Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Flashbacks cheepened the original. Kubrick fans will be in a fury over this.

MRamble likes this.
  2. ~
    I’m a huge Kubrick fan and I’m not. I can’t see how it cheapened the original at all.

ssmith3046 and googlymoogly like this.
  3. alexpop

Ironically I preferred King‘s novel over SK film when it was released. I usually prefer the novel anyway. But jumpcut new appreciation The Shining by Kubrick is a classic. Doctor Sleep? No! Flashbacks( original footage)JN lookalike...spoil it.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it tonight and really loved it.

Never read the book.

Very crowded also.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

SK Vs. SK

MikeInFla likes this.
  6. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I don't go to the theater very often anymore, but I'm really excited for this film. I read the novel in hardcover in the week that it was released. I've been a huge Stephen King fan since I was in high school. I've read most of his books except for the rare ones that were hard to find. I don't have a kindle. I still buy books in their physical form.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was very impressed with Rebecca Ferguson as Rose The Hat. I had to look up her career as I wasn’t sure if I had seen her before, turns out she is Swedish. Movie would have really suffered without her. Also impressed with young Abra played by Kyliegh Curran.
    I’m a big fan of Kubrick’s The Shining (just saw it on the big screen last month at a Fanthom event) and while this one wasn’t as good, it was a good time at the movies.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

It's a terrific device of film-making that the likes of Hitchcock, De Palma and Lynch have utilized. Heighten the stress/emotional level of the audience, then introduce a sudden twist or a shocking switcheroo to the scene. Awe and horror will fuel each other on a neurological level.

9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Didn't realize this was a sequel. Hmmm ...

10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The book was great - really looking forward to the movie.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Haven't seen it, yet. Plan to but seeing today at 1:30PM all showings up to and including 4:30PM are sold out, so I'm not going to be able to see it today.

One thing I don't like from seeing the trailer is the crappy "Teal & Orange" color grading. STOP IT HOLLYWOOD! I MEAN IT! IT'S TOO DISTRACTING!

Kubrick didn't use it! There's your sign!

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Huge fan or the original film and book, but my interest in King as a writer has dropped substantially in the last 20 years and I never read the book. Starts out great but it goes off the rails at the end with the fan service.

I know they had to incorporate the Overlook because that’s what people expected, but I found it hard to believe that it’s been sitting there for almost 40 years untouched except for some water damage.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Apparently this is bombing.

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw it yesterday and quite enjoyed it. I never read the book, and had no idea where it was going to go storywise.

neo123 likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's in the middle of nowhere, so it's not like they were going to knock it down to create a parking lot. But it was difficult to believe that the hedge maze hadn't turned entirely wild.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don’t think they were ever actually in the hedge maze — we only saw a simulation of it inside either Danny’s or Abra’s mind (I’ve already forgotten which).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Yes and no. It hasn't done well at the box office, but Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% on the Tomatometer and it's garnered a 90% audience score.

18. alexpop

Its pretty good, but it’s no classic 7/10.
    The Shining 10/10.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

True but it would be a very attractive target for hikers during the summer. It would have been more realistic for it to be in ruins, but then they couldn’t have had it take place in the well-known Kubrick sets. Maybe if they’d had those parts take place in Danny’s mind it would have worked better.

Still, I really enjoyed the film up to the last 1/2 hour.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Just saw it here in the Philippines. Only cost about $6 USD after currency conversion.
    I have read both the Shining and Dr. Sleep, liking the latter book much more than the former. I read the Shining in the 1970s and it didn’t grab me like Salem’s Lot or The Stand.
    I enjoyed the movie but felt the second half faltered by leaving the book’s storyline in an attempt to integrate The Shining motif. The book is a sequel but doesn’t rely on the Overlook as a major plot device at all since it doesn’t exist anymore. Dr. Sleep the novel had a much better climax and ending.

Now if you haven’t read Dr. Sleep you may find the movie more enjoyable than I did.
    I still liked it but the novel is much stronger than this sort of schizophrenic movie adaptation.

21. alexpop

Ewan McGregor wasn’t great in it I thought.

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I really liked the book, but I'm not really a fan of the Kubrick movie, some stunning set pieces notwithstanding.

Thanks for the reviews everyone, this is a pass for me.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So Marty will like it? :D

wayneklein and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

They knocked the remains down and maid a campground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.