Mcintosh MC225 or MC240 with Heritage Klipsch Belle Speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have an opportunity to buy a used amp for basically the same price, which would you choose for the Belle's?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Best condition. Look inside.

If both mint, the 240.

IanL, McLover, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  3. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I am curious to ask: What about the 30 wpc monos? I know they are a lot more expensive, but they would sure look nicer, one next to each speaker. How would they sound compared to the stereo models?

4. Garthb

thanks, Steve! It appears the 240 is in better condition, or at least has a better condition chassis.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Get the 240. The 6L6GC output tube is not rare and easily found.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If they haven't been restored electrically over the last few years, either one you choose will need it. You'll want somebody that really knows their way around these vintage amps.

7. Garthb

Agreed, I'm buying from a restoration guy

sberger likes this.
  8. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I’ve got a 240 with a pair of Cornwalls. I’ve been more than happy for close to 10 years with the match.

Garthb and smctigue like this.
  9. onemug

onemug Forum Resident

Any chance of listening listening to both first? The 6l6 and 7591 output tubes are both great sounding tubes, you might prefer one over the other but I think you will be happy with either.

If not, I'd say go for the 240. I had one for awhile and liked it immediately over the first 2 reissues of the 275 I had. It just sounded 'right'.

10. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Tube rolling plays a good part. I’m a bit against the grain as I don’t have any TFK’s in it. Mullards for the 12au7’s, mullard 12ax7 in the V1, rca black plates for the 12bh7’s and Tung Sol 5751’s for the cathode followers. This suits my cornwalls and my room. The cornwalls are Crites upgraded and plumbers putty around the horns and tweeters. Ymmv.

11. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I recommend the GE’s. The RCA black plates are also nice, and will provide a bigger bass response, but for my tastes, the GEs are definitely more 3-dimensional, and are very balanced across the sound spectrum.

12. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I apologize if including my questions about the MC-30 mono amps are not what the original question intended, but please, if anyone has direct experience, how would they sound with Klipsch speakers compared the the stereo amps so far discussed here? Is there anything to differentiate the three comparable amps, such as any general consensus about the power tubes' character?

I think for Belle-Klipsch or Cornwalls, my favorites, the difference in power is insignificant.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Ive not had a pair of Belle’s, since they have a bass bin you may very well be correct about the power. But with Cornwall’s, they like more power than their sensitivity measurement would suggest. When I went from a fisher 400 to a kx-200, the extra 8 to 10 wpc was a very big improvement in the bass. I do love tubes but the I’m running my Cornwall’s with a Mac 4100, 75 wpc SS and it really sounds full and effortless. I think the woofer likes power to get going. It could also be the MAC is just a better product but I have used various other amps and the extra power really helps the bass. Less flabby, smeared and faster.

smctigue and Warren Jarrett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.