The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio - Mosaic, 1991

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chacha, Nov 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Making my way through the Mosaic Capitol Box again. On LP 6 - the boys be swingin. Wish Mosaic didn’t use so much No Noise (or what sounds like it) on this set but the music sure is great.
    Will Ramp it up sometime soon I hope - maybe Christmas present to myself!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Sweet boxset. Too spendy for me atm, but I love they did this. Wish some of the SACDs were not so expensive. I really love After Midnight. Love that disc soooo much.

chacha likes this.
  3. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Well I did just order that low-budget 22 disc original albums thing from Ebay for under 20. On Amazon too. I really want to hear some of these songs in their original format. I think that the His Musical Autobiography is mostly just chronological, but I want to get that as well. Too much monies for this guy atm though.

I am hoping the quality on the 22 originals format is not too bad.

4. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Can someone tell me how the complete set is arranged. I won't ever have money for that, but it does look nice. Way too old for my tastes as well. I thought this was new for how much it was on CD. We could use a new, affordable set available to everyone. Weird that it hasn't happened.

I'll definitely write back on how the sound of his 22 album collection is. For 20 it can't be too bad.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    chacha likes this.
  5. chacha

Aa far as I remember, the Capitol set is all chronological.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

With some real patience, the Mosaic 18CD set occasionally shows up at excellent prices. About two years ago, I bought a second copy for $100 and gave it as a gift. Copies from estates do appear now and then.

Regarding your comment that it is "way too old", I believe that great music is timeless. I understand taste differences with regard to styles, but the Capitol trio recordings are definitely timeless and in very good fidelity. It is not as if they are acoustic recordings from the early 1920's. I also believe that if someone does not fully appreciate 1940's recordings, just listen for an extended period, and the music will "blossom" as you get deeply into it.

The 22 album on 10 CD set is not the same material as on the Mosaic box, and not the same as this new 7CD box. It is Nat's later circa 1950-1964 "popular vocal" era, with little emphasis on the jazz piano or jazz trio material. It is certainly an inexpensive introduction to Nat's most popular period, but very different music. Regardless of what some reviewers say, it is not "remastered" or an upgrade. It is a bootleg. But if you have never learned about Nat's pop vocal period, and cannot afford all of the albums in official formats, you may enjoy it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Hamhead, StarThrower62, hodgo and 4 others like this.
  7. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The Mosaic set is available to stream on Amazon Music (free with Prime) - eighteen discs worth.

mpayan and Simon A like this.
  8. ispace

ispace Senior Member

I wish Resonance or another label would reissue this box set (CD & LP) with the latest mastering technology & sources.

Hamhead, hodgo, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  9. I assume you are referring to the Mosaic CD set for $100 ( a great price) and not the LP version?That’s well above $500 and beyond.
    I have and love the CD set. My favorite Nat Cole Collection.

10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Correct. I had to buy it and later decided to give it away.

11. chacha

Fantastic price on Mosaic CD for $100. Well done! I got my LP set a couple of years ago for $375 in perfect condition free shipping which made me happy.

Mazzy likes this.
  12. I'd gladly pay $375 today for that Mosaic LP set however with the CD set I really don't need it.

Having this new Resonance 10 LP box on vinyl eases that pain...:tiphat:

chacha and Simon A like this.
  13. chacha

Yes indeed. You definitely don’t need the Mosaic LP if you have CD set. I seriously doubt the LPs sound any better.
    I’m gonna get the Resonance LPs when I have the dough available.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sure is. I was pleasantly surprised. Kind of odd its on there, but hey!

Ere, Mazzy and chacha like this.
  15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

On what basis do you doubt the LPs don't sound better?? CD technology back then wasn't as good as it potentially is now; and if the files they created were high-rez enough, the LP would be a higher resolution format with which to convey them.

16. i haven’t heard the LPs to compare but the Mosaic CD set sounds extremely good.

paulmock, chacha and Simon A like this.
  17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It's easy to doubt something you've never experienced for yourself so I would not really put much weight into such statements. The Mosaic set, whether on LP or CD, is an essential set to own. Choosing between the two is a personal thing. I'll say this about the LP set though. I have never read a negative review for any of the Mosaic LP releases from that era. The quality of new vinyl in 1993 was still excellent and Scott and the gang have always taken their releases very seriously. I have no doubt that the owners of these Mosaic LP sets are still extremely happy with their purchases.

teag, paulmock and Mazzy like this.
  18. AnalogJ

I have Amazon Prime. It's not available through that. It IS available through Amazon Music Unlimited, which is a separate program to which you can subscribe.

Ere and Simon A like this.
  19. chacha

I say that because it seems to me there's a fair amount of No Noise type processing applied to the Mosaic which takes a lot of the air out of the recordings. The LPs sound fine to me sonically but not great as a result. Maybe some lucky person who has both LPs & CDs can chime in with a definitive comparison.

20. AnalogJ

I don't doubt that either. Mosaic did really good work (and sounded even better when they went all analog). But @chacha made an assumption that the LPs wouldn't sound better than the CDs. Digital sourced albums can sound better on LP.

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I did an A/B comparison between the CD and LP when it came out (a friend bought the LP). He had an extremely high end turntable system and an off-the-shelf CD player. They sounded the same. But the CD did not have any of the common faults of the vinyl, and was far easier to play.

frightwigwam, RSteven, MMM and 3 others like this.
  22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Under what search criteria would I find it?

23. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Now that makes sense. But it's odd that the set doesn't show up in the lower tier of Amazon streaming. There is usually an indication in Prime Music that more titles are available in Unlimited which is how Amazon advertises it.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You know, I checked earlier and even under Amazon Unlimited it only has an abbreviated version now. Drag.

48 tracks. Search “Nat King Cole Trio”

25. ispace

ispace Senior Member

The Complete Capitol Recordings is on Spotify too. 349 songs, 16 hr 52 min.

The Complete Capitol Recordings Of The Nat King Cole Trio

frightwigwam and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.