James Brown - Live At Home With His Bad Self (Oct. 25, 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeteH

PeteH Shoes for Industry!

Anyone know who mastered this?

2. CD or LP?

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading. Thread Starter

The CD is "mixed and mastered by Peter A. Barker at Spin Move Studios, Santa Monica, CA."

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Great that an archival James Brown is being released!

Now Im not familiar with too much live James Brown, but does the sound on this seem recessed?

Or has it always been that way and this is an improvement?

I guess I was expecting a more forward sound with the band up further in the mix.

Max2max and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  5. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

On Friday went to the local record store to by the new Van Morrison and this James Brown release.
    They had about 4 copies of the Van CD, but sadly, it appears they didn't order any James Brown.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Sounds good guys. Got it on Friday and been listening all weekend to this.

7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Overall, this is an awesome album and I really hope we get more JB archival material. I found it edged out just a little bit by Live In Dallas for JB's greatest live album, imo. That 13 minute or so medley of "Licking Stick-Cold Sweat" from the 1968 Dallas show just seems to me like the entire band and JB are levitating with power.

8. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I rate this below most of the other (legitimate) live JB CDs, because of the odd studio song, because JB talks a lot, and because the mix isn't quite as polished.

I'm not suggesting a fan go without, as there are terrific moments on this disc, just that other JB live albums are even more crucial if you're just dipping your toes into his live discography.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Frank Discussion and Hep Alien like this.
  9. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

I'm debating between grabbing this or Say It Live and Loud: Live in Dallas 08.26.68. Any preference between the two?

10. Dark Horse 77

Dallas just slightly edges it for me. There's a 13 minute medley that I think made the entire city blow up on that CD. You can't go wrong with either album, though.

Vintage1976, Mook and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'd go with the Dallas show. And I rate LOVE POWER PEACE, the Paris show, above both.

12. I just picked up the BF RSD JB release with "Spinning Wood", "Fatwood", "Baby, Here I Come." I haven't been able to pick up the main release from which this was based, but I'll get it soon. I love my vinyl copy of Live Sex Machine. Love Power Peace is just my favorite live JB of all time. The Dallas cd is in a close second place for me. I will never tire of acquiring and listening to JB's records. Get it on up more time, ya'll. I love the city shoutouts on the live "Sex Machine" track. "Gotta go to San Antone, brother."

kees1954, AnalogJ and Hep Alien like this.
  13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There are no studio tracks on this CD... the original Sex Machine album had a few (with overdubbed applause), but this new release is entirely live.

("World" is performed to a pre-recorded backing track, but JB's vocals are live).

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Agreed with the Dallas 68 comment. I'm not sure there will be a soundboard recording that tops that one.

Hopefully one day we get the full Florida 66 show, some of which was included on the Get On Up Soundtrack.

Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  15. Dark Horse 77

I'm hoping that with the release of Live at Home the JB archives start getting released again. It's been too long since Hip-O's The Singles series ended.

SOONERFAN, Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  16. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I hadn't heard of the Dallas '68 album.

I'll be picking that up soon.

17. Dark Horse 77

You will not be let down!

Hep Alien and Mook like this.
  18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I almost bought the vinyl but went with the CD (saved coin) as I have too much vinyl. Looked into the Dallas one - will get that next - I must have 'Man's world' which isn't on the Dallas or the Apollo one I picked up - which bummed me out.

On streaming I watched the complete concert in Boston which was the day after MLK was assassinated - just amazing. If you haven't seen it - look for it.

Mook and BadJack like this.
  19. Dark Horse 77

That Boston concert has also been released in a bigger, 3 DVD set covering JB in 1968. Highly recommended for anyone into James' work.

20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

What is the DVD called?

Thanks.

21. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

22. Mroop

Mroop Member

Do a search on "YouTube Downloader" and use one of them to download to your computer. There are a bunch of them on Google. If one doesn't work then try another. There are free programs you can download and use one of those too.

polchik likes this.
  23. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I have a lovely downloader and since I posted I saved this concert when it was briefly up on YouTube. It's still a mystery that this recording isn't commercially available as it's one of James Brown's very, very best live performances.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. I have a region two version of it on dvd. I finally acquired a region-free blu-ray player but it won't connect to my speakers. I got to watch it again for the first time in years ever since my last region-free blu-player up and hiccuped on me and went kerblatzo. It's a great video.

MarkTWIC likes this.
  25. I have now listened to the sides one and two. This recording is nothing short of mind blowing. I love "World" and "If I Ruled The World"--both deep cuts. The "Lowdown Popcorn" steals the slow funk burnin' jams. If the Beasties were still around, I can see them lifting this as part of the band's multicolor pastiche of pop culture. I didn't have much hope for "Spinning Wheel" but when the instrumental breaks kicked in, the song became better. Maceo's horn is so sweet on this recording. Without even having listened to sides three and four yet, I can unequivocally say that this belongs in any respected JB viny collection. It's gotta be there, folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.