Rate and Review the songs of The Monkees Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turk Thrust, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

OH, WHAT A NIGHT

When I saw the title listed, I automatically thought it was the Four Seasons hit. But obviously that would've gone against the purpose of the album (all Monkee-written & performed).

It's an okay song. I somehow never liked the "and again...just one chance" answer calls. Sounds kinda clichéd musically to me. But I don't hate it.

3/5

Wil1972, Grand_Ennui and The MEZ like this.
  2. TEDA

TEDA Forum Resident

Oh What A Night is 3/5

Another solid song and performance, and like the others in Justus just fine but not remarkable

To be a little snarky, I think that the whole album should be renamed Justfine ;)

Wil1972, BZync, Grand_Ennui and 2 others like this.
  3. JJR

JJR Forum Resident

This song got a bump for me when I saw the live rendition on YouTube. The Monkees were playing as a unit and seemed to enjoy it. I know we might not be technically rating that performance it still elevates the tune to a 4. There are differences of opinions in individual songs and albums but for the most part there is much agreement on the Monkees music, such as this is a strong Davy LP. He also has the best songs on this LP for me and although there are several earlier Davy tunes I can't do without, overall vocals and songs on a release, this seems the most consistent and best.

4. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

Oh What A Night - 3/5

Just made a 3 for me but I don’t think it’s as good a song as the previous two. Well performed but it doesn’t really grab me and it doesn’t sound like that great a night!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  5. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Oh, What a Night
    This is a true highlight on this album. Davy's tracks on this album are definitely some of his best on the reunion albums. Davy for the win!

A stand out track - love the guitars and bass on this one - it is like they are dancing in a way by playing off each other. The Monkees all play well on this tune. Davy wrote this one as well and it is perfect for his singing range. A strong
    4/5

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  6. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

This song injects some needed Monkees FUN into the record.

I'm going to give "Oh, What a night" a four.

7. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

'Oh, What a Night' - really nice effort from Davy. Great harmonies on this one. The ending is especially good. Love it. 4/5

8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just my opinion, but I think the consensus on Justus will be about the same as Changes and Pool It in that they’re not really as bad as their reputations have led some fans to believe. Yes, there are clunkers here and there. But, overall, they really are better albums than some have been led to believe.

[​IMG]

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Last Train to Clarksville recorded and released after Paperback Writer....

10. 905

905 Senior Member

5/5
    I was going to give it a four , but there's enough Monkees magic in it for me to give it a five.

11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I like the song itself as well as Davy's vocal but the band arrangement kind of bugs me.

3/5, regardless.

Wil1972 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  12. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

I can’t let that pass, Fred.

Both Changes and Pool It are horrendous. They are probably amongst the worst half dozen albums in my collection and only remain there because it’s The Monkees, although no Nesmith and it’s not my Monkees.

I know others disagree :)

13. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

4/5. The dry production really helps Davy on this album, as his songs lacked the MOR overlay that likely would have happened otherwise. Here, his songs are all heart. This is a fine example.

14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Agree-- yes, they are as bad as their reputations.

DaveJ likes this.
  15. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I'm not a big fan of 'Oh What a Night'. Some of the rhymes are a bit irritating, an irritation that is accentuated by a simplistic fall and rise in the melody. Also, as is the case more than once on Justus, I find Davy's vocal decidedly unrefined. I'm just as unimpressed by the backing vocals on this one - they seem excessively dense (not sure how else to describe it) and overly loud in the mix. Once again, there are other songs on Justus that suffer from similar backing vocals ('Circle Sky' is still fresh in my mind). I don't actually hate 'Oh What a Night', I'm just not a big fan of it.

Guy Smiley and JuanTCB like this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

5/5 for Oh, What A Night. I agree with everyone else, David really knocked it out of the park on this album. Love the instrumental work on this one, and Davy sounds great. Good lyrics too.

17. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Davy rules this record. 5/5 for this one. The acoustic guitars and Peter's bass are awesome here.

18. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Oh, What a Night - 3/5
    I think this one is alright-sounding but kind of forgettable. Davy sounds fine here, but I don't think the backing vocals are particularly strong. I think the verses are okay, but I'm not a fan of the chorus. It's not a bad song but it's not one I would actively choose to listen to.

Grand_Ennui and The MEZ like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Oh What a Night!

3/5 I guess

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Oh What A Night"

Interesting to watch that video - Davy now has the mature looks of a 60s pop idol all grown up. Peter always looked like Peter. The song is pleasant enough, without the 90s rock vibe of the other tracks I've sampled, and Davy's voice has lost none of its charm. It's worth 3/5.

Grand_Ennui, D-rock and The MEZ like this.
  21. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yeah, I think this one’s OK but nothing special. Maybe a solid 2/5. Maybe even 2.5, but I don’t love it enough to give it an actual 3.

Having listened to the album (streaming) in full yesterday, I think most of the album will fall into that category for me.

22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Correct. And..?

BadJack, Grand_Ennui, 905 and 2 others like this.
  23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Funny, I thought it was going to be the Dells hit. :D Wow, I actually am going to give this one a low 4/5. I never gave Justus a chance before this thread. I like this track!

24. I love Nez for doing that.

Yeah he does, and that's something I really like about this album.

This album is a great showing for Davy, and I'm so thankful that someone got the Billboard Live concert on tape, even if the quality isn't the best. My favorite part of this video is at the end, when Davy looks at Mike and says, "I keep looking over here and there's not an empty space anymore. It's wonderful." Would've been amazing if the four guys could've continued working together right after Justus, put out another album.

Oh, What A Night

Well sung by Davy, great to hear Mike and Micky on backing vocals, and good guitar work from Mike. 4/5

Wil1972, j_rocker, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  25. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident Thread Starter

The ratings for Oh, What a Night:

1-0
    2-1
    3-11
    4-12
    5-3

D-rock and The MEZ like this.