Click repair question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by earlburtnett, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlburtnett

earlburtnett Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi say you have a record where the ending has a little too much noise than the beginning of the record how do you clean the record at the end of the record?thanks

lenny

scoutbb likes this.
  2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Is the "noise" you're looking to remove mostly "clicks/crackle" or more of a general "hiss" or "roar"?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. earlburtnett

hi its a general distoration..maybe a little of everything..whats "roar"?when I bring it up in facebook they say its a tracking problem but that's wrong..

4. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You might try the "Noise Reduction" effect in Audacity (free). You can treat the entire file or a section of a file. I find that reducing noise on the quiet "head" and "tail" of a track is usually enough to remove the annoyance factor.

5. earlburtnett

hi I use audacity to put the tunes into the computer and no more..thats why I have click repair..i heard the stuff in audacity is crappo..

lenny

6. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Hi Lenny, maybe you could try Apes brain's suggestion above, then you would know whether it'll do what you`re looking for.

It's sometimes a good idea not to believe everything you hear, especially when people are being dismissive of free products such as Audacity.

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Be open to the possibility that what you "heard" may not be true. The Noise Reduction functionality of Audacity is perfectly serviceable. You "train" the effect on a blank area between tracks, and then apply it to whatever areas you want. If you feel the character of the noise changes from track to track, you can "re-train" at any point. Like I said, I'd try just de-noising the head/tails of tracks first to see if adequate.

You might search for "iZotope Music & Speech Cleaner". It's discontinued, but once was a free app offered by this DAW developer that is considered one of the best.

Otherwise, although ClickRepair is not designed to remove wide-band noise, the same developer sells another product for that. Buy it and let us know how things work out.

8. earlburtnett

ok
    whats the name of the product he sells?

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Afraid I usually wind up with a swishing sounding artifact that's more distracting than the surface noise itself when I try to use Audacity. Very occasionally I'll get an acceptable result.

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Sounds like inner groove distortion to me.

kinkling and Leonthepro like this.
  11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Cant fix that.

kinkling and seed_drill like this.
  12. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

I think the key is to be as precise as possible in selecting the minimum length of waveform before and after the clicks.

It's laborious I know, but worth it if you're after pristine needledrops.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I just ran the low pass filter from Sound Studio and got a better result than I did using the Noise Removal on Audacity. I was treating a 45 from 1960 pressed on noisy styrene.

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No, but you can try a different cart or needle and try adjusting the VTA. I was having a lot of good looking records sound bad and finally determined that my OM 40 was worn out.

uzn007 likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

How long was it on? Seems like you would be doing a lot of damage if you could hear it audibly playing bad because of the stylus wear.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Months. Though I doubt any single record got more than one or two plays. I'm guessing it got nicked and was riding too deep in the groove. Weirdly, it was needledrops that really suffered.

17. Leonthepro

Only months? Do you play 10 records a day ;^)
    Had to have be chipped or something, takes most half a year to reach 200 hours even.

seed_drill likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

When you asked how long it was on, I thought you meant how long has the problem been going on! I honestly have no idea how old this stylus is, since I have two of them, one for each deck. But if it's the old one, it's O-L-D. Or it could be chipped.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got a different Click Repair question. Does anyone else's program have a glitch in it that causes it to default to "sum to mono" when they open it? Not every time, but fairly frequently.

20. Leonthepro

Maybe its best to keep track of how many sides its been through.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. ConradH

ConradH Forum Resident

I do pretty much all my processing in Audacity and it's far from crappo. Some types of pops and clicks just don't lend themselves to automatic routines. I expand those and redraw the waveform manually, based on surrounding information. I've used other programs and always come back to Audacity. The signature based noise reduction is excellent if used right. I tend to do things on a track-by-track basis, not the whole LP at once, so differences between the beginning and end don't matter. If you're looking for some fully automated solution, you'll never get as good a result as you could. That said, it usually takes me several hours to fully process an LP to the degree I want.

uzn007 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.