The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Listening to an old favorite for the first time (I think) in a decade...Scarlet>Fire from 1980-12-13....

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  2. bzfgt

Oog, I don't think I'd do well browsing the hyphenless version...

3. bzfgt

Exactly, Summer 89 through Spring 90 is the bizzomb

Crispy Rob and DrLunchbox like this.
  4. bzfgt

My fond memories didn't play me false! If you want to hear Jerry going to town on a top Scarlet>Fire no one ever told you about (ah, but you should have asked somebody!), go listen to 1980-12-13!

5. bzfgt

^^^that is the correct date, I'm willing to have this notarized

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Uggh; I see the thread posts, but I can't know who we're actually talking about.

US Blues likes this.
  7. bzfgt

I think you have to give him a chorus or two to really get going, but I was impressed. He's doing no more (or less) than channelling JGB Jerry, but he seems to be doing it very well.

8. bzfgt

Just hit the east side of the LBC
    On a mission tryin' to find Mr. Jerry G

PiTB is very nice from this set also.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  9. bzfgt

Honestly, it's an 11-minute 1980 PiTB that's surprisingly excellent. There's gold to be found in these 1980 shows, boys...

10. bzfgt

I'm 51 years old, and I recall a man saying that time goes by like hurricanes running after subway trains....I'm going to use that which remains to me evangelizing for 1980s Dead. And, in "1980s Dead" I am including all worthy shows from 1979 and the 1990s, selected according to the scientifically proven "No True Scotsman" criterion...

11. bzfgt

OK, I watched that same video again real quick. Without claiming to be an expert on guitar playing, I think I can say that he has a lot of facility, but even more so he has a presence, touch, and energy to his playing that make it excellent. Note how he enters for his second solo. As far as what he's playing, it's all pretty straightforward....I don't know if it gets more interesting than this, but he's nailing this stuff.

@wavethatflag

@Archtop

I clicked another one randomly, "He's Gone." Solo circa 4:30:

Jerry's Middle Finger (JMF) Feat Garrett Deloian on Cripe - He's Gone- Sweetwater - Mill Valley, CA

Again, he's playing no more nor less than what Jerry might play. Note how much authority he plays with, however, like every note is weighted down with lead weights. That is why, again, I find it impressive. I must say I haven't heard anything that made me say "What a great idea!" But he's nailing what he's doing...the feller is executing. I love the sound and approach, he absolutely owns every note he plays.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    laf848, adamos, frightwigwam and 3 others like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There had been rumors about the band practicing Help>Slip and Dark Star, but no rumors about Attics. And anyway, many rumors in those years turned out not to be true. Anyway, Attics was more than just gravy that night, and after it no one left the building, we all just stayed put and cheered and clapped for at least five minutes after it. In nearly 250 GD shows that I was at, that was the only time that happened.

And I know I have told this story before here, but when we all finally left the building, Heads were going ape**** as if the Good Ol Grateful Dead has just won the Super Bowl... A genuinely puzzled cop came up and asked me “what the heck happened in there?” I said “it’s kind of hard to explain, officer”

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Set 2

He's Gone, Greatest Story Ever Told, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Mexicali Blues, Truckin' > The Other One Jam > Drums > The Other One > Wharf Rat, Sugar Magnolia, Sing Me Back Home, Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away

07/25/72
    Paramount Theatre - Portland, OR

Crispy Rob, uzn007, KCWhistle and 6 others like this.
  14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

it's time for June 1990, however they want to do it, but all of Cal Expo makes the most sense.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Ive been waiting for "Truckin' up to Buffalo" vol II for a while now! cmon, 1990 was the best show they did in that hole!

Crispy Rob, trd, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  16. bzfgt

Might be overstated. Note I didn't say anything about him that couldn't have been concluded by a non-musician, anyway.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

trat, Crispy Rob, WaterLemon and 9 others like this.
  18. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that link. Volume 17 - Hallway Dancing - That's my best and oldest friend in the middle picture dancing at The Kaiser. The guy on the left side of the frame. I used to have a hard copy but I think it's long gone. I'll have to forward the link to him. A nice visual reminder of great times!

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Perhaps more clearly stated: Brent and Vince era shows.

PS- Enjoy your 50's they go past kinda quickly

ianuaditis, Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  20. Archtop

No question about it; and the vocals are top-shelf, which is rare. Funny; Garrett looks like 1971 Jerry in the I Need a MiracleMoney Honey viddy, but he's the spitting image of Weird Al Yankovic in the He's Gone video. He's channeling Jerry quite nicely, but I want to hear the band go somewhere with Garrett letting loose. The potential has to be there, but perhaps that's just not their thing. Just when they end He's Gone is where I'd want to take it to a smoking cauldron and then blast out a Hard to Handle jam that blows the back wall clear to hell.

21. bzfgt

Yeah, my life is 9/10ths over at this point considering experiential time and the way it continually accelerates...

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  22. bzfgt

Well, I retagged all my FLACs, the labor of a couple hours...and now with the tiny screen I have, I have a list of "Grateful Dead 19"s to choose from. I guess I should have made it all "GD19xx." If I ever get the energy to redo them, I'll do just that; for now, I just have to remember what the labels are and count down from the top until I think I have the correct year(s).

ARK and KCWhistle like this.
  23. bzfgt

Yes, I'm not sure if it ever gets very imaginative, which is why I qualified it on rewatching...probably be fun to go see them either way, though.

Archtop likes this.
  24. bzfgt

Bird Song 1973-07-27...very good version, yet it must be the sleepiest version ever...

I also listened to PiTB from 1993-05-26 4 or 5 times before that, that has to be one of the best things they ever did...I knew it was good but I don't think I ever fully grasped that it is one of their top moments.

25. Archtop

Always a glutton for hyperbole, I couldn't resist. I have to say that I simply don't care at all for Vince's keyboard sound from this era and Phil's bass playing is choppy (not so good) rather than being herky-jerky (really great). So this one doesn't stand a chance, right? Well, I gave it one, and my take is that it's one of the best things Jerry ever did (e.g., see 11:00-12:35), but not one of the best collective improvs, to my ears. Nonetheless, high marks.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 5 others like this.