Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Just for a bit of fun, seeing this thread is drying up now, this guy has got it DOWN.:D
    Check out his other covers like “Birthday”
    (YouTube name :AllYouNeedIsLub)

He has talent, to mimic anyway.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. Glenn Christense

I’m going to give this one bump for the morning crew her .
    The thread is basically dead, so I’d like folks to have a chance to listen to the good cover of
    “Because” I posted above late last night.

bherbert likes this.
  3. I felt to guilty for ignoring your earlier post that I went to it just now, and was quite impressed. It's nice that he happened to be born into a set of octuplets. :)

4. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Adkchaz, jeighson1, FJFP and 4 others like this.
  5. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

Abbey Road Atmos version. What's the DR ???

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Doubt you can get a true reading of DR on the atmos mix. Processing is involved...closest you could get is the 8 channels used before the processing. I will post that when I get to my PC later. Maybe someone has it already?

JediJoker and Beefalo like this.
  7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

foobar2000 1.4 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2019-11-06 19:06:23
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Beatles / Abbey Road
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -0.02 dB -15.00 dB 4:21 ?-Output.split-001
    DR11 -0.02 dB -14.64 dB 3:02 ?-Output.split-002
    DR13 -0.02 dB -18.94 dB 3:28 ?-Output.split-003
    DR12 0.00 dB -14.90 dB 3:27 ?-Output.split-004
    DR12 -0.01 dB -15.02 dB 2:51 ?-Output.split-005
    DR11 -0.02 dB -13.61 dB 7:47 ?-Output.split-006
    DR12 -0.02 dB -17.28 dB 3:06 ?-Output.split-007
    DR10 -1.73 dB -19.70 dB 2:46 ?-Output.split-008
    DR13 0.00 dB -19.34 dB 4:03 ?-Output.split-009
    DR11 -0.02 dB -16.39 dB 2:26 ?-Output.split-010
    DR12 -0.02 dB -15.23 dB 1:06 ?-Output.split-011
    DR10 -0.02 dB -14.03 dB 1:13 ?-Output.split-012
    DR12 -0.02 dB -14.18 dB 1:59 ?-Output.split-013
    DR11 -0.02 dB -18.75 dB 1:32 ?-Output.split-014
    DR11 -0.02 dB -15.27 dB 1:36 ?-Output.split-015
    DR10 -0.02 dB -13.34 dB 2:22 ?-Output.split-016
    DR6 -6.28 dB -26.45 dB 0:24 ?-Output.split-017
    Number of tracks: 17
    Official DR value: DR11
    Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 8
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 9216 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

8. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

Thank you for this. Much appreciated.
    To my ears the Atmos seemed quite a bit louder than the 5.1. I thought it might be compressed.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  9. Here’s what I don’t get—the outtakes in the set sound fantastic—as did the outtakes in the Sgt. Pepper and White Album sets. They exhibit a crystal clear quality and immediacy that is missing from the remixed album. The outtakes had to be mixed, obviously. I just wonder why the mixing approach was so different between the two if increased clarity was the supposed objective for the remix. I’m not knocking the remix, but from a sound quality perspective it isn’t any different from the original album. The outtakes, however, are.

bherbert, tedg65, Chris M and 7 others like this.
  10. Satchmo Distel

Satchmo Distel Well-Known Member

Because Giles isn't constrained on the outtakes by feeling he has to honour his dad's intentions when he mixed the original masters.

It needs to be done by someone not beholden to family loyalty.

bherbert and JediJoker like this.
  11. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

A great example is how amazing the snare drum sounds on the outtakes of "Good Morning Good Morning" but completely lifeless in the remix of the proper track.

bherbert, Onder, Gila and 2 others like this.
  12. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

13. In order to "trust YOUR EARS" one would have to purchase poor/bad masterings/sources.

1. Why should audiophiles support, by buying, inferior releases?
    &
    2. Why should people waste time, effort, & cash on releases that are obviously [w/graphs seen on a "screen"] substandard?

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't looked at the DR values. I think it sounds great. Just listening to what my ears are telling me. Just what I'm hearing on my particular stereo components too regardless of DR values.

Henny and ggjjr like this.
  15. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Billy preston on she’s so heavy is the bomb! It’s a shame someone removed it for the album. It seems the organ is more evident on something.

somnar likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Adkchaz, I agree. Billy Preston's solo on the AR Sessions Disc version of I Want You (She's So Heavy) is really great. I'm a fan of Billy's work in 1969 with The Beatles.

The Beatles "Abbey Road Anniversary Edition" Super Deluxe Box Set Review

17. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I don't know if this has been asked in this thread but has George's absence from The Ballad of John and Yoko session really been explained?

Reading between the lines, it seems that George didn't want to participate in this song so didn't turn up.

What's the general impression on this?

planckera likes this.
  18. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I thought he was just on holiday.

19. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Lewisohn writes "George, it was said, was out of the country." - my italics.

Howlett says George wasn't there because it was "none of his business" and he was "unavailable".

Sounds strange to me.

20. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Perhaps, he was busy working on "The Ballad of George and Pattie" if you know what I mean. ;)

MPLRecords likes this.
  21. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Does research indicate that Clapton played on that one?

Goobilee, planckera and Gila like this.
  22. Henny

Henny Forum Resident

I love the new Abbey Road, I think it sounds great. My ears concur. :righton:

23. Glenn Christense

Actually you joke ...but :
    Commenting in the Beatles Anthology book, Harrison said: "I didn't mind not being on the record, because it was none of my business … If it had been 'The Ballad of John, George and Yoko', then I would have been on it." :D

planckera likes this.
  24. Glenn Christense

Well, there are differing opinions on using screens to make judgments about music. Here's what Ken Scott said here a few years ago. (It's a different issue entirely but I don't think Ken was a fan of remixing albums.)

Ken:
    You know, this is why I love this forum. You guys make me laugh, you make me think and then something like this makes me really, REALLY pissed off.
    Music is meant to be listened to. A vast majority of the music that is discussed here was recorded before people started to look at screens to determine what is good or bad. Everything from where a snare beat should lay to whether someone is in tune to is there too much bass is today determined by a monitor. That's just wrong.

We are really not that far away from a piece of electronic equipment determining if a piece of music should be released or not. Mind you, that's probably not too much worse than the people that make that decision today.

I made a conscious choice, a long, long time ago to not learn about electronics. All I wanted to know was how turning one knob as opposed to another would modify what I was hearing. I didn't, and still don't, care if adding that one extra notch @10k will overload capacitor C4 which will cause harmonic distortion. If it sounds good do it. If it sounds bad don't.

Anyway, enough of my ranting, please listen and like, or not like. PLEASE don't allow a screen to make the decision for you.

Cheers.

bherbert, fishcane, MoonPool and 7 others like this.
  25. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Yes, Howlett gives that quote in the Abbey Road book too.

It gives the impression that George could have been there if he'd wanted to but that he wasn't too interested in the subject of the song.

This impression is compounded by the fact that two days later, hey presto, George was in the same studio to work on Old Brown Shoe with Paul and John.

If he HAD been on holiday or even abroad, as is often said, it was a quick trip. On the 9th of April he was at a photo shoot in Greater London with the other Beatles. So at most he could only have been away for five or six days before returning for Old Brown Shoe.

The Beatles Bible says George was looking for a new house to buy, which seems quite possible.

But in this case I think he could have got to the Ballad session if he'd really wanted to.

Glenn Christense likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.