EL34 Tube Opinions- Gold Lion/Tungsol/Electro-Harmonix

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by imsjry, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked up a Yaqin Tube amp to power my Chorus II speakers. So far I'm loving the sound but the Tubes are stock. I already changed out the driver tubes with some new JJ's.

I'm looking for opinions on the EL34B power tubes. They currently have 6CA7 big bottle branded Yaqin (do they make their own?). I'm not even sure what I'm looking for in sound, but controlled bass, neutral warm highs, and wide soundstage would be ideal. I mostly listen at lower levels so rocking the house is not a priority.

From reading multiple articles, I've narrowed down to the Genelix Gold Lion KT77 (most expensive), Tungsol EL34, or the Electro-Harmonix 6CA7. Any strong opinions on these choices? The Gold Lion's are almost twice as much as the others and wondering if I'll hear twice as good of an audible difference.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I have the Gold Lion KT77's in my EL34 amp and like them very much. They smoke the original Shuguang EL34's that came with the amp.

vinylbeat and Ontheone like this.
  3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I would give the kt77s a try. I like this tube in an EL34 amp. They are more neutral, or some people say linear, but very, very good.

progrocker likes this.
  4. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

I like the Gold Lion KT77's and the Sophia Electric EL34 blue bottles. The Gold Lions have more punch, while the Sophia's are tone kings. Unfortunately the Sophia's are expensive.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    progrocker and Ontheone like this.
  5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Another rec for the Gold Lion KT-77s by far the best EL34 variant I've tried in my amp.

progrocker likes this.
  7. imsjry

Can you tell me the differences you hear sonically just so I have an idea? Thanks!

8. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I have two, low hour, matched quads of Gold Lion KT-77's that I would sell if anyone might be interested. I was getting ready to list them in the For Sale section.

9. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I use Electro-Harmonix EL34s in my Nobis Cantabile. Each tube has its own bias adjust and they're very touchy to set correctly. The EH tubes stabilize quickly and within 30 to 45 secs all four bias lamps have extinguished. Good quality and reasonable pricing.

10. imsjry

Did you notice a big change in the sonics with the EH? Just wondering what character they have vs what i have.

11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

biggest difference will be in the signal tubes.

12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Since you never got a response here's mine I've compared the KT77's to repro Tung-Sol, Svetlana/Winged C, and Psvane Phillips Reproduction EL34's and EH 6CA7 fat bottles. To me the KT77 has more tonal color and richness as well as excellent frequency extension compared to those tubes. It really is a revelation to me that a current production tube is this good. I have not heard the Sophia Electrics as they are painfully expensive.

Ontheone likes this.
  13. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

My first tube amp was a Yaqin and the first tubes I rolled were the Gold Lion KT77's and it proved to be a great upgrade. The only caveat is that they have a reputation for dying faster than other Russian and Chinese EL34 counterparts. I got them from eBay from a reputable seller so I think they were of a high grade/rating. If long tube life isn't at the top of your list of what you're looking for then the GL's are worth the cost in my opinion.

My second choice would be the Tungsols, but that's just my preference.

14. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

If you need to warm up an overly bright system, I can recommend the new production Mullard EL34's as your best choice. After trying many new production tubes in my Primaluna power amp, only the Mullards did the job. Fortunately for me they're inexpensive to boot.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  15. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

I've never noticed any change in fidelity regardless of which name brand I've used. I would like to try a quartet of 6ca7s though. The rest of the amp is FETs. I'm not really a tube roller but have used Svetlanas in the past.

16. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Was wondering if anyone can tell the gold lion kt77 reissue on how many getter. if its one or two?

17. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Lot of threads on EL34’s. Although pricey, first choice is usually NOS UK Mullard (not the current Russian). A good alternative would be NOS Siemens / RFT from East Germany, made in the 80’s. Look for the dimple on the top.

Good reading here - Best EL34 tubes

18. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

If money is a concern try the Tung Sol el34's, I've heard good things about them. The kt77's if you're ok with the spend. I have EH 6ca7 tubes that I roll in my ST70 and they're very 'solid state' sounding compared to el34's. The best sounding new production el34 I've tried are the JJ's followed by the new Mullards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.