Double Width Audio Rack

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hershiser, Nov 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident Thread Starter

Besides the typical stereo component rack you see at audio advisor or Best Buy, can anyone make a recommendation for a double width component rack that is stylish yet functional to hold at least 4 components and keep a turntable on top. Preferably something with a mid century modern look.

It is so hard to find a rack that is not designed for a TV and the ones that are not are single column that go too high when accommodating more than 4 components.

I have tried the furniture stores but they tend to add drawers and lack cable management.

Thanks!

2. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Box Furniture makes some very nice looking double-width racks. I have a single-width 4-shelf model made of solid anigre. The other standard wood is sapele. Both look great and my equipment sounds better on the Box Furniture rack than on others I’ve tried which include Sound Anchors, Billy Bags and many homemade racks.

mr. scratchy esq and Erocka2000 like this.
  3. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

How about some 3/4" oak plywood and 1/2" threaded rod to custom make exactly what you want?

bluesaddict and Scratcha like this.
  4. Hershiser

If I had any skills I would think about it. Lol. Thanks.

5. james

james Summon The Queen

theres also Timbernation

I heard if a new company that was showing at audio shows and the prices looked good. Can’t recall the name. Does anyone know who I’m talking about?

Hershiser likes this.
  6. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I second Timbernation. Gorgeous racks.

Hershiser likes this.
  7. harby

harby Forum Resident

Ikea Besta with a choice of legs, here hairpin legs:

[​IMG]

You can get a door that slides from side to side, or a pair of hinged doors. Also shelves, or drawers with or without box...

[​IMG]

The Besta looked nice in "mocha", which I have with double wood doors with small windows in the middle of each, but they discontinued that style.

Ikea Mostorp with vinyl wood grain stick-on and new legs:

[​IMG]

Some of the bigger receivers will need you to cut out the whole back section where it goes because they are too deep.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Fruff76 likes this.
  8. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Quadraspire

QAVM or QAVX
    Quadraspire - The Origianl Q4 EVO Racks

SV2T
    Quadraspire - Performance SVT Racks

All are modular, so you choose the number and finish of the shelves and the spacers to determine height.

I have had the original Q4 since about 1996/7 and they still look great and ithey certainly improved the sound when I first installed it. No idea now because it has been installed ever since apart from an occasional deep-clean.

eddiel and Hershiser like this.
  9. Hershiser

Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread. Due to budget reasons some of these are a little more than I have to allocate to this. But I love the Box Furniture racks and the Quadrospire.

I think I am going to go with the Salamander SDAV1 rack from Crutchfield. It is a double wide with 4 shelves and a can place my turntable on top and my wife is ok with the appearance.

Fruff76 likes this.
  10. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I have a double width Quadraspire SVT (SV2T) and one ifs advantages are the slotted shelves for extra airflow. But...it's a bit...ahem...expensive.

MGW likes this.
  11. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

12. Hershiser

I love how they show the components without wires connecting them. It looks lovely.

13. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

It's like the magazine photos of Wilson speakers sitting all by themselves in some big, beautiful room with not a single speaker cable in sight. I guess the owner just likes the looks of them.

14. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Two identical racks side-by-side, with one granite shelf covering both of them, can be a very nice alternative. You have so many choices of colors, in granite, and the small granite shops (countertop installers) will cut and polish a piece to any size you need. I actually have 3 racks side by side, with one top shelf all the way across the top of them.

You can see mine on my website, www.TheAudioHome.com .

The video on my Home page doesn't show it, nor does the Picture Gallery. Look on Page 2, the tour video of Room 1. Actually, now I realize that I should add a picture of the entire Room 1 rack to the Picture Gallery. So I will do that shortly.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  15. Hershiser

So this is what it looks like in action. Finally arrived and set up.

[​IMG]

16. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

New
    Hi,
    Anyone selling this type of rack. glass 2 or 1 door with steel or aluminum trimmings. Please let me know . New or used.
    Thanks,

[​IMG]

17. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

Highly recommend Butcher Block Acoustics racks. They appear to be out of stock on some stuff, but replenish every few weeks.

rigidrack™ - 3 SHELF

[​IMG]

18. major-tom

major-tom Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Spectral range. Possibly the HSL1203. Hand made in Germany. Hopefully they have a distributor in the U.S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.