Mobile Fidelity Vinyl One Step of SANTANA, BILL EVANS TRIO, etc.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew769, Dec 1, 2015.

1. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Paying for shipping to get the right LP to you does suck, but you should be able to recover the cost by selling your defective pressing if you want. What you have there is a Bill Evans/SRV sampler disc of two very good albums. Someone will want it to hear what One Step is all about and get selected cuts from these LPs.

FashionBoy likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Great idea, off sets any commitment to the customer from MoFi!

If this simply boiled down to costs thats a simply path but it goes way beyond simple financial implications for some customers.

3. BTBaboon

BTBaboon Active Member

What were the ELO & Paul Simon titles?

Fragile should be shipping before Christmas from what I understand.

Ah Um is likely to be announced right around New Years.

4. Eldorado and Still Crazy

5. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

So i called Music direct on thursday to make sure i had all of the preorders to date. They told me thrle only one that I needled to add was Mingus.

I have the whole series so i wanted to be sure i was all set. So i said to them, " what about ELO and Bllod Sweat and tears? The guy says they are not available as preorders or even cinfirmed yet as they are still working out the liscensing details. This was on November 7th 2019.

So then i tell him that peoplevon the forums are saying that they have preordered them. The guy then says, " well, there are a lot of "rumors" out there and i can reassure you that they cant be preordered.

So i think that its possible that either people ARE starting rumors, the rep from Music Direct is full of s☆it, there is a back channel to preorder that the rep wasnt aware of, or the Mothership, "MOFI" is accepting preorders on their own site.

6. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

How’s that coffee?

Not all SR’s know all things at all times. And MoFi isn’t taking preorders for titles not listed on their site, only Music Direct does this.

7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I have to say.. Preordering titles from a supplier (music Direct) when the manufacturer (Mofi) is yer to announce them makes no sense at all. It could either mean nothing (no actual release) or simply quantify the preorder of md to Mofi when actual preorders open. Mofi will announce the press size. If there are 2000 orders from MD already they will increase by 1-2000. If you order when announced - now worries - less waiting. All good but surely ... no sweat?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It’s simply that MD started to take preorders and then decided it was too early for them to take preorders.I have preordered both titles but that doesn’t mean they won’t be cancelled.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  9. I can assure you it is not rumor. I have BS&T, ELO, and Paul Simon preordered since June of this year

10. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

They have repeatedly told me false information. Last time was when I was looking for the Santana s/t 45 rpm. The rep told me they had no plans to press more. About a month later it was repressed and back in stock.

11. honestabe316

Gotcha, that makes sense...

12. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Every One-Step I have preordered from Music Direct has been 1 to 2 years out. Fragile may be an exception, but it seems to have been moved up.

13. honestabe316

Maybe because many of us are chomping at the bit for a good ole rock and roll proggy release..... weve gone through S&G, Marv. & Bill Evans and many are waiting for this

varyat likes this.
  14. MOON

MOON Forum Resident

I have had the ELO one step preordered for quite a while.

15. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

For those following the Dire Straits updates within this One-Step thread - all four titles shipped today.

Here is the link to one of the SHMF threads about them:

Dire Straits 45 RPM Vinyl MoFi Releases*

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Tullman, Twinsfan007 and MisterBritt like this.
  16. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

I received my One Step Monk yesterday. Perfect in all ways. Played it tonight..and WOW! This is a superb LP with great sonics. I prefer it to the Evans Portraits. One odd thing though, and maybe some of you can comment on this:
    On the tracks that Monk is playing by himself, the recording seems a little strange of his piano...almost as if there are two instruments ( which i know there are not). The instrument seems to float between the speakers, but with the bass keys more to the right..and the whole thing sounds a little 'stretched'. OTOH, when the whole group is playing, all returns to a more normal image with Monk on the right and everybody within their place on the stage...which to my ears sounds a lot better. Minor quibble, but interesting.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't have the one step but I own the first pressing and this is the way the solo piano was recorded. They were trying, I guess unsuccessfully, to create a stereo image of the piano, by multimiking it and then pan the recordings of the mikes.

MisterBritt, DaveyF and Kyhl like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure what's strange or unsuccessful about that. Completely normal stereo piano recording.

The precise microphone placement will vary based on any number of factors, but some variation of that has been pretty standard for recording piano since the late '60s or so, and Columbia had been doing it since the late '50s with solo piano.

DavidD likes this.
  19. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Interesting, and that explains the sound i was hearing. Not sure why they didn't want to record the piano in one space...essentially a mono image, as to me that would have made a lot more sense. The sound is quite good, particularly when it comes to the upper registers, but the image spread is very unnatural, imho. Luckily, once the band joins in, the sound becomes far more natural when it comes to where the piano is placed on the stage.

@ 5-string, consider getting the One Step, it really is a superb LP if you like Monk's dream.

5-String likes this.
  20. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Doesn’t MD own MOFI? Wouldn’t be surprised if MD could do these pre-orders.

21. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Just received the Music Direct catalog. The Blood Sweat and Tears is advertised on the back as a one step. The new ones there (not one step) Johnny Cash I walk the Line, Mahavishnu Orchestra The Inner Mounting Flame, T. Rex

James Bennett likes this.
  22. Yes they are part of the same company. I preordered mine through MD. MD is no longer taking preorders.

23. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Inner Mounting Flame is one I would order in a heartbeat.

Dmann201 and ti-triodes like this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Speakers Corner has a vinyl release available now.

Dmann201 and Adamski777 like this.
  25. shaft

shaft Forum Resident

Hi again guys! Just an update. I recieved the replacement LP1 and......it was a Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas LP1!
    Oooops! They are going to correct it but hey - how hard can it be?