The Rolling Stones : ( Definitely Not ) Sucking in the Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Long ago The Rolling Stones released a compilation album titled ' Sucking in the Seventies '
    It seemed a very hodge-podge mixed bag of 70s material. Some great stuff , some not so great. A strange collection to be sure. And it could have been much better.
    But that's not what this thread is about.
    necessarily.
    I'd like to discuss the Stones output during this particular decade...all the way from ' Get Yer Ya Yas Out' through to ' Some Girls ' , an incredible run of albums with many highs and a few lows.
    Doesn't have to be in any chronological order.

2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Great thread!!

I love every Stones record from the Seventies. Looking back some 40 years later, their music definitely has improved with age. Even overlooked albums such as Emotional Rescue and Love You Live.

My favorite record as of this moment is Goats Head Soup. Always love to turn up “Silver Train” or “Heartbreaker”. Even “Angie” is nice to hear

roger87, ArpMoog, The MEZ and 13 others like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Sticky Fingers": A
    "Exile": A+
    "GHS": C-
    "IORR": C
    "B&B": C+
    "SG": A-

There's my acronym heavy analysis! :D

4. Wildest cat from montana

[QUOTE="Cryptical17, post: 22524823, member: 102146"

My favorite record as of this moment is Goats Head Soup. Always love to turn up “Silver Train” or “Heartbreaker”. Even “Angie” is nice to hear[/QUOTE]

Whaddaya mean " even Angie is nice to hear "? ' Angie is great to hear! "Angie, I still love you baby!"
    Oh !I forgot ' Emotional Rescue ' was indeed a 70s album. In my head it's 80s.

905, enro99, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Whaddaya mean " even Angie is nice to hear "? ' Angie is great to hear! "Angie, I still love you baby!"
    Oh !I forgot ' Emotional Rescue ' was indeed a 70s album. In my head it's 80s.[/QUOTE]

"ER" came out in 1980 = 1980s album!

And "Angie" is the worst! :hurl:

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^ Horses for courses, I love "Angie" and it sounded great this year live on the b-stage

Emotional Rescue came out in early 1980 but all the recording for it took place in 1978 & '79

There's some acknowledgement of this on SitS with the inclusion of "If I Was a Dancer (Dance Part Two)" a recording from those sessions on a Seventies-branded compilation

7. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I’ve always considered Emotional Rescue a 70s record. Most of the album was recorded in 77-79

8. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I love It's Only Rock & Roll much more than any post-Between The Buttons album. Ain't Too Proud To Beg is miles ahead of the Temptations original, and Time Waits For No One may well be their masterpiece.

:hide:

(Oh, and though I really don't like most of Black & Blue, I have a soft spot for Hand Of Fate.)

9. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

That's a great way to do it.

I will use the same!

"Exile": A+...agree with you 100%!

"GHS": I'm going B-, but I am a fan boy. I take points off for Angie, then add them back for "Heartbreaker." The rest is a Stones album, so me happy.

"IORR": B- again. Points off for "It's Only Rock and Rock," the song.

"B&B": I will drift...A++. This is one of my top favorite Stones album. Be sure to set this album going on a good Hi Fi rig and just soak in the greatness from the first drum smack on "Hot Stuff." There is a Japanese SACD of this album that is spectacular. Give it another chance! :cool:

"SG": A...solid from start to finish...even the slight disco odor on Miss You is good.

10. Oatsdad

"Hand of Fate" is what makes "B&B" memorable. IMO, it's easily the best song they did between "Exile" and "SG".

The rest of the album is spotty...

11. Oatsdad

You didn't rate "Sticky Fingers!" :tsk:

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

"Sticky Fingers": A-
    "Exile": B-
    "GHS": B+
    "IORR": A+
    "B&B": C
    "SG": A

Exile is not a great album but has some great songs, Tumbling Dice is a top 5 track for sure, and Plundered My Soul from the re-issue is pure magic. Black and Blue fizzles after the first two killer tracks. It's Only Rock N Roll is clearly their 70's masterpiece.

13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Yes, never thought of this one as a 80s record. It sounds very 70s. It's got disco plus a lot of that raw punk-ish energy they displayed on Some Girls (some of it is outtakes from Some Girls, right?) Either way, great album that's still worth a spin today. :agree:

14. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I love them all with "Goats Head Soup" and "It's Only Rock and Roll" being the lesser of the bunch. "Emotional Rescue" is fantastic in my opinion. "Dance" is a great party song. :pineapple:

bonus, footlooseman, Suncola and 3 others like this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I think all the actual recording (except maybe some final mix/mastering touches) actually happened in Paris & Nassau in 1979, though they did a LOT of woodshedding/kicking around those songs during the 1978 Some Girls sessions. Are they therefore 'outtakes', I dunno, this is muddy, some of Sticky Fingers and Exile date back to the '60s also... are those records 'outtakes'?

16. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Ya Ya - A
    SF - A
    Exile - A
    GHS - B
    IORR - B-
    B&B - C
    SG = A

GHS is the woulda coulda album. My issues with it?

- Mr. D a poor choice for opener
    - At times awful lyrics
    - Affected vocal delivery
    - Keith half comatose
    = No Taylor solo on Coming Down Again
    - Inclusion of garbage (Can You Hear the Music)

17. Oatsdad

IMO, if the album is presented by the new release from a working band, its release date is its release date.

