Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Hearing these Sonatas and Partitas on the cello, or rather, a piccolo cello, certainly shows them in a new light. (I just played the first two Sonatas and the Chaconne from the 2nd Partita.) He plays them very well and the sound quality is excellent.

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hello, and welcome to the thread! If you like the third sonata, let me commend my favorite recording: Earl Wild, on his own Ivory Classics label. When I think of Wild, I usually think of playing that's--well, "wild," ultra-virtuosic and not always as "personal" as I might like. But this one...although he has the chops to burn that you'd expect for the big moments, what really grabs me is the incredible delicacy with which he plays the quieter passages of the slow movement. It's the sort of playing you get only from someone whose technique transcends technique, that is so exalted he can do things that don't sound as if they require it in ways that can't be done without it.

While we're on the subject of Arrau, I had a sorry disappointment with one of his '40s vintage 78 sets recently; I've written about it here: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] A cautionary tale

Bubbamike, Wes H and George P like this.
  3. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Thank you. I recall an enjoyable old reel-to-reel I had of Wild playing Liszt--I'll look into that Brahms.

In the meantime, I listened to this wonderful recording today as well.
    [​IMG]

By the way, how many posts do I need to make before they are no longer held up for moderator approval?

Wes H likes this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Wonderful album.

Welcome! :wave:

George P likes this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Yes, it's all subjective, but I'm always open to hearing new takes on these beloved works.

I'm unfamiliar with Kun-Woo Paik, though I understand what he is saying about trying to interpret Chopin's music through what we know of his life. Sometimes a slow, deliberate pacing can be lovely, but I'm not sure I'd want to hear all 21 played that way. Sometimes when a work is played way slower than I expect, I can't enjoy it because I keep thinking, "C'mon, get on with it!"

After Rubinstein, my next favored LP set of the Nocturnes is Moravec's performance recorded by Connoisseur Society in 1966. I have them in this box set:

[​IMG]

I also have Arrau on 2 Philips LPs, but I've not played them in a long time so I can't recall any specifics (good or bad). Since you rate Arrau so highly, I obviously need to pull them out for a long overdue spin!

Another Chopin performer I like is Polish-born Adam Harasiewicz, who recorded the Nocturnes (around '68, I believe) and a lot more Chopin for Philips. One doesn't hear much about him these days, but I find his Chopin very compelling. YMMV.

[​IMG]

layman, Eigenvector and J.A.W. like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliment and welcome!

Yes, I love Arrau's rich sonorities too! I particularly like them in his Debussy, his Chopin Nocturnes and his Liszt.

7. George P

I will be curious to hear what you think of the Arrau. As for the Moravec, that looks like a helluva set. I did a complete Chopin Ballade survey a number of years ago and his were second only to Maria Tipo's live recording on Ermitage. I also did a similar survey of Chopin prelude recordings and again he came in second, this time Sokolov getting first place. And I have always enjoyed his Nocturnes. Have you heard his Pathetique sonata by Beethoven? I find that recording to be the best of his that I have heard. I am lucky enough own them all.

Wes H likes this.
  8. George P

I recall the reviews of the sound quality on that Naxos CD scaring me away from that. It didn't take much, for I am not a big fan of orchestral historical recordings.

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Didn't know I had this, the lack of cover meant it got lost.
    [​IMG]

10. George P

Nice find! Part is great! I have a number of his CDs, but I never remember to listen to them. I can't listen right now, but I have added this to my "to listen to" pile:

[​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

12. George P

As much as I love the composer, the works and the pianist, I have yet to hear that set. I went a little crazy a number of years back, collecting many different recordings of the concertos and stopped short of this set.

I was thinking yesterday about how I go through phases with some works, collecting many different recordings, only to later discover that I am happy with just a few. I guess that's just the process sometimes.

13. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Can't beat a bit of Harrison after a few Tequilas, mesmerising.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I like it they don't go for the big tune thing, the pianism is sensitive, delicate.

Wes H and George P like this.
  15. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

These recent Reference Recordings SACDs are excellent, and the label's name speaks volumes about the sound quality!

[​IMG][​IMG]

layman and Wounded Land like this.
  16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

17. George P

Mikhail Rudy's EMI set is like that. Good sound too, something we don't often get from EMI.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    royzak2000 likes this.
  18. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I do exactly the same thing :hide:

George P likes this.
  19. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Feldman: Patterns in a Chromatic Field. Mathis Mayr, Antonis Anissegos. Wergo

royzak2000 likes this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Have not heard the Tipo or Sokolov recordings, but I'll definitely put them on my "watch" list.
    As for Moravec's Beethoven Pathetique -- yes, I have that in the 4-LP box set below, with some other popular Beethoven works. It's dated "1969" and is another great Connoisseur Society recording. Again, I'd agree his is one of the best Pathetique performances I've heard, though I'm sure I've not heard as many as you have.

[​IMG]

It's a pity that Moravec did not record a complete set of the Beethoven sonatas. Of those pianists who did, my favorites are the LP box sets below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please note that I've listed these in no particular order. It's very difficult for me to rank any one above the others, as I find endearing qualities in each of them and visit all of them often -- that is, more so than other Beethoven sonata cycles I've collected.

Eigenvector, J.A.W. and George P like this.
  21. George P

I fully agree about it being a pity that Moravec did not record the complete sonatas. I wish he'd recorded more piano music in general. He was incredible.

And that Gulda set is special. I have it on CD (Brilliant Classics.) His technique is incredible and he plays the music in a youthful, wonderfully self assured way. I should revisit that set again soon.

Wes H likes this.
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

23. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I'd love to hear him play Beethoven's late sonatas. I have several Chopin and Debussy LPs on the Connoisseur Society label by him...all are mesmerizing.

Wes H and George P like this.
  24. George P

He's amazing with the French composers as well. This 2CD set, which is sadly OOP, is wonderful:

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  25. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I just ordered this LP from Discogs. At least I'll have at least one Beethoven recording by him!

[​IMG]

George P likes this.