Parasite (2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by humanbeing, Sep 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humanbeing

humanbeing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Watched Bong Joon -Ho‘s latest film Parasite.
    I highly recommend it, especially if you’ve appreciated his other films such as Snowpiercer, The Host, Okja and Memories Of Murder (the ones I’ve seen).
    I’m sure his films aren’t to everyone’s taste but you can’t deny his vision.

2. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Just caught this at the theatre. Absolute masterpiece. Would recommend to anybody who loves film - master class in comedic and horrific suspense and tension.

3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Awwwww...Not another DC Comics solo villian movie, about my favorite Superman baddie:cry:?

Walt likes this.
  4. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to this! I liked The Host.
    Okja was...um...interesting. Didn't quite work for me. It just seemed to test my patience. Anyone care to post a defense of it?

5. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Wow! What a film. So much to unpack here. This is kinda like a Korean "Us" (the Jordan Peele film), but in my opinion much much stronger. Funnier too. The rain storm sequence is just incredible.

KT88, davenav and mikeyt like this.
  6. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I'm just over half way through it and struggling a bit :hide:

willboy likes this.
  7. humanbeing

humanbeing Forum Resident Thread Starter

This film certainly stays with you long after.
    The social class system metaphor is better displayed here (higher ground > low land, view from the windows in different homes) than in Snowpiercer (front to rear of the train)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    KT88 and Aftermath like this.
  8. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Best film of 2019 so far!

9. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Saw this and The Lighthouse over the last couple days. Both amazing movies. For a foreign movie on a Tuesday night, Parasite had a big crowd. It must be getting good word of mouth.

Walt, Brendan K and rockerreds like this.
  10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and loved it. I did have to watch the birthday party scene through squinty eyes, but overall I thought it was funny and sad at the same time (!!), and very interesting social commentary.

I did not know this was the same director as Snowpiercer until I read this thread. Snowpiercer was one of the most unique films I’ve ever seen.

Aftermath likes this.
  11. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. It starts as an enjoyable, but familiar, caper movie. The it becomes progressively more surreal and dark.

Imagine David Lynch at his best, plus self-discipline.

Aftermath and dbacon like this.
  12. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

THE best film I've seen this year! :cool:

zombiemodernist and Brendan K like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have to see this! on the watch list...

George P likes this.
  14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Maybe pay more attention to the movie, and less time posting on the internet? :shrug:

15. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

GREAT idea.

It picked up in the last 30 minutes and was an enjoyable watch but I don't see the fuss really.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I thought this was good, but probably not more than that. I think it was a little over long, and a tad obvious. I see some are calling it a "masterpiece", but I'm afraid I'm out of step with most of you on film. I felt the same reading the thread on The Joker, which I thought was a slightly better than average origin movie and nothing more. From my point of view, the term "masterpiece" is being handed out too readily.

Someone also compared it to Us - but I think creatively Us had more in there. The clash of different classes here is obvious, but I'd be interested to hear about some underlying things beyond that.

Still, it's well made, and one of the best characters in the film was the house. I think I could live there. This is a good film, without being exceptional, imo.

wavethatflag, Shawn and brownie61 like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

How is it "surreal"? And how is it like a David Lynch movie?

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  18. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Looking forward to see it, but driving 50 miles to a theater is a little...

19. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

SPOILER WARNING! You've been warned! Do not read further if you do not wish to see spoilers!

When they crank aside the bookcase and the housekeeper's husband has been living in the bowels of the house for years.

For me, this evoked the place in Mulholland drive where one of the characters opened the mysterious box.

Both films started out as engaging and familar (a family of grifters works a caper in Parasite, intrepid pals try to solve a mystery in Mulholland Drive).

In Mulholland Drive, the box opens and the movie (for me) became an incomprehensible mess. In Parasite, the wall opens and the chain of circumstance that the family set in place begins to spin out of their control, but the storytelling remains tight.

brownie61 likes this.
  20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I thought you meant technically, or in the writing of the thing, rather a specific scene. My bad. If David Lynch had written Parasite we'd all be asking what the hell happened at the end. :D

21. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

My favorite film of the year as well. Bong Joon-ho has been one of the greatest working directors for quite a while. Having seen all his films, this easily ranks in the top 2 or 3. The tightness of pace, the way he lands the big tonal swing and the string message really impressed.

I loved the purpose-built house, it felt more like a realistic take on the one Tati built in Mon Oncle. Unlike Tati who was content to be biting while maintaining a light sense of humor, this movie goes dark, but never lean into horror like the recent Us which covered similar thematic ground.

For anyone looking for other Bong Joon-ho films after this one, I’d highly recommend his first two features, Memories of Murder and Barking Dogs Never Bite. His other films are great as well but these two are rooted more in the realism and social commentary Parasite traffics in. Barking Dogs was massively underrated by a US audience who didn’t really get him at the time, but is quite easy to find in HD on iTunes and Amazon video and well worth the time. Unfortunately and legal streaming of Memories has gone AWOL and the mediocre disc is OOP. Still worth seeking out if you like excellent true crime thrillers with an emotional punch.

johnnyyen, Jazzmonkie and Brendan K like this.
  22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. On the strength of this film, I want to explore his work further.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  23. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

other than Memories of Murder, i find mr. Bong's work bit overrated... but this one, this one is a clear winner.
    the verdict will likely be varied depending on your political/social stance but...anybody that will seek out foreign film like this will usually falls into same aisle (i'm assuming ;)).
    it's getting lot of (deserved) hype and likely favorite for next year's Best Foreign Film at the Oscar.

Aftermath and zombiemodernist like this.
  24. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I think you’ll certainly find something to enjoy. His filmography is wide stylistically but still distinct.

Next stop on the Korean Cinema train would be Bong Joon-ho’s friend Park Chan-wook if you haven’t seen any of his stuff. I’d recommend staring with JSA, but many people would nod to the Vengeance trilogy (particularly Oldboy). Those are great too, but very pulped up and align a bit more with the whole Asian extreme cinema trend. JSA is more realist, it’s like a poetic take on the A Few Good Men formula but actually has more to say than the Reiner / Sorkin film.

Plenty of other great Korean films out there too, but these two directors are an excellent entry point.

25. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I would see Best Foreign Film as a distinct consolation prize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.