn't work as a piano piece, orchestra or muzak.

My generation was sold on U2 evolving, surprising, and being sincere in their ambitions. I still think they are...but they're like 60. Goals change. Doesn't mean they sold out. Sold out to who or what?

Conservatively their next 3 generations of kids are secure. They haven't a worry in the world. I think they want to do great things and if they lost the desire they would stop. They could just do the Stones thing and cash in.

Anyway...have a good night.

Twilight, Jimmy Mac and acetboy like this.
  22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

U2 needs to stop reading the music press and get themselves into a studio after making a solid promise to each other to make an album in 12 months.

If that doesn't work out, repeat.

;)

ARK and via_atx like this.
  23. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

forget the bad press that surrounded this release from day 1. they (band) clearly made a mistake by going with the Apple gimmick which overshadowed the content.

to me, it's their best album since Achtung, period. if you passed on this due to all the nonsense then...do yourself a favor & have a listen.

Experience set isn't as good but still solid enough to form a wonderful double companion with Innocence set.

acetboy and Panama Jack like this.
  24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

By this logic "Discotheque" should have been their biggest single ever.

"Beautiful Day" isn't my favorite but it was very commercial and captured a sentiment people could get behind. I think they've been chasing that buzz and second-guessing their artistic impulses ever since.

Gavaxeman and via_atx like this.
  25. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.