"Who" (2019) - New Who Album Coming 06-Dec-19*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dog Ear

Dog Ear The 2nd Protects The 1st

I saw David Gilmour and Neil Young & Crazy Horse through TM and got their respective CDs in the mail a couple of weeks prior to the concerts as advertised. This Who record mailing is odd in that the US shows are obviously completed. The CDs should be shipped ASAP. I saw The Who back in March 2019 on the first leg of the American tour. Hope I get the CD before March 2020!

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  2. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

The Target buy 2 CD get one free CD
    ends tomorrow for WHO. Even then you have to wait for an online Target text bot to subtract 12.99 manually .... they simply can't keep up.

3. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

We shall see.....

4. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Where'd you see that deal listed? I can't find it on Target's website.

5. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

6. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well I'm going for the Target 14 track exclusive. I'll just pick up the Sand demo later. I'm kinda hoping Sand has a couple modern overdubs, but guessing it probably doesn't.

We all know Townshend's long history of elaborate demo's. Often actual masters in themselves. But sadly SAND was done 12-18 months before he srarted doing the full Monty with drums & the whole 9 yards...1967 demos like Politician show the difference.

Anyway I think it's 26 days & counting !!! Dec 6th....!!!!... I'm betting we'll hear at least 1 song before that. Single #3 or maybe a broadcast on radio or webcast talking about the album....

This is the point where I check in for any news, but otherwise lie low for 2-3 weeks, so I don't go nuts waiting, with nothing new to hear !!.

7. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

"All This Music Must Fade" on Youtube added a couple hundred thousand views just over the last week. There's another fifty thousand or so just since yesterday. I thought maybe it was linked at some popular website recently, but I don't see anything that corroborates that. Maybe Youtube changed an algorithm that makes it show up more often in playlists? Maybe The Who camp or the label are juicing the numbers somehow? Or maybe it's because Rolling Stone picked it as one of their top tracks in their most recent issue. Anyway, it's a killer song that deserves more exposure.

8. johnny moondog 909

If it was the best they had as a single-promo track, its an easy 9/10 on a 1-10 scale. But I suspect there are 1-2 more that rival or surpass it for commercial appeal !!! Of course if not no harm done, but I'm guessing they have at least 1 more ! Heck Detour might be catchier & just as much classic WHO sounding ! But I think there's another one, they think is just as catchy as the superb All This Music Must Fade !!!!

Now if we can get 'somebody' to release the 1964 It Was You WHO recording..it'll be a perfect WHO Christmas-holiday season & year !!!!

Detour ! Detour I need a Detour !

This year's favorite Townshendism---------YAGGERDANG!!!!

9. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

Perhaps, but I can't see any song, no matter how catchy, really breaking through into the mainstream. It's just desperately unlikely that a pair of 70 somethings would gain the kind of general traction that would be required. It's promising from our perspective, but I'd suggest the overall quality of the album might be more important in terms of gaining at least some level of of attention. That has happened before in recent times, certainly. But the reality is that the Who in 2019 is a niche thing, not a general thing. Had a song like ATMMF been released in 1979, then sure, it might well have charted, but it isn't going to now; even if they somehow pulled off the impossible and released the greatest song they'd ever recorded, it just wouldn't register in wider public consciousness - things have just moved on.

Detroit Music Fan and Dog Ear like this.
  10. johnny moondog 909

Tsk tsk tsk ! The 60s were about hope ! Change certainly, rolling power blackouts, nearly year round forest fires, not all the moving on has been positive...but I wasn't trying to specify chart placement, I'd get a big kick personally if a new WHO single charted top 40 in the USA or UK or both...but yes it's about the album...& I think it can cross over to more than just a niche following, it's good it's here & it's them...!!!! Here's hoping Universal-Polydor have some sharp marketing people & deep pockets to push it ! & that the WHO do at least a few Jimmy Fallon or other shows to push !!! I can say with 99% confidence almost no song has hit the main singles charts in 35+ years without a video...so lets go fellas !

11. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

The sixties may have been all about hope, but then in the 70s I was born to absolutely wreck any hope you might have had ;-)

12. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I have to agree, sadly... To break into the mainstream would be extremely unlikely. Equally I really don't care about the 'mainstream' anyway and I suspect neither do Peter and Roger. As long as the album is good, they are pleased with it and we get some moments in there that echo back to the glory days it will do me. So far on the two tracks I've heard so far I'm looking forward at what else is to come. Anyone else though outside of The Who niche won't even be aware a new album is on its way...

13. johnny moondog 909

I know that's ok. But seriously folks...... I was only 9 when the 70s started...but many of us did have POW-MIA bracelets we wore...different times.

But you're talking about marketing, & by the way, this new WHO album will probably have long legs, maybe a 50-100 year shelf life. The way Who's Next or Abbey Road still sell now....so with an iconic band like this, it's not simply the initial sales, but the shelf life, & streams & repackages & so on...BUT the initial sales are at least partly marketing...they are packing in 15,000-20,000 for a regular show & 50,000-100,000 for special Wembley type shows. They have ( most deservedly ) among the biggest & iconic names in rock history ! A big budget & full attention from one of or ( the biggest ) remaining record company, a slew of classic hits....only a handful of names in rock history, Beatles, Dylan, Stones, Elvis are on this high plateau.....and only 12 times in 55 years have they issued a studio album...this will be the 12th...that is. By all accounts is really good, their best since WHO By Numbers in 75, or maybe even better than that...

Along with a music video(s), various promotion, continued select concerts, several select tv appearances, word of mouth, 'some airplay' ( within reason ) the professionals at the label, their msnagement etc should be able to sell this album, & see a rise in catalogue album sales, & probably a live album of the recent tour....providing a bit of a boost for Townshend's solo album & musical in 2020-21.

This is many professional's job to sell this & they should be able too....If you ask younger people into classic rock type stuff, they usually like Beatles, WHO, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Stones, Dylan, The Doors....AND THIS SHOULD BE A BIG DEAL....Perhaps the last or one of the last good or great albums from a classic rock icon...

Sure McCartney is a great artist & Dylan...but this is one of the original iconic groups & they're delivering one more time !!! If the marketing & management people can't deliver a million sales & stream equivelant in the first 12-18 months, something is wrong. A piece of rock & cultural history from The WHO ! For just $12-16 Bucks ! C'MON

Make people aware of this album & it'll sell....they need some 45-60 second commercials on tv ! I've seen these type of ads in recent years for McCartney & other classic acts....but you only see it a few times for a few weeks....make people aware of this album, make a tight informative commercial..that also includes a couple audio clips & this will sell....and Universal has pull with radio...push hard spend some dough, Get at least 1 song in rotation for at least a month. THE WHO !!!

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm definitely one of those. I have not heard any of the new songs at all, intentionally have avoided them. I want to hear the whole album at once, on my stereo system, when it comes out,, as nature intended o_O

15. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Nothing would please me more if you end being right here, but I just can't see it. Even the current tour isn't really promoting the new album so even The Who don't seem to be thinking along these lines. The vast majority of the audience going to these shows are there to hear the classics from the 60's and 70's, not anything off the new album. Sure there will be a reasonable amount of hardcore fans there wanting to hear some new stuff and deepcuts but when a 50 year old band is selling out 15k to 20k arenas they need to pander to the masses not the hardcore...

However, nothing would please me more to be proved wrong and be eating some humble pie a couple of months from now.

16. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Townshend stated this weekend in an Irish newspaper - that he expects sales of 100,000. I believe that is a reasonable goal.

18. Shoeshine

Shoeshine Senior Member

I was just reading that to get into the UK top 40 albums chart, around 4,000 sales are needed. Seems pretty likely they'd do rather better than that, surely.

Oddly enough, there have been instances of fans being sufficiently organised to game the charts and end up creating a big hit out of nowhere. But I rather suspect Who fans are far too grumpy, curmudgeonly and downright obstreperous to even consider it!

