The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Soon after I got into the Dead in 1993 I heard that on the Dead Hour. It gave me hope for a while that they could do improv in their current shows that ranked with their best.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Interesting idea. I may follow suit and change the Artist tag to include the year as well.
    Currently, I have releases segregated by title and number with the date prominent in the Album tag. Unofficial downloads are YYYY-MM-DD then location in the album tag.
    I do have the year (performance, not release) tagged but haven’t found a good way to use that field to help with sorting. This is all in iTunes, by the way.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Watkins Glen "Jam", it took me years to really love this as much as I do this day. It's subtle (up until the proto-FOTM).

PiTB 1988-07-29 currently playing. Out there.

1989-10-08 Bird Song I listened to much earlier but forgot to mention....it's big and midied and muddy and tacky, a seriously weird version.

Crispy Rob, adamos, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Grasshopper: You must learn to slow down time. This is the key to the next 50 years. :tiphat:

frightwigwam and bzfgt like this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

A spectacular Brown-eyed Women caught my ear last night and I asked myself this question, “What ‘77 show is this?”

And the answer... September 2, 1983 (Dave’s Picks Vol. 27)

Crispy Rob, adamos, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It would be wrong to not listen to these shows this weekend

Crispy Rob, laf848, adamos and 12 others like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

For a really interesting series of takes on the non linearity of time, read Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman.
    Douglas Adams had some other interesting ideas about time in the Hitchhikers series. “Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

8. bzfgt

Yeah, I always dug that one, good call.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and Freebird like this.
  9. US Blues

First set songs like that were often ablaze in the Brent era.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  10. US Blues

In fact, it is utterly right to listen to the whole boxset this weekend. I'll get on it just as soon as set 1 of 24 March 1973 finishes playing. :righton:

11. bzfgt

Mere first set songs, as one might say.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  12. US Blues

I have experienced the non-linearity of time at numerous GD, Furthur, and Phil & Friends shows. Uncle Albert was always there leading me on.

budwhite, trd and bzfgt like this.
  13. US Blues

Because of the expectations for glory in the second set, the first set of many 80's shows was more enjoyable in some very specific ways.

14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I'm already half way through the 10th show. I love this box and I love 73. The sooner the latest DaP arrives the better

Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  15. Butzi

Butzi Forum Resident

Sorry, don’t mean to derail the discussion, but I’m currently listening to the Omaha gig from the July 1978 collection and it just struck me this period may well contain Donna’s finest performances with the GD. Her voice blends in wonderfully with the boys’ and there isn’t one iota of harshness, like in some other gigs (that being, as I understand, due to the lack of a proper monitor, which prevented her from actually hearing how she sounded). And it just shows how much she adds to the ensemble, when singing with so much gusto. OK, little epiphany confession time over, just thought I’d share it with you. :tiphat:

16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

To me it’s not heresy, it’s obvious.

‘89 box!
    I sold it to you! You probably didn't realize it was me because I went by "Wavy Flag" in those days. I was a scammy Deadhead, so watch out.
    It is right, and it is good. So it is written, and so it shall be done. Blues For Allah be praised.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Crispy Rob, KCWhistle, trd and 2 others like this.
  17. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Big fan of that Truckin' > Other One!

18. Freebird

Might have to hook up the HDCD player and give Winterland ‘73 the proper treatment.
    [​IMG]

19. Freebird

1979-11-09
    War Memorial Auditorium
    Buffalo, NY

Good stuff. Jesus...that Jack Straw...fuuuuuuuudge.

20. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

June 23rd, 1990
    Autzen Stadium
    Eugene, Oregon

Probably the best show of the summer. Foxboro may have a claim, but the scene in Eugene couldn't be beaten, and we got Ron Boise's Thunder Machine.

21. bzfgt

Yes, I knew your praise of the Brent era could not possibly be unadulterated...

US Blues likes this.
  22. US Blues

Brother, I saw many a Brent show that would burn off both your little ears. Some of my favorite shows were in 81 - 84, and I know that the experiences of the evening didn't always translate to the recordings. I also saw a few clunkers in those years, so there was a balance.

I was simply articulating a dynamic that I and others noticed back in the day.

budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  23. bzfgt

Well I like the Scarlet>Fire from 1979-12-03, I don't know why it is sneezed at. It has the sleepy vibe of the rest of the show, but Jerry is playing, despite the rumors...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  24. Freebird

And the Franklin’s Tower....wow. Like, WOW!

25. US Blues

Can you give us a full review? ala @warewolf95

budwhite, Freebird and warewolf95 like this.