Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Especially It's Only Love.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

"I Really Don't Want To Know" and "Little Sister" are the two cuts I enjoy on this album.

RSteven and mark winstanley like this.
  3. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I think they got the box set right. (Although I wish they would follow it up with alternative mono/stereo/singles/ERS mixes in a sequel box set). They ommited this from the Albums set as well as the Complete Masters set. I do wish that they would give the album a FTD issue. This was an official release and as legitimate as many of the soundboard recordings that they have featured.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I love the Rca Album Box .... but I think the limitation to 60 discs was a poor decision. I know 60 albums - 60 years sounds cool and everything, but Personally I think it was to constrictive.
    I reckon they should have had the albums they did, +
    1cd of the fifties material left over
    1 cd of the sixties material left over
    1 cd of the seventies material left over
    - rather than having those tracks stuck at the back of some album, in almost a mystery style
    I actually think Elvis In Concert should have been in there ... and perhaps a couple of the other oddity albums we went through.

I think for the most part they got it right, but I think they limited themselves by the disc restriction

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I agree. I love that box tremendously but the bonus tracks spoil it a tad for me.

Oh and... and... Bah! I tried to bite my lip and not mention it... but crikey why the **** did they put the wrong master of 'I Want to be Free' on the 'A Date with Elvis' CD? I can almost give them the single over the album version of 'Doncha think its time' on Gold Records 2 but I mean jeez these are put together by the curators of the Elvis catalogue and yet not one of them knew the difference!? They managed on the FTD!! Holy 'poop' it annoyed me. Phew! Sorry for that, I need a lie down. Normal service will resume presently... :D

croquetlawns, Matthew and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I always enjoyed the high notes he does at the very end. Holding that final note, going up three notches. Kind of a fitting farewell, even though it's not actually from the last show

RSteven likes this.
  7. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

The boxset was specifically 60 discs to commemorate 60 years of Elvis being on RCA (1956-2016)

8. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Here's a nitpicker; the 1970 version of Something included on disc 60 is the 2014 remix from the TTWII - Deluxe Edition, featuring the "ho-ot-damn" ad-lib, rather than the vintage 1970 mix that was included on the TTWII FTD and Complete Masters box-set, which fades that ad-lib out as an album-ready master.

9. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I always felt that "anniversary" link was a bit of a stretch.

Anyone remember the "55th anniversary" of Elvis' debut album = Young Man With The Big Beat. Funny.

EternalReturn likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

My understanding is that the soundtrack for EIC was not confirmed at the time of his death. I could be wrong and it could have been on RCA’s internal release schedule, but IIRC, Jarvis didn’t even begin work on it until after Elvis passed away.

That said, it is more than likely that Parker would have green-lighted the soundtrack had Elvis lived to comply with Elvis’ annual album requirements. Nevertheless, I view this soundtrack very much as a posthumous project, particularly because there are conflicting reports as to whether the EIC special was going to proceed as planned prior to Elvis’ death.

Dave112, Matthew and Shawn like this.
  11. mark winstanley

I did kinda mention that

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

I don't even remember that post lol
    I was thinking... that wasn't me

When In Rome likes this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Elvis was signed to RCA in November of 1955, so even the 60th anniversary moniker was not correct! RCA even re-released all 5 Sun singles on their label in 1955. And the Popsie photos on the back of the album were from a promotional photo session from 1955. So, this box set really is a 61 year anniversary.

croquetlawns and mark winstanley like this.
  14. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Haha, yep, just checked, looks like in the edit it changed the quote attribution you instead of When In Rome, who was replying to one of your posts.

Oops!

When In Rome and mark winstanley like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

That was my biggest issue with the set (in addition to some questionable mastering on some recordings); I really hated that the producers stuck singles and other odds and ends on the tail-end of various albums. I completely agree that a couple of odds and ends discs should have simply been compiled. Oh well, that topic/box set has been discussed in-depth on other threads.

When In Rome and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

It's all good, just made me laugh .... and also wonder if the senility was now in full bloom lol

When In Rome likes this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hmm. I'm curious, who are the sources that suggest it was not going to proceed? I hadn't heard that. It seems unlikely to me it would have been cancelled, because the contracts were in place and it was a sunk cost as far as the Colonel was concerned, so he would want to recoup his investment.

I do think it's likely that it would have been a single LP if Elvis had lived, given the quality of the material and the likely reaction the show would have provoked. But again, to me it's as valid as Joplin's Pearl or Gram Parsons' Grievous Angel albums. A project that was in the works when a performer dies is valid in a way that a show released two decades later or a collection of unfinished outtakes is not.

18. PacificOceanBlue

CBS was stuck with the Omaha and Rapid City footage after the tapings, with most of Omaha unusable. There were rumors for years suggesting CBS considered additional concert tapings in the fall to attempt to capture additional usable footage (not far-fetched considering how badly Elvis performed in June). What is known is that CBS sent a crew to Graceland to capture additional footage in July 1977 that could be used to help fill out the hour special (Elvis was there, but was in no condition to contribute, so the crew focused on exterior shots of the mansion and grounds). Once Elvis died, CBS finished compiling what it had and moved forward with its October airing. Gary Smith later revealed in the book Channeling Elvis that he wrapped up the special by August prior to leaving on a vacation, but clearly additional editing was done after Elvis’ death.