"ER" is a 1980s album because it came out in 1980.

I wouldn't view "Smile" as a 2011 album but it was an abandoned project.

"ER" wasn't some album left for dead and released decades later.

It's an 80s album, dagnabbit! :D

Rojo, vonwegen and 2141 like this.
  18. William Abely

William Abely Forum Resident

“Some Girls” captures the decadence of late 70’s New York better than any other music.

It is a great response to both punk and disco..

19. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

What's to be said? They are my favorite band and I love everything they did in the '70s (and every decade). It was a time of experimentation, as Mick and Keith were like sponges and when they heard a new style of music they liked they could easily incorporate it into their own songwriting and come out with a Stonesy take on reggae or funk or disco or punk while always retaining their own identity. A lot was happening musically in the '70s and I think the Stones remained a strong commercial force all through the decade due to (particularly) Mick's savvy as both an artist and a business man. He certainly kept the band going during the deepest part of Keith's addiction. And Keith went to the edge of hell and came back, always my favorite.

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out: One of the greatest live albums of the classic rock era. Listening to this one on headphones is my favorite way to enjoy it. Mick Taylor was such a sensational player and the way he plays with Keith on this album is magnificent. I love the heavy Chuck Berry covers.

Sticky Fingers: A perfect record. The Stones at their most confident. They were on top of the world, they knew it, and they produced an album of nothing but incredible, well-written, well-performed rock 'n roll, blues, country and soul. As intelligent and emotional as it is kick-ass and fun.

Exile on Main St.: For me, the greatest album ever recorded by anyone. My favorite album of them all. The pinnacle. Stunning. I love every single track--every single note--with all my heart. An encyclopedia of everything that makes music, particularly American music, riveting and wonderful and real.

Goats Head Soup: The brilliant comedown after the party. I think highly underrated and deserving to be in the same breath as the four studio records that preceded it. The ballads are the highlights for me--rich, earthy, druggy, sad, moving--with that gauzy, swampy feel. 'Coming Down Again' is the lament for all lost. One of their most deeply human records.

It's Only Rock 'n Roll: Keith is somewhere else but the rest of the band ably produces a decadent and enjoyable record full of lost gems. 'Till the Next Goodbye' has long been a favorite of my father and me. Taylor soars on 'Time Waits for No One.' 'Fingerprint File' is killer. A loose stop-gap and, again, better than it gets credit for.

Metamorphosis: Released without permission but full of gems all the same, especially the rippers on side two.

Black and Blue: One of the best groove records in my collection. Perfect for the summer. Heavy, hypnotic, sly, sensual, glammy. The band auditions guitarists and the album is just plain fun. Mick's lyrics are by turns tender (Memory Motel, Fool to Cry) and filthy-dark. A great guitar record. Excellently produced as well.

Love You Live: Worth it for the incredibly tight, fiercely performed greasy side 3 alone. A great snapshot of the period.

Some Girls: Glorious filth. Hedonistic, sleazy, stylish, trashy, irreverent masterpiece. New York in 1978. Keith is revived wholly intact and the ancient art of guitar weaving is reborn anew.

Throw in the bonus discs for Exile on Main St. and Some Girls from the deluxe editions to make things truly special, plus b-sides indicative of the period from the heart-stopping Berry of 'Let It Rock' to the weary atmosphere of 'Through the Lonely Nights' to the decadence of 'Everything is Turning to Gold.' The Rolling Stones in the '70s were a glittering, malevolent, freewheeling, sexy, aggressive, hedonistic good time. But they were also warm and real and soulful and full of woe and reality, singing their blues and pouring their hearts out. The World's Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band now and forever for me.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I get where you're coming from and ordinarily I'd agree. With the Stones however, it's always murky. Were they really a 'working band' in 1980? Aside from a single month of recording at the end of the year (for finishing songs that ended up on Tattoo You) and a couple of forgettable promo video shoots, they didn't do anything in the year 1980

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Love Sticky Fingers and Exile, like Some Girls and Black and Blue but the other two? Well, I like "Dance Little Sister", "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" and "Time Waits for No One" on It's Only Rock 'n' Roll as well as "Star Star" and "Heartbreaker" on Goat's Head Soup.

22. Oatsdad

Yeah, they were fully a "working band" as that concept existed in the late 70s/early 80s.

By that time, lotsa bands were slowing down from the pace they'd pursued over earlier years. Artists didn't need to put out 1-2 albums a year and tour constantly anymore.

IMO, the Stones were a functioning "working band" through 1982. After that it gets off the rails.

Based on their patterns, they should've toured in 1984 but they didn't. Mick put out a solo album and we got the half-hearted "Dirty Work" before the band essentially broke up.

The "working Stones" of 1980 was different than the "working Stones" of 1970, but they were still a band without any signs that'd change...

PIGGIES likes this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There were warning signs in 1980 that they were not really a coherent unit anymore. No tour dates at all being one of them. Only three of them showed up at the press launch for the album in London, and Charlie didn't make it to the New York launch...

24. Oatsdad

Why would they have toured in 1980? Given their pattern, 1981 was the more logical tour - and they did an extensive 1981-82 tour...

enro99 and 2141 like this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Two bold statements , sir !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.