What Is The Exact Number Of Band Members To Make A Great Band?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thunderman, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I have to say that for being in a "bar band" that wants to bring a decent amount of quality and stil see the members make at least some money, four is the sweet spot. One of the band members sings lead, and there is EITHER a rhythm guitar or keys, along with lead guitar, bass and drums.

2. Thunderman

Thunderman Forum Resident Thread Starter

3 isn't bad. There are some really great trios that existed -- Nirvana, The Jam, The Sex Pistols (Sid contributed nothing)...but as pointed out, three requires a great deal of work from the members. You really have to fill a lot of holes. That's why four is the right answer.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  3. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

The Rolling Stones seem to have worked out fairly well.

Hammerpeg and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  4. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

These folks said "About 100"

[​IMG]

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What if you pick a good band for the example, though?

(Just being silly --that is, just following suit with you)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The question of course has no answer. So many examples of one person bands that work. And huge bands that tear it up. Whatever works. I mean what would, The Flatlanders, be without the electric saw? Trio's seem to work well for stripped down.

Four can be cool. Especially when they are musically deficient like the beatles. They needed the extra member on rhythm guitar to fake it live. But, when you have three great musicians like in Creem you don't need the rhythm guitar. In the beatles case totally necessary. But if you are a good enough musician one is enough. And many great musicians like Bob Wills or Cold Blood create a symphony of sound without the studio fakery and trickery of the beatles fifth member George Martin.

7. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

That’s what’s right for the Beatles. For others, the number is incredibly varied.

Parliament-Funkadelic couldn’t do it right with any number less than 10. Cream needed 3. Out of all Jack White’s bands, the White Stripes with 2 was best. Springsteen and E Street were very arguably best at 7 or 8. Ginger Baker needed about 14 for his Air Force. Miles Davis was awfully fond of quintets, but IMO, he did some of his most mind-blowing work with 7. The Stones live were either best at 5 or 8-9 depending on your view of what their live nadir was, and on record, they needed anywhere from 20 to 24 people to get it right, plus an entire choir.

Four worked for the Beatles, Zep, The Who, the Ramones and U2, but it’s very far from being the perfect number for every band.

8. Thunderman

But The Stones would have been more successful if they had 4. You really can't argue against that.
    Beatles 4 = biggest band ever
    Stones 5 = always in The Beatles' shadow

5 band members is only good for the band's name. The Jackson Five sounds a lot better than The Jackson Four.

9. Thunderman

Yes, it does. The answer is 4.

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

11. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

12. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

I've seen P-Funk with up to 20 members onstage. And, no matter whom one likes musically, the fact is that they, or the original Allman Brothers with 6 members, (to name just two bands), would quite literally blow the Beatles off any stage they were on. The "Fab Four" would be reduced to a quivering & whimpering mass of sweat by either of those bands.

13. Thunderman

Not really. I have seen Springsteen shows where he has four guitar players on one song. It is absurd.

14. Minimum: 2
    Maximum: 5

15. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

This is either a genius troll or the stupidest Beatles thread yet. And that's sayin' something.

16. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Why bother asking the question, if every answer except 4 is wrong? Why not just make your grand statement, proclaim it as law, and continue to rule the world?

17. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

Three.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  18. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

Four is a little much, but Patti needs to do something when she’s not singing. Besides, I thought you liked the number 4.

19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Five

Tenor / Alto Sax
    Trumpet
    Piano
    Bass
    Drums

Suncola and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  20. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

You live under a bridge, don't you.

21. Cool hand luke

Whoa whoa whoa so then you just need one guy with an acoustic, and that rocks harder than 2 guitars, bass, and drums and piano? But if you took away the piano then it would rock harder than the acoustic demo?

22. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Four might be the answer if there were only one great band, but there are a lot, and some have two, three, five or more members. Since there is no exact number, whoever else is wrong the t/c definitely is.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  23. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy."

I don't think there is an exact number of members to make a great band. Not all bands are created equal you know.

24. Cool hand luke

Did you take your meds today?

25. Thunderman

I did do that. I posed the question in the first post and then answered it. This thread should really just have one post in it. Mine.

TGH7 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.