"Frasier" Reboot*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

IMHO, it's unnecessary and impossible to replicate the magic that was once there.

And personally, DHP is brilliant but no way could I see him have the energy to deliver a performance close to what he gave us through the initial run.

2. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I don't think they will try to replicate it though. Well, maybe the magic, but it will be a different location, at a different point in Frasier's life, and likely with different characters around him.

It can work, it just needs to be done well. But I'm not one of those people who will say if they screw up it'll ruin the legacy of the show or something like that. The old show still remains, and it'll be as good as it was even if they mess up a reboot.

Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Niles character. Too over the top and creepy at times for me. I found him quite unlikable much of the time. That said, all the characters, including his, made the show. The Frasier/Niles dynamic is what drove most of it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

The audience for this show is going to want the show they know by heart. So "Classic Niles" they will get.

I don't know what more there is to do with that character, but I am not the audience for this sort of show.

4. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Please don't.

Balthazar likes this.
  5. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I love the original series but doubt this would be any good. Everything has a time, and when it's over, best to move on.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

So of course, you post in this thread. Makes sense.

7. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

There is no scientific law that states a reboot must be much worse than the original show. I think we'd all agree that generally, original songs are better than covers of those songs. But not always. It all depends on the execution.

If this airs, I will tune in. If it stinks, I will tune out. No skin off my nose. I'd rather see them try then throw their hands up in the air and say, "there is no point, we did a successful show about Frasier twenty years ago and so this can't possibly work!"

I guess people believe they are just going to try to recreate the original. But if you listen to Grammer, it seems likely that a lot more will be different than the same. I think all we've been told is it will follow Frasier in a new chapter of his life, in a different city and won't likely involve him being in radio. I don't even think it's a certainty that anyone from the old show, aside from Frasier, is a regular cast member. I could see guest appearances for some of the old cast but otherwise everything else would be new.

It will be tempting for them to make it the Frasier and Niles show, as before. They can just pick up where they left off. But that is lazy and it doesn't seem where they are headed, at least to me. And maybe I'm giving the audience too much credit, but I don't think Niles is some prerequisite to people watching the show. I think they will tune in, on name recognition alone, and if they like the show they will continue to watch it. They just have to grab people like they did 25 years ago and there are hundreds of ways to accomplish that (but it all boils down to good characters, good setting, and a good script).

905 and jamesc like this.
  8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Waiting Mr. Ed and My Mother the Car reboots.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and jlocke08 like this.
  11. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

ill try this out, honestly i can't think of one reboot i liked, even the Comeback on HBO cameback and it just wasn't there. it's gonna be weird without John Mahoney, and Moose

12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Frasier is probably my favorite comedy series of all time. But sadly, this will be on yet another! streaming service. I subscribe to a few and can’t subscribe to any more. Sorry Frasier. I’ll miss you, I really will.

MikeInFla likes this.
  13. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Can we just get the original series in widescreen HD?

The only way this can be an artistic success is if Frasier 2.0 is as different from the original as the original was from Cheers. They cannot get within a mile of the original show without the original cast. Swing for the fences and do something radically new for Frasier Crane.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I couldn’t disagree more. Both seasons of The Comeback were brilliant. The Frasier reboot will be garbage, however.

15. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

My favourite parts of the old series were Frasier-Niles sibling rivalry. If they get DHP on board, there is potential there.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Showrunners who had nothing to do with writing the original series is a bit of a red flag to me.

MikaelaArsenault and Kyle B like this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

All shows made in 90's should stay in 90's which means lighting will not strike twice..
    Friends,Seinfield, Fraisier,all had there time.
    This pure desperation to fill the void of jump started streaming service..
    Just push product to stay afloat no how bad the content or unimagined it is.
    Example rebooting x-files.. I pretend it was nothing more than fever dream scully had.

18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

The new showrunners worry me. I remember seasons 8-10 of the original when Christopher Lloyd and Joe Keenan weren’t there. Big decline from the previous seasons. The last season was somewhat of a rebound because the old showrunners returned.

Paramount is really mining its library for this new service. Everything under the sun is getting a reboot: Rugrats, the Parallax View, Criminal Minds, Flashdance, Love Story. Do we really need a series version of Love Story? We already know how it’s going to end.

19. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

If they can combine all of those into one big show, I might possibly be interested.

Maybe each episode can have him get involved with a different women with a different terminal disease.

I can hear the opening voiceover now: "What can you say about a fifty-one-year-old premise that wouldn't die?"

20. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Well...... why not? ;-)
    Probably be more fun than a Frasier reboot.

21. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

We'll be lucky if we don't end up with a Tortellis reboot at some point.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  22. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Queen Latifah

23. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Yes, the same way all love stories end.

24. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Every week she gets a little sicker, and her outfits get a little sexier.

jamesc likes this.
  25. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Cheers Babies.