The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No show that night. You mean 11-28-80 maybe?

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

If only the Dead had played more concerts. Only what? 2,754,070?

US Blues, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I've never tagged anything or treated it any differently on the flac player than on the computer with the exception of the space limitation on the cards which I add and subtract from often as well as keep a collection of cards in a card case. When the 1tb (or even 2tb which are out now) cards come down to around $50 the game will change.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

No, 11-30...I guess because it I Dave #8 I got 8 in my head.

I haven't done that in a little while...but crap, I got a rep to maintain...

Crispy Rob, uzn007, KCWhistle and 3 others like this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Don't worry.Your rep for crap will never be diminished.

6. bzfgt

7. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

8. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Slightly Spinal Tap-ish as it may be, I'd group the eras by Pig, Keith (starting with his first show despite the overlap), Brent, and Bruce/Vince.

I'd bet anytime you're not sure, you'd at least know which of those you felt like.

bzfgt likes this.
  9. bzfgt

Great idea! Although I rarely know what I feel like, which is another reason why I'm gravitating toward more tags...I do better with a listening regimen, and if I know what's next, the more tags, the better.

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It worked much better live, when they really nailed that repeated riff the energy in the building would build and build until the walls started puffing out and rivets were blowing out along the seam lines. When they came to the resolution everything would explode and melt into gentle, sparking light. That doesn't work on tape: SBD, AUD, Matrix- nothing captures the magic of the moment.

11. bzfgt

Good point, although if you've seen the shows from an era the tapes can be more effective as you are reminded of the moment. There are certain things that were immense live that, had I not seen them, I might not be that impressed with the tapes...

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Exactly. If you've embodied the experience of the GD then the tapes serve as a doorway, a wormhole perhaps, into the felt sense of the live experience even if you were not in attendance at a specific show.

Crispy Rob, Archtop, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Nothing encapsulates the second set from 6/18/83 like this comment.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  14. bzfgt

Actually that's not true, I just realized that I didn't get into this show until after I graduated from UO, it must have been when I returned to visit (I've been there a bunch since).

For some reason, when I realized that, my conscience bothered me about this post... although I realize no sane person cares enough to require this correction...

adamos, budwhite, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's difficult for me to believe that you got your dates mixed up. :nyah:

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, trd and 3 others like this.
  16. bzfgt

Be fair...I haven't done that since October 2020...

Panama Hotel, ARK, adamos and 5 others like this.
  17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's difficult for me to believe that he can post in the right thread. :bdance:

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I watched a of couple videos, and I was so busy trying to find fault with him, I wasn't appreciating how good he is. I always approach people who play like Jerry with caution, but if they're good I always get into them.

Anyway, I didn't make it out to Marin tonight, mainly because I have to get up early tomorrow, but next time they're anywhere around here, I'm going. I should check out their website.

I'm also seriously jonesing for a DSO show.

So @bzfgt, you're a guitar player, and you thought @tdcrjeff's friend was a good player, right?

trd, US Blues, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  19. diamondstylus

diamondstylus Forum Resident

A Foxboro / Buffalo 1990 would be an appropriate box set.

Crispy Rob, uzn007, trd and 4 others like this.
  20. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

A year or so ago I went through my GD collection and added the date in YYYY-MM-DD format to the start of the album title. I went so far as to do individual tracks from the RT releases too. iTunes makes it easy to create playlists if I ever want to have a version with the original a disc running order, but I’ve found this approach to be very helpful when choosing what to listen to.

ARK, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  21. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Yep. I do this for all my official releases (except I don't bother with hyphens, just 900315 or whatever) and put all those FLAC folders in a folder. It's nice. In iTunes, I do it for all official/unofficial.

bzfgt likes this.
  22. bzfgt

I didn't give it a sustained, serious evaluation (and I'm probably not a serious musician, for someone who knows music for real you want @Archtop ). But my hot take is that, within the confines of what he's trying to do there, he seems to be an amazing player. Take it with all due caution.

wavethatflag and Archtop like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

At the risk of heresy, I’d say ‘89 is better than ‘90. But to really get specific, the best year of GD in the years I was seeing them was May ‘89 through April ‘90.

Mad Dog, adamos, KCWhistle and 7 others like this.
  24. bzfgt

I should make like Davmar and post my counterfeit (not like Davmar in that respect) Foxboro ticket stub...I got in anyway, though...forgive me, ye GD gods, but I paid good money for that counterfeit...I tried to do the right thing...

25. bzfgt

Yeah I have left Itunes behind with the FLAC player. It does have a playlist feature though, and I can always go back and tag it again.

But to tell the truth, I'm not sure I'll ever want to do that anyway...if I were to listen to the whole release, I'd want to group it by date anyway and since they're almost all contiguous, they are all next to each other by date in the player anyway...so 1974-06-16 RT 2.3 is going to be at most two slots away from 1974-06-18 RT 2.3 (I mean if I have a SBD and a MTX or AUD of something it could be three, but not that challenging)...