The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Thank you SO much!! Safe travels!

2. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

My SC-2 is running SugarCube 2.0-966-gd2a3e7da-20191006-0520-prod+sc2beta what is the newest version number?

Strat-Mangler and marblesmike like this.
  3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted several audio clips in two different postings of before and after processing along with just the clicks and pops near the start of this thread. All of those files remain available to be listened to via the links.

Dane Argentini and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

See my post No. 929 in this thread. The click repair processing occurs in the digital domain and can be set and output at any level you like or feel the LP transfer warrants. If you have underestimated the required click repair processing you can export the files again at a higher repair level until you get it to your satisfaction. Once the files are held in the memory of the SC-2 you can play around with them as much as you like until you delete them from memory.
    As far as export formats, you have a choice of WAV, FLAC, MP3, AAC, ALAC, AIFF - 16 bit, 24 bit - 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz. So pretty comprehensive, unless you were looking for DSD.

Dane Argentini and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

I completely agree that the Sugar Cube will do all of this. The question is whether the additional functions of the Sugar Cube that convert the vinyl analog signal to a digital signal (either their ADC alone, or their phono preamp feeding their ADC) are as competitive with the components that I already have for these purposes.

I tend to play with low output moving coil cartridges, and I am a bit picky about my phono input stage. Whether using a step-up transformer / phono preamp combination, or a dedicated LOMC preamp, I would at least prefer to compare my current setup to the integrated Sweet Vinyl functionalities. And I can do this for these "vinyl" functionalities.

There is an additional process that is currently problematic. Anyone who is serious about ripping analog to digital should be more concerned about the ADC process than the DAC side. Getting a better DAC for playback won't matter if the ADC isn't as good or better. The lack of concern over the ADC process is a bit confusing to me. There is a ton of debate over the numerous DAC products and implementations, about how some are great and some aren't. The same concerns aren't evident on the ADC side. If I want to use a Sugar Cube I currently can't get away from using their ADC.

As I noted above, if all you want is immediate, cleaner audio output from a noisy record, then Sugar Cube does it. At present you know the "less than perfect" record is improved by eliminating bothersome pops and clicks. What I want is the best digital capture possible, with the ability to utilize noise reduction as part of the capture process when it is required. In effect I'm hoping for an automated Sweet Vinyl module with capabilities (and none of the learning curve) of Pro Tools with the Cedar plug-ins.

I usually output DSD into my DAC, but storing music in a high-res FLAC format is fine. I like what Sweet Vinyl does in the digital domain, hence my desire for a "digital only" noise reduction unit.

6. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

I agree with you 100%.

It was mentioned by Sweet Vinyl upthread that they use AKM ADCs. I purchased my SC-2 during the initial Indiegogo crowdfunding and at that time they had the full spec of the unit on the Crowdfunding page including the make and model of the ADC. Unfortunately I don't recall the exact model number of the AKM ADC, but I do recall at the time looking it up on the AKM website and noting that it was AKM's then top of the range model. Only Sweet Vinyl can confirm as to what actually made it into the machine (or of course someone can look under the hood). But I would think that given user reports of excellent transparency to the original vinyl source that SV have indeed utilised a quality ADC and implemented it very well. Whether it is better/worse than your current set up, only you would be able to judge.

7. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

From what you've described, you're going to want maximum flexibility, so you're likely looking at an SC-2 or SC-2 Mini. From what I've read, they actually store the raw capture in the unit, and then allow you to re-produce the capture over & over, with your selected amount of processing. I would assume once you find the optimal amount, you can export the file, using those settings.

In the end, though, you may find that you're better off doing your own captures and then post-processing. It may be that any outside system is not going to be customizable enough to fit what you're looking for...

- Kevin

8. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

The new Sugar Cubes series were updated with the latest versions of the premium AKM AD/DA converters according to Sweet Vinyl.

9. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

There is no/little concern because the Sugarcube has a true analogue bypass so you can compare it directly to the ADC/DAC stages and nobody is reporting any issues? Certainly I cannot tell the difference between true bypass and the ADC/DAC stages in my setup. So, personally, I'm 100% happy with the ADC and am only concerned then with how best to capture the digital signal.

926am likes this.
  10. Joel Cairo

A nice update from Dan should be hitting everyone's email boxes...!

