Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I'm not interested in it at all, in no way will it be able to bear comparison with Kubricks film. But, my wife said she wants to go so I guess we will.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Popcorn movie in comparison with Kubrick‘s classic.

unclefred likes this.
  3. APH

APH Forum Resident

Reduced to one scene. I would like a director's cut with more, Bruce Greenwood really got shortchanged.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Nope. Not released until Friday in the USA (some early screenings Thursday night.)

I don't know when I will see this. Probably next week because this Friday I am seeing Midway with Family. I got outvoted on which movie to see first. I have a feeling I will be seeing Doctor Sleep by myself because one person in family hated The Shining and another never saw The Shining and has no interest in seeing Doctor Sleep.

unclefred likes this.
  5. neo123

Quoting myself here. I did get to see this today. The matinee showings for Midway didn't work out for everyone, so we decided to see Doctor Sleep since the matinee showing worked for everyone. I went with 3 other people and I really liked it and 2 others liked it somewhat (the one who hated The Shining and the one who never saw the Shining.) The 3rd person didn't stick around and left in the first 2 or 3 minutes because he thought he was going to see Midway and had no desire to see Doctor Sleep. No one told him we switched our plans. I bought the tickets for the whole family and I assumed one of the others told him (he came by himself to meet us.)

Anyway, I really liked the story and thought it was a nice "sequel" to The Shining with many throwbacks/homages/flashbacks to it. Only one thing I didn't like....
    I understand that it was probably best for Danny to die at the end, but that doesn't mean I wish he did.

I thought Ewan McGregor did a great job in the role and I thought the actress who played main antagonist lady, Rose the Hat, was really good too. The actor who played Danny's friend (who has been in recent films, such as Hobbs & Shaw) also did a good job.

The story kept my interest the whole time and I didn't even have to look at my watch. The 2 1/2 hours flew by, for me. There was nothing really scary in the film, but there was a scene that probably could've been a jump scare (a throwback to The Shining) if they had executed it the way the movie IT Chapter 2 executed it.

Also, there are lots of Easter Eggs and familiar faces in this movie, some that I did catch, but many I missed:

Surprised there wasn't a cameo with Stephen King in this movie since he just did one in IT Chapter 2 and has done quite a few over the years in many of his film and TV adaptations.

6. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Loved the original book The Shining, was underwhelmed by the Kubrick film, the miniseries & this book sequel, (to different degrees & for different reasons), so I'll be giving this one a pass.

7. Actually the film is excellent and I feel I’m proves on the book streamlining the narrative and making it work better dramatically. The director proves that he, along with Rob Reiner, Frank Darabont are among the best (Depalma for Carrie and Cronenberg for The Dead Zone as well) at translating King’s Books to the screen.

cartoonist likes this.
  8. I think they did a fine job.

neo123 likes this.
  9. I really enjoyed the film and felt it improved on the book Doctor Sleep. It was an incredibly good sequel that works well as both a sequel t0 Kubrick’s film and King’s Novel.

cartoonist and neo123 like this.
  10. He’s actually wrong. While there are some visual call backs using newly shot footage, there’s no footage pulled directly from Kubrick’s film.its so good and so close that it’s tough to tell if you don’t pay close attention. The shots to Wendy cringing by the door for example as Jack bashes through it with the ax features the actress from this film playing the mom not Shelly Duvall.

neo123 likes this.
  11. neo123

Did he actually say that in that video I posted? I didn't notice he said that. But, yeah, all footage is newly shot.

wayneklein likes this.
  12. He did as they showed footage from The Shining unless I misunderstood him. Now the shots are set up identical to the original shots Kubrick did but I think he thinks some of it may be from The Shining because the shots look so convincing.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    neo123 likes this.
  13. Bluesman Mark

Considering my dislike for both Kubrick's film & King's sequel novel, why on earth would I go see a movie based in part on both?

14. It’s not based on Kubrick’s film but references it because that’s the most popular version of the movie as to your second quesrion because it’s a damn good movie. I didn’t care for the Doctor Sleep novel either but thought I would take a risk based on the other films the director has made (Gerald’s Game), Oculus and The Hainting of Hill House TV movie. It’s up to you but, hey, I was open minded and tried it and it didn’t disappoint.

If you can’t get past that, I guess it’s up to you. It isn’t either one of those but does a great job of improving on the book.

Plus it’s not a Marvel movie.

15. Bluesman Mark

Nothing the director has done is familiar to me, so there's still no incentive for me to see it. I did read Gerald's Game when it was published & hated it, (& I will say that Doctor Sleep was a better book), & of course I've read The Haunting Of Hill House & seen the original film by Robert Wise based on it. Don't watch TV or have Netflix so I have no frame of reference there as to the TV series. And just because it's not a Marvel movie doesn't give it an automatic appeal for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, again I think I'll pass.

16. alexpop

But what about the Jack Nicholson look alike ?

17. The Marvel movie comment was a joke.

18. Henry Thomas did a very nice job playing the role just doing enough to recall Nicholson but Lao make his performance memorable enough so that you don’t necessarily have to have seen the film to appreciate it.

19. Bluesman Mark

My comment regarding that wasn't however.... :D :laugh: :biglaugh:

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The director said they did use a couple of shots from The Shining that were too hard to reproduce accurately — one was the blood coming out of the elevators.

neo123 likes this.
  21. alexpop

Thomas ..took me out of the movie to much SNL.
    Didn’t like the use of flashbacks myself. Guess the film was fine as a fantasy story, but horror..no.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  22. alexpop

Don’t like Rebecca Ferguson, but she was better than I expected. Noticed Ewan McGregor had his Big Fish accent.

23. I thought he was fine. There was no way that JN was going to reprise the role. I mean at first the actor playing Dick Halloran or the actress playing Wendy (Alex Essie) did the same thing to me but I got used to it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.