With respect to the soundtrack, it was never publicly announced that it would be released as a tie-in to the special. Jarvis was commissioned to start work on it in August. You are correct that the EIC television special was in development/production at the time of Elvis’ death, regardless of it was completed. Whether there was definitely going to be a soundtrack is not entirely clear, although it seems probable based on history — although EOT never received a soundtrack, and if Elvis had lived and EIC was decimated in the press, perhaps no soundtrack would have been forthcoming.

croquetlawns, czeskleba and Shawn like this.
  19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

They did but the cds in the box were first available as hi-res downloads without the bonus tracks for the most part. At the time only an inferior sounding version of the I Want To Be Free master was available so they probably chose the unspliced but far superior sounding version. A great sounding version of the correct master was first released on the Jailhouse Rock vol. 2 FTD, which came out after the downloads had been released.

The Album Collection was released in 2016 but I think the first hi-res downloads were released in 2011. It's the same sources and the same mastering.

DirkM and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  20. EternalReturn

EternalReturn Forum Resident

Damn sorry about that, my first post on this thread & i mess it up :eek:
    Amazing work on all the threads so far btw, great job!

21. mark winstanley

It's all good mate.
    Please join in
    We'll be moving into the posthumous thread very soon.

Glad you're enjoying them. It's a labour of love for me, and these guys know a lot more than me... wonderful education

artfromtex, Shawn and EternalReturn like this.
  22. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

But there was no need for it to be. Johnny Cash's albums boxed set (same company) was to celebrate his 80th birthday - but there wasn't 80 discs. A concept of 60 discs for 60 years is fine IF IT FITS. If it doesn't, then don't use it. Clearly someone came up with that idea before working out that they actually need nearer 70 discs. The rule seems to be that an album was excised if it didn't contain new-to-album songs - so why wasn't You'll Never Walk Alone included? If it's because of some duplication, then Golden Records Vol 1 shouldn't have been included either!

And those last three discs are a total and utter waste of time. Of all the things they could have included, they came up with those! The 50s one is fine through the Sun years, but then they seemed to give up. Nothing from the historic 1956 TV performances, for example. Nothing from Little Rock or the final Hayride show. Where is the alternate I Beg of You? Or the first attempt at Blueberry Hill? The 60s one is a disaster - obsessed as the producers seemed to be with private recordings, so the sound quality goes back and forth between perfect and awful. So many things could have been included, like the movie version of Can't Help Falling In Love, for example. And the 70s disc shows another obsession - with Froggy Went a Courtin' and Alla En El Rancho Grande! Where are the masters from February 1972? Or the live versions of Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy from February 1970? The remake of I'll Be Home on Christmas Day is here, but not the remake of Until It;s Time For You To Go. There is no consistency - and certainly no interest in a pleasant listening experience.

But this is what I find so annoying with Sony's handling of the Elvis catalogue. It's always a case of being so far towards a really high quality product, and then they have to screw it up by doing something utterly nonsensical.

23. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

My only concern with the album box is that they were aiming it at the general market of Elvis' music buyers pricewise. They might have included it in the Complete Masters set since that collection was definitely aimed at the "deepest cuts" Elvis fan. That fan would know all about EIC and presumably would want it too. I think a FTD of the album would be the way to go. The deep cuts fans would buy it and it really wouldn't be something that a casual fan would seek out.

Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  24. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

The Complete Masters is better than The Album Collection both in content and sound quality but it is not without its own shortcomings. It OMITS take one of It's A Long Lonely Highway (the take used for the single) as just ONE glaring lifetime master not included.

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I really think that you make a strong case here as to why Elvis In Concert should have been included in the Album box set. It clearly was a project that Elvis knew about and it was going to be released even if he had lived, in some format, regardless. I remember visiting various record stores after Elvis In Concert came out and I have never seen so many copies of an album lying around. There was usually a huge stack of Moody Blue vinyl albums stacked high nearby as well. I think a lot of Elvis fans or non fans that had not bought Moody Blue shortly after his death were now buying both albums in droves, and often together, so I really connect these last two albums together. Both of these albums were Elvis's final music statement why he was alive, both in studio and in a live concert recording, and both the double album and single obtained triple platinum and gold sales status respectively. I would have definitely included Elvis In Concert in his Album Collection box set, regardless of its inconsistency, because it not only includes a few powerful and passionate performances near the very end of his concert career, but it was very successful commercial project as well. I don't think you can ignore either its powerful moments or its weaker ones, so I would have added Elvis In Concert to the Album Collection.

I pretty much agree with Jason here as well. To my ears, Elvis's version of My Way in its Aloha From Hawaii is just a little too perfect. The band, orchestra and Elvis perform it so flawlessly that if you did not hear the applause at the end of the song, you might be fooled into thinking it was a studio version. I love it for its flawless beauty, but the Elvis In Concert version of My Way grabs the listener by the throat, and both singer and band perform it as if they all were aware that, the end was indeed very near. It's sheer passion vs flawless musicality, and in Elvis's particular case, passion almost always wins out.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019