- Kevin

Ben Adams likes this.
  11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

So there's a newsletter? How do you sign up?

12. Joel Cairo

I think this email was also posted as an update on the Indiegogo site... you might check there.

- Kevin

13. Joel Cairo

I was mistaken abut the Indiegogo update, but here's the portion of the day's email that pertains to the SC-1 Plus...:

*******************************************************************************

"The next step we are doing on our hardware development is to finish the bring up of the SC-1 – Plus motherboards so we can do a test production run. We still need to fully test the board and develop the rest of the firmware and software to fully support the ADC/DAC integration with a PC.

The ADC/DAC integration lets you plug into the USB port (B) on the backpanel with your PC and/or Music Server and treat the SugarCube as an ADC or a DAC – thereby capturing the digitized stream into a program like Audacity – or playing your digital files on the SugarCube in your system.

Our schedule allows time to fully test and burn in each unit and get them packaged for shipment and coordinate with our backers to make sure they are able to get delivery.

At this point we are trying have a qualified hardware design to do a test production run at the end of November. And if we can keep with that schedule we will plan to have the rest of the software and firmware in place in early December and ship your unit before Christmas.

We will be checking in with you on this at the end of November.

Best,

-Dan"

******************************************************************************

Should be a nice addition to Santa's list...!

- Kevin

clhboa likes this.
  14. SweetVinyl

SweetVinyl Forum Resident

Just to let you all know - the 2.0 update is rolling out now to SC-1s. It will take place according to an algorithm and takes three weeks to let everyone update. You will need to leave your unit on every once in a while to see if the update takes - and for sure in three weeks. We are also rolling an update to the SC-2 2.0 software according to the same schedule. Tomorrow I will try to post the version numbers for each of these builds.

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It will show a notification on the screen once updated, am I correct? Will the notification only vanish once the unit is used to process a signal again?

16. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

Holding the Bypass button will also bring up the new version number to check the update.

17. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. Mines on all the time, do I have to power cycle it to check for a remote update?

18. SweetVinyl

Here are the first 6 digits of the next release for the SC-1:

SC-1 version 2.0-999 (released Sunday 11/10)

Here are the first 6 digits of the next release for the SC-2:
    SC-2 version 2.0-1010 (to be released tomorrow, Tuesday, 11/12)

The units check in each time they are turned on when connected to a network and if the server has an update it will push it to the unit - the unit will wait for no audio present for 1.5 hours - then update itself. You should not have to do anything but occasionally a device will need to be powered down and turned back on. If the unit is left on it will also check once a day.

By pressing and holding bypass you will see the display show the version number it is running, if you have a previous version the unit has not been selected to update. This rolls out slowly at first and then speeds up - and after three weeks all the units should be updated.

Mintsauce and keiron99 like this.
  19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Thanks again, looks like I’ll be in the second batch based on the SN.

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Does the current running version show up anywhere in the app?

21. frans callebaut

frans callebaut Well-Known Member

and what about we in europe ?

HairyWeimer likes this.
  22. SweetVinyl

Those 6 digits are the first 6 significant digits of the update OS version - to know when you are updated.

23. SweetVinyl

The internet does not know the difference - so the algorithm is blind to location.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  24. SweetVinyl

I dont think it is visible in the app right now - but with 2.0 there are some backdoors to get into the webview and see the new menus that have this and other additions that will be in the new app after 2.0. Also if you use a chrome browser you can see a way to manually check for updates, get your version number and restart, etc..

25. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

First time trying SC-1 mini. ))
    Finally home and plugged unit in. That was easy, did not connect to internet yet )).
    I have nice first UK press of Thin Lizzy "Chinatown" (I know that some people hate this record, not me). It is beat up in a bad way - scratches galore, clicking and poping all the time.
    Plugged in processor loop of my RP-5. Set "strenght" to 4.
    Man, all clicks and pops are really gone, at least to a point of not being audible. Finally I can enjoy it so much more. The difference is huge.
    If you put a gun to my head I would say that some "shimmering" at the very top is tiny lower, but only if you trying very hard to compare, and not sure it is real.
    Other then that - sound is pretty much identical. Looks like 4 is pretty enough.
    Nothing which would tell me "buddy, I am digital".
    So far I am very impressed. Can't wait for some quet "non perfect" records.
    Will connect to network later today.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019