Bryan Ferry And Other Music Faves.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ForeverAmber, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Picked up his all - Dylan disc ' Dylanesque'.
    It's alright for what is but not too exciting.

Karnak likes this.
  2. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I feel that this song would have been regarded as a masterpiece if it had ended up on a Roxy album and not one of his solo ones. Fantastic orchestrations as it goes on:

3. Wildest cat from montana

That album is woefully underrated.

4. ForeverAmber

ForeverAmber Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since joining this forum Ive learnt a lot about my favourite singers and musicians. Its not enough to just listen and watch my well loved artists and musicians and taking in so much excellent input has given me another perspective on the wonderful world of music and other Threads out there have grabbed me and drawn me in

5. As I recall the video was directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down)

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. The great lost Roxy Music album. The only person missing (either previous or future Roxy members) is Andy Mackey.

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Bryan's 2018 album is a masterpiece.

"Reason or Rhyme"

* again, another instance where mp3 limited audio fidelity does no justice to a brilliant sonic work of art. Do yourself a massive favour and buy the CD for a glorious experience beyond magnificence.
    You won't regret it for a minute.

Quiet American likes this.
  8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

9. Wildest cat from montana

Is Eno on this ?

10. Crimson Witch

no escaping it, Boys and Girls ..
    the man is an artistic genius

11. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Roxy & BF have remained a preference of mine since their arrival on the scene during 1972...

With that said These Foolish Things & The Bride Stripped Bare are my favorite BF solo records...

Welcome to SHF

12. samthesham

I dig Bryans cover but I must say I disagree with greatest, my vote for #1 best Dylan cover is a tie...

Johnny Winter / Highway 61 Revisited (1969)

Manfred Mann's Earth Band / Please Mrs. Henry (1972)

Honorable mention: Maria Muldaur's all Dylan covers record The Love Songs Of Bob Dylan is essential listening as well...

Now back on topic

13. Crimson Witch

the way Bryan has brought pre-war jazz back to life in this way, to me, is nothing short of astoundingly brilliant. I only wish my dear, sweet grandparents were still alive to hear this .. they'd be so thrilled to Dance Away ..

14. Crimson Witch

one of the things that is so magnificent about this project of Bryan's is the authenticity of the arrangements and orchestration .. previously one had to resort to the old 78 rpm shellacs and listen through the ambiance of 1930s sound-reproduction technology - at best, as good as the digital age has been capable of its restoration, in order to hear this music in its native form. Here, we get not just a pastiche but a full-on re-creation of the form in all its luxuriant colour and texture with the full benefit of state-of-the-art. I always knew Bryan Ferry was a musical hero of mine. As of 2018, he has cemented his legendary status as the man who has captured the essence and substance of an early 20th century music form and a piece of history through a work of genius deserving of international honours in artistic achievement. The Hugo Boss award would be a deserving recognition, imo.

Bryan, if you are reading this .. all I can say is thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  15. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

In Your Mind is my favorite Bryan Ferry album. I saw his 1977 tour with Manzanera, Thompson and Wetton in the lineup. Chris Spedding was outstanding on lead guitar.

Bryan Ferry - In Your Mind

16. samthesham

:righton:

ForeverAmber likes this.
  17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Excellent performance. Boggles the mind why this stiff isn’t properly issued/reissued.

ForeverAmber and The MEZ like this.
  18. No we're talking later Roxy Music. Eno did eventually appear on later Ferry albums (including co-writing one with Ferry) but not this early. Curiously, Ferry played tennis with Bowie and they would share ideas so I do have to wonder if the idea of working with Eno might have originated there (Bowie's covers album, as I recall, did when Ferry revealed he was doing one although his more of a concept album than a covers album).

19. Wildest cat from montana

20. ForeverAmber

Thank you for your Smiley and such positive posts make the Boards a nice place to be to a newbie learning to swim in the vast sea of cyberspace and a huge forum.:cool:

21. ForeverAmber

Great vids and comments, folks :righton:

22. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

Great video, don't think I've seen it before. Thanks for posting.

Bruso likes this.
  23. Bruso

Bruso Designated survivor

There’s also a 45-minute video from that concert on YouTube you probably would enjoy. Btw, 801 is an old favorite. All those Roxy side projects from that time are golden in my book.

24. THE801

THE801 Forum Resident

Great, I'll look for the video later thanks. Roxy Music were my first "favourite" band back in their early days and like you say the side projects are well worth looking out.

25. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Hey ForeverAmber, you ever heard this super rare b-side? It’s incredible (and features a Fripp solo to boot)

OneStepBeyond and Record Rotator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.