I know I’m doing it wrong: help me listen to my high res files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wildgift, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about... Thread Starter

I’m using a Synology d218+ NAS, Plex as a front end and a Yamaha RX-V2085. I’m streaming via my Apple TV 4K, using the great Plex app on the Apple TV.

I read that the Apple can’t play over 48khz. Is there a way to connect my Synology to my Yamaha so its Sabre Ess DAC is used? I love the plex interface but I want to get the best sound I can. Bonus points for good interface.

Sorry for the noob question. New to this.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    head_unit likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm not familiar enough to answer the question, but for clarification what outputs are available from the Synology? And how is it connected now to the Apple TV? The Yamaha cannot control the Synology directly? Can you ask Plex tech support?

3. Wildgift

The Synology has USB and ethernet. I've installed Plex on the Synology. Not sure if the Yamaha can connect with the Synology. I <think> it can using DS app/dlna...

4. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

I have a NAS 1511+ and connect via ethernet to my network. I have a Cambridge Audio streamer connected to my stereo system.
    90% of my new music is HRA and it works like a charm

5. Wildgift

Ok, thanks. So, do you suggest that a media streamer would give me better results? How does one control the Cambridge streamer?

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I would think you're going to have to dump Apple TV for streaming audio. You could use JRiver. They have linux versions that you run on a Raspberry Pi. They sell either the Intel NUC version if you want video or the Raspberry Pi version for audio only. I would recommend using the phone/tablet app as the interface if you don't want to deal with turning on your TV to play your music. If you have an old phone or tablet, this probably the best way IMO.
    JRiver Id

7. Wildgift

Many thanks; a bit too DIY for me :)

8. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

If your Yamaha receiver supports DLNA (and is connected to your network) you should be able to use the Synology DS Audio app (iOS/Android) to stream HiRes audio to it. If not, you'll need a streaming device of some sort - the Cambridge CXN already mentioned is a good one, but there are many other effective and inexpensive options such as that suggested above by vinylontubes.

Stringman likes this.
  9. Wildgift

Yes, the Yamaha does support DLNA. Is it really that simple?? Just stream using DS Audio? It's not pretty, but it does work. It finds the Yamaha.
    I'm just wondering how a streaming setup can be better than a hard wired set up.

Is there an alternative to DS Audio that <looks> better? Ie, shows art, etc?

10. Dingly Del Boy

I think Plex is also DLNA compatible. If you're using Android then Bubble UPnP is the one to use.

11. Wildgift

So they say, but I'm having trouble having Plex find my Yamaha...

12. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I think you may be focused too much on the numbers. The AppleTV only does 48k but it is still an excellent streamer and will deliver a great stream to your Yamaha.

13. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Do you have the Yamaha MusicCast app for your phone? It should find your Plex DLNA server, and then you can play directly from the receiver via the app.

14. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

I use Minim Server and Servio on my NAS. All my music is on my NAS in my MUSIC folder with each ARTIST within that. Albums or tracks are within the Artist folder.
    MinimServer and Servio point to that MUSIC folder.
    Cambridge Audio have an app (iPhone or Android) where you can select tracks/albums/etc that you want to play.

15. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

I've heard PLEX works really well too

16. Wildgift

Thanks all. Still trying to figure out how to get the best results from streaming or hardwiringNAS to Yamaha.

17. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Hardwire your NAS to your router.
    Run the DLNA server that is included with Synology OS, or continue using Plex DLNA server; not both.
    Try with your AVR on wireless (unless it can be easily wired): if stuttering, we'll cross that bridge.
    On your iDevice, install the Yamaha MusicCast app and use it to control music sent from server (NAS) to renderer (AVR).
    There isn't much more to it, at least to get a functional solution.

BTW, your AVR has a firmware update posted 5/28/19 that you should install:
    RX-A1080/RX-V1085/RX-A2080/RX-V2085/RX-A3080/RX-V3085 Firmware Update Ver.1.65 - Yamaha - United States

If your NAS has any pending updates, now would be a good time to take care of them as well.

Not really the way this works. Maybe it can be done with a "crossover" ethernet cable, but this would be an unconventional implementation.

18. Wildgift

Thanks. I’d like to use plex because it has a great interface. I did install the update. Plex on my iMac and iOS devices don’t see the Yamaha. I’ll try hardwiring NAS to router too. Not sure what that does.

19. Wildgift

I tried this. The app sucks. Slow, laggy, bad interface. Still trying to get plex to work.

20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Generally, ethernet will be more stable and trouble-free compared to wireless. Having the NAS wired to the router avoids a wireless "double hop" assuming your AVR is not near enough to your router to be wired.
    Plex has an iOS DLNA controller, as does Synology and a couple dozen other options. DLNA is a standard. You need a server (Plex on NAS), a renderer (Yamaha AVR), and a controller. This problem can be solved later. If too clumsy, just use the Plex interface on your PC. The key is to get music streaming from the NAS to the AVR.

The key issue is that your AVR is not showing up as a renderer. Is it connected to your network? How? Have you followed the instructions in the manual on how to join the AVR to a network? After this, you may need to reboot your router to get it to assign an IP address to the AVR. And reboot your Synology to get it to see the new device.

21. Wildgift

Thanks. The syno and the Yamaha are both hardwired to the router. I can see them using my Orbi‘s app and they both have addresses. Just cannot figure out why Yamaha can’t see the syno

22. Dingly Del Boy

I take it that Media Server is running on your Synology?

23. Wildgift

I’ll have to check that. Thanks.

24. Stringman

Stringman Forum Resident

Yes.
    I picked MinimServer after a recommendation. I have used the Synology Media streamer as well but MinimServer is better, IMHO

Dingly Del Boy likes this.
  25. Dingly Del Boy

I'd agree, but it's a little trickier to set up - and how tricky depends on the controller you are using.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.