19. johnny moondog 909

Yes sure it is. Depending what somebody means..worldwide or North America, UK ? And first month sales, or first 12 months, ? It's too vague to endorse it or disagree ! Besides the fact, we are only guessing what kind of sales it will get ! Based on similar type acts in recent years, the decline of record-cd sales in general, the WHO's past sales in more recent years. ( Which is tough to gauge ). Because it's only the 2nd modern Who studio album since 1982 ! Or to gauge reaction of this particular batch of songs-recordings.

I'm no WHO expert or expert on recent trends, sales, popularity of rock music etc.

A few things are obvious, rock-pop music on the whole, is a whole lot diminshed, in it's importance to the average person, young person, or even rock fans...in 1975 say.....many people in the USA, UK, Europe, & elsewhere, would've told you, especially teens & 20 somethings, & 30 somethings & beyond, that popular music, the records, bands, concerts, were one of the more important things in their lives. Not nearly as much in today's world.

We could debate the reasons, lesser quality music, or its all been done already, or just more choices in today's world, or piracy-streaming, different mentality...whatever caused pop music to rise & in recent years, fall so far down..

But certain names still ring a bell & strike a chord with millions...Beatles, WHO, Stones, etc etc...

Individual projects still do incredibly well from time to time. The Beach Boys reunion album & tour of 2012...The Beatles 94-95 reunion, & subsequent remasters & now remixes...

This album WHO seems to be very very good according to most reviews & people that've heard it..

Look at all the Septugenarians in perhaps the biggest movie of the last few years. The Irishman on Netflix...production & promotion costs running to $200 million dollars...and they expect to recoup, profit & then some over at netflix...De Niro is 76, Pacino is 79, etc etc...

For somewhere around $15 bucks, you can buy a good new WHO album recorded in 2019 ! Doors can't do it, Beatles can't do it, Hendrix can't do it...But the WHO have !!! Just let people know !!!!

No it will never impact young people, society, art like Tommy or Sergeant Pepper's, but WHY ? Shouldn't it do very well ? Outside of people like us, I don't think most people are even aware what's happening ! Tell them !!!!

Detour ! Detour ! I need a Detour !

20. Bomber1

Bomber1 Official Who

Endless Wire did 81,000. That was released at the start of a tour. WHO will be released at Christmas and on the heels of a completed & highly successful tour. The singles are stronger. The are actual videos on youtube. The marketing push has been far greater. It's being released in more formats as well. In 2014 Roger and Wilko's LP debuted at #3 and went on to UK Gold. Some things to consider. 100,000 is reasonable but more is certainly possible.......

21. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Sure, there is no denying that more sales is possible, I was merely commenting on what Townshend himself said to an Irish newspaper.

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I read "The Age of Anxiety" over the weekend. As it went on I suspected there might be a direct tie-in to "All This Music Must Fade", but I can't say that I can draw one. One of the characters (who has a spiritual revelation while hang gliding during the making of a film, clearly based on Daltrey in "Tommy" with the revelation part thrown in) does drop out of music making - long gone and never coming back - but other pieces don't match up. Another character creates his life's masterwork anticipating a muted response - he knew they were gonna hate this song - but again, other pieces don't match up. Needless to say I'm more excited than ever to hear the album to see what may have been inspired by "Age of Anxiety"/"Floss". The Floss character, by the way, is oddly underwritten. She is the least developed major character in the novel so I'm not sure how she was ever to be the title character.

23. johnny moondog 909

Hero Ground Zero is said to be a central part of Anxiety. At least the musical part of it.

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Hero Ground Zero is the name of the band that one of the central characters leads.

25. johnny moondog 909

At Midnight it will be just 24 days until release ! You know we'll get at least some kind of preview, of clips, songs, info, at least a couple days prior. Unless it's different from nearly every similar release !

Either way 24 days !!! 24-23-22 yippee !

Phil147 likes this.